Moving a bike when you have a mustang

progrmr

I'm looking at a bike (Suzuki Intruder VS800) in Dayton this weekend and if it's as good as it seems I'll probably be making the purchase.

Only problem is I have a Mustang and no way I'm riding in this cold ass weather!

Is it possible to get a U-Haul and put the bike in it? Or maybe I could rent a pickup truck with a hitch and use one of those small trailers?

What's the best way to move a bike when you only have a car?

I'm looking at a bike (Suzuki Intruder VS800) in Dayton this weekend and if it's as good as it seems I'll probably be making the purchase.

Only problem is I have a Mustang and no way I'm riding in this cold ass weather!

Is it possible to get a U-Haul and put the bike in it? Or maybe I could rent a pickup truck with a hitch and use one of those small trailers?

What's the best way to move a bike when you only have a car?

When I brought my intruder home from TN we used a 08 tacoma and just stuck it in the bed (tied down).

uhaul has bike trailers so if you have a friend with an SUV or Truck borrow it and go

However be warned, The overall length on the Volusia is just over 8' so if you want to put it in the bed of a truck you're gonna need a low sitting truck with a decently lengthy ramp

Well, turns out the seller doesn't live in Dayton Oh...he lives in MI! Posted his bike on the Dayton OH CL lol!

I'm not going clear to MI for a VS800 lol....still good advice given since buying a bike this time of the year pretty much needs to be transported unless it happens to get warm enough.

Edited by progrmr

Well, turns out the seller doesn't live in Dayton Oh...he lives in MI!

I'm not going clear to MI for a VS800 lol....still good advice given since buying a bike this time of the year pretty much needs to be transported unless it happens to get warm enough.

if you find one in my neck of the woods(43019) ill help ya tote it home.

When I bought my XX back in the winter of 2008, I rented a cargo van from enterprise, drove it to the seller's house in new jersey, paid him cash, loaded it up, and drove it home...

A couple decent rachet straps, a piece of 2X8 lumber, and a gentle throttle foot got her home with no problems...

I think the cargo van was $60 or something from enterprise for the weekend...

I'd definitely suggest this route as its kinda like a rolling garage, and it allows you to keep a closer eye on the bike in transit. also you can bring a friend along to help load/strap/keep an eye on the bike.

Not that it would have been an option.. but have you seen the tow dollys for bikes? you strap the front tire into it and the rear tire freewheels. At under $200 shipped its cheaper than a trailer for 1 bike, easier to store since its smaller, and better mpg than pulling a trailer.

Not that it would have been an option.. but have you seen the tow dollys for bikes? you strap the front tire into it and the rear tire freewheels. At under $200 shipped its cheaper than a trailer for 1 bike, easier to store since its smaller, and better mpg than pulling a trailer.

Take the chain off or you'll trash bearings in the transmission.

Just get a u haul or a moving van like Mag's said. The small u hauls are nice due to the built in ramps for loading.

the only downside to Uhaul is they charge per mile on their trucks, for a trip to jersey it was WAY cheaper to go enterprise with unlimited miles. Just had to buy a 2 x 6...:cool: (which by the way, an 8 footer was barely strong enough to load up a 500 lb bike over it's full length, get a 6 footer if going heavier)

Edited by magley64

the only downside to Uhaul is they charge per mile on their trucks, for a trip to jersey it was WAY cheaper to go enterprise with unlimited miles. Just had to buy a 2 x 6...:cool: (which by the way, an 8 footer was barely strong enough to load up a 500 lb bike over it's full length, get a 6 footer if going heavier)

Problem with a six foot ramp is that you might high center a cruiser on it as the front wheel gets into the bed. I've use a Rube Goldberg contraption of spare tires and two 8 foot 2x10s to load bikes into my truck. The bumper is really high. My house has a nice hill to back against though, don't even need a ramp for dirtbikes in that case. Makes it nice

6 inches is pretty narrow for a ramp, you're a braver man that I. I'll spring the extra few bucks for a 10.

uhaul also rents motorcycle trailers. no milage, and they are like 40 or 50 bucks i think

DSCN3082.JPG