Good job CPD! You averted what could've been a major disaster!

Casper

I can't fault them on this. Someone came across a container designed to hold live ordinance. Who knows what could have been in it. They acted appropriately IMO

THEY knew what could be in it, because they x-rayed. I think they blew the top off because they were called in and it was probably just SOP. I'm sure they x-rayed it, found nothing of importance but then said "but you never know!" The amount of money and resources the people wasted by calling that in is astounding. On a list of things that are important to me or that I would call the cops for, a waterproof container in the woods is pretty low for me.

THEY knew what could be in it, because they x-rayed. I think they blew the top off because they were called in and it was probably just SOP. I'm sure they x-rayed it, found nothing of importance but then said "but you never know!" The amount of money and resources the people wasted by calling that in is astounding. On a list of things that are important to me or that I would call the cops for, a waterproof container in the woods is pretty low for me.

You know one of them was like, "hey bubba, wanna see how high we can blow this thing?".

The article did not say anything about x-ray'ing it.

The bomb squad and fire fighters detonated the ammo can and found a book, toy robot, online game and a geo-caching item, Frazer said.

If they "detonated" the can, how did a toy, a book, and an "online game" (whatever that is) survive?

Did they blow it up with a firecracker? :confused:

Better safe than sorry, I guess, but the actions seem a bit over-the-top.

Next time, save some taxpayer money and send Todd out there with some Tannerite...:D

As someone who has delt with these yearly it seems like. Ask yourself about liability. Its not so much if it is or is not....as can we risk not doing anything and risk the saftey of police/fire and the public. I could make a pretty simple ied out of an ammo can.

As to X-Ray machine being used it situational depending on what the bomb tech see's and wants to do. Xray interference could set a device off if built accordingly. And as for what they use to blow it up with is a water cannon off an eletronic robot similar to those used by the army.

Heres one on OSU from a few years ago.

ar2.jpg

Edited by SJC1000rr