I'm thinking about being a motorcycle instructor...

magley64

I've been an instructor in Ohio and also Riders Edge now for 10 yrs.... I love it for several reasons. there are no real pitfalls to it, once you have taken the BRC and applied the folks at Motorcycle Ohio (I take it you are in Ohio) will work with you to get you scheduled for the Instructor Course.

I schedule how many and when I want the classes.

I enjoy meeting people and helping them figure out about riding a motorcycle.

It is a good way to pay for my MC addiction.

Go to Motorcycle.ohio.gov and check it out.

Oh... I do know of a couple of "pitfalls".... you get to teach in the cold, the rain and hot sun. But what the heck; I ride in that weather too...

IF YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR RIDING AND LOVE SHARING THAT PASSION; YOU'LL FIT RIGHT IN....

I've been an instructor in Ohio and also Riders Edge now for 10 yrs.... I love it for several reasons. there are no real pitfalls to it, once you have taken the BRC and applied the folks at Motorcycle Ohio (I take it you are in Ohio) will work with you to get you scheduled for the Instructor Course.

I schedule how many and when I want the classes.

I enjoy meeting people and helping them figure out about riding a motorcycle.

It is a good way to pay for my MC addiction.

Go to Motorcycle.ohio.gov and check it out.

Oh... I do know of a couple of "pitfalls".... you get to teach in the cold, the rain and hot sun. But what the heck; I ride in that weather too...

IF YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR RIDING AND LOVE SHARING THAT PASSION; YOU'LL FIT RIGHT IN....

Do you get to choose where you teach or do they bounce you around?

I was talking to my instructor when I took the course and he said working in the cold and rain, and hot sucks, but if you do a course more than 100 miles from your house (or maybe it was an hour? I forget, maybe Beemn can chime in on that), or something like that you get paid $800 for the weekend.

He said he just does the classes to pay for his track days throughout the year. You have to be a licensed rider for four years or more. I definitely want to do it because it seems like fun and can pay pretty well. The instructor also said the state was basically begging for instructors, but that was like five years ago so maybe things have changed since then.

I was just looking at the requirements and it seems like some of them are a little sucky. You have to have taken the BRC within the past two years in order to be an instructor or else you have to take it again. So if you want to be an instructor this season, you need to get scheduled for the BRC NOW. I printed off an app for me and a buddy, I might just look into this a bit further.

This will be my 5th year as an instructor. It is fun, challenging, and rewarding. It also can wear you out! The pay isn't bad but you can't always count on getting lots of classes. There are almost 300 MO instructors currently and they keep training more without adding more classes. We are at the mercy of the state budget and things like this are less important than a lot of other things... like police and fire protection. So if the budget belt keeps getting tighter, there will be even less cash to keep this program affordable. So if you want to help people learn, do it. If you want to make consistent extra money, get a part-time job so that those of us who WANT to help people do it right can have a chance. Good luck.

I never got $800 and I taught all over, it was more like $645 I believe... also the state changed the way the classes are sponsored last year and it is now up to the individule sponsor; usually a college or school as to how the pay is structured. some where around $300 - 350 and maybe some additional if you are over 45-50 miles away from home. MO is looking for instructors so get on line and contact them and get the ball rolling if you are interested, they can give you the best info.... but money is not the reason I do it.

What about not being able to ride when you are instructing as a negative. I don't have near as many weekends available to ride as I would like to have now. Might be a nice easy retirement gig for some pocket change but I would rather have my riding weekends free to do with as I please. If helping others is what you like to do get into some group rides there is always someone needing help plus you still get to ride, the pay sucks but how much would you pay to have a nice weekend to ride?

What about not being able to ride when you are instructing as a negative.

this is definitely one thing I considered, most of the classees only last until 2pm, so that probably still leaves plenty of time to ride... but I agree, it might suck to miss out on seat time.

I love to ride as much as anyone, and I find plenty of time for on the road riding but I also find working with people just getting into riding and those with experience who are taking the class to be very rewarding for me. For me it is not a negative. That is a good thing to think about before committing to being a MSF instructor, yet you only have to teach 2 classes per season to maintain certification so that still leaves plenty of seat time too.

I'm not a teacher but I appreciate those that can.... thanks. My wife took a MSF course last year. I tried to teach her before she went and it was a nightmare. Since her course it is actually fun to help her improve.

I am a Motorcycle Ohio Instructor and enjoy it immensely. I you like working with all types of people and teaching new skills, you will enjoy being an instructor. If you want to do this for the money or any other reason, don't bother. The hours are long, the environment can be challenging. Standing in forty degree rain or ninety degree sun for six hours can test your endurance. If you love to teach motorcycling it's all good - otherwise it sucks.