Opinions on emergency tire repair kits

BULLET

I have seen these little repair kits that include the plugs and the little Co2 cartridges. Seems like a good idea especially if your out in BFE and run over something. I guess the biggest question is how well the Co2 inflates the tire back up until you could get to gas station ect. Any experiences?

I have tubes in my tires so the standard plug kit won't work. I keep a can of sealant crap like this http://www.aerostich.com/threebond-seal-n-air.html It's smaller so it fits nice in my bike. I also have one of the co2 things like you are asking about and I normally carry 3 more co2 cartridges as spares. I don't trust the can of goo or the co2 to get me home but I hope they can get me to somewhere with cell phone service so I can call for a truck to come get me.:cool:

So far, knock on wood, I have not gotten a flat so I can't really give a personal experience with either product. I can say that prior to getting this stuff for the bike I had gotten a packing staple in the rear tire. From the time I felt something wasn't right to the time I was pushing the bike was less than 3 miles. Lucky for me I was in my neighborhood when I gave up riding and started pushing.:wtf:

My Liberty Mutual includes roadside and towing and fix a flat on call, but I'd better have the phone number with me if I'm going to ever use it....

have you seen those adapter hoses that fill the tire from the engine compression? Works when you can get to the plugs. Like on an air cooled v twin or vertical twin. Sort of have to flag a Harley down if you have fairings hiding your engine....

I used to carry a simple can of air with sealant. Mostly because it might take several days to walk back to civilization....

Edited by ReconRat

plug kit and a mini 12volt air comp. under my seat at all times less than $20

%21BVZp%280%21Bmk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKjEEjlLmY6sPBKSSt0sG-%21%7E%7E_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

product_7629_500.jpg

This. The C02 inflators are ok, but it takes a bunch to fill a tire and you only get one shot at it. The compressors take a little while to air up, but they work.

Quality string plugs, properly installed, will outlast your tire. Tech brand (made in Johnstown Ohio) are the best I've ever used. Slime brand are decent, for the money. The handles like the above kit are murder on a stiff tread unless your hands are super strong. The "T" handles work shit tons better, but they're big. Luckily, I have a lot of room under my seat so I carry good ones. Also, put the string plugs in a sealed container...they can and will dry out. Nothing like pulling them out when you need them and they're brittle and useless.

Practice on a shitty tire before finding out in the low-light, on the side of the road, that you suck at putting one in. It's not hard, but a lot easier if you've done one before.

If you rip a sidewall, you're fucked...no kit works for that.

The best thing out there is the $39/year AMA membership with auto-renewal, which includes free roadside assistance. Worth the peace of mind, but NEVER rely on roadside. I've been in places where a motorcycle tow wasn't available by AMA or AAA. Carry the basic tools to limp your ass to help.

As far as tire sealant I used bicycle tire sealant when i had a hole in my tire and it worked really well...I even forgot that it was in there until i had the tire changed. The shop was not happy and asked me what the shit in my tire was. It did throw off the balance a little bit just fyi. The tire I had was only 150 miles old, lasted all the way to the threads.

these look intersting

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Standard-Model-%252d-Tire-Plugger.html I have this one and have never had to use it on the bike but know guys who have. Have used it on cars with good results...the mushroom feature keeps them from blowing out.No glue is used.I also have that same pump as you.hope I never need it.

• 3 months later...

I've used the mushroom shaped plugs for years without issue. Although it is not recommended, I've left them in when money was tight. I can say that I had a rope style plug work it's way out before.