Looking for shop suggestions

jayjie15

Hello,

Towards the end of the riding season last year my bike had some issues staying running at an idle. It would try and stall out when at rest or at stop lights. I assume the problem is probably with carbs as they haven't been synced or cleaned in a very long time. Or the problem may be linked to needing new spark plugs. I turned the idle pin just to see if this would mike a difference and it just made the bike idle higher but it still wanted to quit. Also, when I would be in motion the bike seemed under powered from where it was the last few riding seasons. The moral of the story is I live in Willoughby and do not have the mechanical ability to address this problem. I dont' want to pay a million dollars for someone to the work because the bike simply isn't worth that much. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good shop in the area?

Thanks!

I put Stabil in it and have the battery on a tender. It does still have the issue. It sits over the winter just like any other bike in Ohio. I believe the carbs were sync'd about 5 seasons ago badly but it always ran fine. The only issue I can think of proceeding this is when in 1st gear it would sputter while not in the throttle and moving really slow.

Yes it does run better with the choke on. I have heard words that carb clean is like 3 to 4 bills if you pay someone to do it. I like my bike and all but realistically I don't know if it is worth putting that type of coin into a bike that is probably worth 15 to 2. This isn't a job I would attempt on my own because being completely honest I don't posses the skills or the time.

$2-$250 would be reasonable and you are right it is regular mantenance. I am fully aware that through my own neglect I have boned myself. I don't have a garage and the bike rests in my shed. I guess if I had a place to work on it myself I would be more apt to give it a try. I will have to call around and see what is up. It needs other general mainenance to so someone skilled giving it the once over might not be bad a idea. I guess I need to stop being cheap... I keep hoping that I will bust it out and it will magically be fixed. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by jayjie15

I'm sorry I don't know this Pauly you speak of? I'm not against paying someone to get everything in order. If he is reasonable and skilled I am down. I do live in Willoughby though like I said. I am originally from Bula and it saddens me that everyone out there is afraid to work on carbs for some reason. Idk what is up with that if you guys say it is as easy as you say it is.

A carb clean/sync isn't an upgrade. It's regular maintenance and should be considered every few years. Regardless' date=' you aren't paying to increase the value of the bike. You're paying to increase the value of your riding experience.

Also, a bike that runs like a champ is always preferable to a bike that runs like shit. That's your call, though. None of us have to deal with it every single nice day of the year.

...$300-400 is probably average these days. Shops are charging $65-100/hour. However, I would think $2-250 would be fairly reasonable.[/quote']

^^ this is Pauly, And he can pick up your bike for a little moneys and then take it back to his place to fix it up for a lot less money then the dealer wants.

But a yamaha might be to easy for the white ninja. He likes beat up apes more LOL!

I'm not wise to the whole forum game yet but I believe I sent you a pm with my ph#. Judging by your pic I would say you are a gun guy, as am I. Motorcycles and guns, both expensive hobbies that give you something cool to look at.

The bike emerged from the shed under it's own power. It actually started up really easily. I let it run and it idled for about 10 minutes. I rev'd it up and it shot a little flame out at top rpm. I assume it is probably running to rich but none the less it still idled well

Sorry Jay think you got the wrong guy try PM'ing isaac's papa he is the bike mech not me. I could help walk you through the carb cleaning process as I have done it many times but Paul(Isaac's Papa) has the duc rx shop we were speaking of. Let me know if you want to try to do it yourself I could swing by one day and help ya.

Honestly, try running some SeaFoam through it first. You can get it at Advanced Auto Parts and Autozone (and most other auto parts stores). It's like $10-$12 for a can. That stuff has saved me from cleaning carbs more times than I can count. If that doesn't work, definitely get a hold of Pauly aka Isaac's Papa. He's awesome and close.