why did you get off the street

Hoblick

the fun part of street riding for me was always primarily based on the ability to accelerate rapidly.

I enjoyed bombing through the metroparks, but my EX wasn't the best handling bike, nor were the leaf-covered roads confidence inspiring to go fast on.

So if I get another street bike, it might be cruiser-ish. Noisy, and (moderately) fast in a straight line. I get my fix of curves at the track.

Essentially I'd want a bike that does everything an 80's or 90's mustang/camaro/trans am would be good for. Noise, and acceleration. The bike will just do it cheaper, and faster :p

I can honestly say that after my first trackday at Nelson Ledges last Oct.,All I can think about is that April can't come soon enough to do more.

I will still do an occasional street ride or commute to work on my Buell,but it doesn't give my the rush of going as fast as I can.

Plus my wife is learning to ride and she told me she would never track ride !

You could always be like the R1assassin. Show up, half ass ride and bitch about everything as to why he is not going fast.

You won't be saying that when I late brake you going into 7 at Mid-O and take the line from your bitch ass.

Because I found the track.

I've never quit riding the street, and ride much less track than I used to, but once I rode a track, the street just "wasn't good enough". I'd rather have the fear associated with going into turn one than the fear of someone in a minivan turning across my path, or some jackass texting coming into my lane.

I like it when everyone is going in the same direction. And fast. And faster.

You won't be saying that when I late brake you going into 7 at Mid-O and take the line from your bitch ass.

craig, when are we doing a mid ohio day with blue03626assassin? i will film this awe inspiring maneuver.

I've had this conversation a few times before. All I can say is too each their own.

I think aggressive riding on the street is just a slightly different set of skills, and not for everyone. Different lines, line of sight, etc.

I would say I typically carry more corner speed on a street ride than I did at the KTM day. No doubt, some of that was due to riding a KTM that didn't belong to me, but the KTM was actually pretty similiar to my 1125R.

Again, I thought the track was fun, I just didn't get the 'bug.'

The problem is that street riders are typically using habits that are not conducive to doing things right. Whereas, if you went to the track, learned to properly ride the bike and understand the limits of that bike, you will become a far better street rider.

Of course, the guys that do not do much if any track stuff will chime in and disagree and that's totally cool. But, after 16 plus years racing and around 22 years of overall motorcycle riding, I am here to tell you that track riding will make you a far better street rider than without.

It's all about reserve and I've used this numerous times. There's a reserve that is available when you ride. That reserve is used when shit gets out of hand or pops up when you least expect it. Deer in the road, car pulls out, corner is tighter than you thought, gravel, etc... If your reserve is high enough, you can get through it safer than had you been riding with a smaller amount of reserve and needed it. So, if you ride at 80% of your ability and need some reserve, there ain't as much had you been riding at 60%...

Track riding allows you to ride at 60% and be safer and yet faster and more adaptable than had you not been at the track. The variables you learn at the track are things you cannot learn on the street. No matter how fast one thinks they are...

I can take two kids and take one and teach them things at the track and then dump them on the street and they will shine more than a kid that sticks solely with street and learning on their own. Remember the old saying that just because one has a load of experience, doesn't mean that they have been doing it poorly all this time and the experience they have isn't good...

My feelings are that anytime one can learn something to better themselves, it is a positive. But, I am a little biased... But, I also see a LOT of people with "years" of experience ride around me on the street and their skill sets are very low in ability and they tend to ride well beyond their means... Happens a ton.

I ride a little street. Not much at all and typically I have zero interest in riding in groups. I actually hate it. But, willing to if I know the people and trust them. But, I enjoy track too much. It allows me to learn and develop skills all along the way even after so many years. So many young pups to learn from, to develop myself with and to understand things every time I ride. I try and do things to better myself every time I ride a bike. Street never offers that to me. I tend to ride because I enjoy it (Street) and feel it is a great way to get away from the real world, but in the end, it doesn't offer what the track does for me. But, as you say... To each their own.

Im going toward more track than street. I found that after a day at the track my need to ride street was gone for awhile. I also saw huge improvements in my riding after hitting the track. Hopefully by next year Ill be able to ride more track and have a different bike for the street.

I wont stop riding street but will prolly do a different kind of street riding. I enjoy the touring aspect of it and seeing different places. I love doing that now but on a SS it gets a little uncomfortable. That is why I am looking a VFR or Vstrom for everyday/touring type riding.

I have to agree with Brian. I used to go on 400+ mile rides on the weekend doing stupid things. After getting on the track my road riding actually slowed down. I didn't need to turn it up or act like a fool. Slowly it started to be more of a hassle to ride on the road. I found it easier to jump in my truck listen to the music and maybe drink my coffee... I hated the fact that I needed to find a place to park the bike without the worry that it was going to get pushed over or taken. I also had to worry about my gear and if I was bringing anything where to put it.

The funny thing was I had seven bikes to ride and the bike that got the most use was my scooter. It was so much easier to jump on that thing and go than pulling out one of my other bikes.

Don't get me wrong I still love riding my bikes but the track (Dirt or pavement) seemed to pacify my urges to ride on the street.

Eh, this is my first year without a street legal sportbike and thus the first year turning nearly zero street miles and I'm okay with that. If I'm in the mood then messing around in some technical parts of the city on the sumo and turning things into a racetrack somewhat is fun. Its better with another rider around to help kick up the aggression/competition. Dunno, I live an incredibly docile life so for me there's something about riding a small bike fast.

For what it's worth' date=' I've witnessed more crashes in 4 track days than I've witnessed in 8 years of group street rides.[/quote']

It's not worth shit! :D

But I will follow up your statement with a question: Of all the crashes at track days, how many were able to get up and dust themselves off? And the same question goes for group street rides?

I know people can ride hard on the street but I honestly don't think it's the same as on the track....at least for me it isn't.

BubbleBoy1.jpg

:lol: Bubbles keep us safe.

Not another track vs street debate. I ride for the fun of it, and love the street. I hate traffic, that's about it. I ride for the joy of it, not the race. I turn it up a lot though, but I try to keep it as safe as I can and never where I can put someone in danger. I don't care what other people think or do with their riding time. I know what I enjoy and they can do wtf they want. I choose the street because it's always available and it's a blast as long as it's not in the city.

• Upvote 1

I was once on a ride where a small displacement bike went down in the middle of the road and some guy tried to ride his tl 1000 into a field with little luck LOL! He rode home with a slightly more used bike but learned from it. I have still never done a track day, and don't see one in my near future. I guess I dont see the draw of the track. I am more drawn to go ride with my buddies for 10 hours then to ride in 20 min sets on the same 11 turns?

For what it's worth' date=' I've witnessed more crashes in 4 track days than I've witnessed in 8 years of group street rides.[/quote']

Crashing in trackdays do happen, but its usually a lowside and a slide with full leathers on instead of hitting a car, deer, tree, etc... Obviously you can get hurt doing either, but when everyone is in the same gear and going the same direction it makes things a lot safer.. They both have thier risks.

I currently don't have a street bike, but I am looking for something cheap and more comfortable.. Mabe a vfr, fz1, ducati monster, etc... I only ride 1000 miles or so a year on the street, and that is plenty for me.. On a super nice day I like grabbin the bike and going for a ride, but I haven't had a streetbike for about a year now and really haven't missed it..

When I first started track riding I had a 2007 1098 for the street and a 2005 cbr1000 repsol for the street.. I quickly sold the repsol for a trackbike, and then decided to get a bike that was 100% ama race ready, so I sold my 1098 and got my 2009 zx6r and sold the 1098.. I put more money into my gear, better trailer, warmers, generator, etc etc... I have way more fun on that bike than I ever did with a SUPERBIKE on the street..

I think street bikes are fun and fine, but its retarded to do what I did and have a 1098 or cbr1000 or r1, or any superbike as a streetbike.. They are uncomfortable and you can't do 1/2 of what they are made for.. You are better off getting something comfortable that you can still have fun on and go just as fast as any superbike on the street...

For people who like to ride fast and love sportbikes it would boggle my mind for them to get on the track and not get the bug.. its the most fun thing I've ever done in my life.. To keep going and keep getting faster and improving is such a cool feeling.. Not to mention the friends you make and having fun in the pits with others that share the same passion.. what a blast!

I was once on a ride where a small displacement bike went down in the middle of the road and some guy tried to ride his tl 1000 into a field with little luck LOL! He rode home with a slightly more used bike but learned from it. I have still never done a track day, and don't see one in my near future. I guess I dont see the draw of the track. I am more drawn to go ride with my buddies for 10 hours then to ride in 20 min sets on the same 11 turns?

HA.. First of all.. 20 minutes will wear your ass out.. Secondly 11 turns that will challenge you everytime you go in them.. Then add passing and getting passed.. what a rush!

This is my first trackday after 2 years of street riding (Street Experience)

merace4.jpg

merace1.jpg

This is 2 years later with 2 years of track experience

kneedownbaby.jpg

putnumfinal.jpg

Same track... Same turns... Obviously its just a picture, but its crazy how much I've improved as a rider in 2 years...

If you want to be a better all around rider.. GO TO THE TRACK!

HA.. First of all.. 20 minutes will wear your ass out.. Secondly 11 turns that will challenge you everytime you go in them.. Then add passing and getting passed.. what a rush!

Come on a 500 mile ride with thousands of curves and just a few stops. that will wear your ass out :-)

Edited by Tpoppa

This can happen for sure, but realize that the speeds and level you ride on the track isn't anywhere near what you ride on the street and if you had a group that did, there would be more crashes on the street...

It isn't a fair comment to say you see more crashes when the differences are so big... But, I understand what you are sayin.