Wifes new ride

Meanie

We picked up an '82 Yamaha Maxim XJ550. I was really dirty, and needs some TLC but all in all it's not in too bad of shape. I removed the, the previous owner tried his hand at painting, and apparently needs a few more lessons. He sanded it down and went too far into the paint he just put on, so decided to just put a sticker over that part. The seat needs to be shaved down a bit for the wife to be a little more comfortable. The tank and seat will be out of here with in the next week. I ordered a new chain to replace the original from 1982. I ordered a petcock rebuild kit to fix the original petcock and remove the tractor supply rigged one. I ordered a starter relay because the original is acting up. New front wheel bearings, the originals are leaking heavily. I picked up some brake fluid and motor oil today, the oil and air filters are also on the way. I don't believe the air filter has ever been replaced. The oil in the sight glass looks very black. The previous owner said he did an oil change about 1000 miles ago. The bike runs well, other than the chain slapping around cause it needs tightened but the guy broke a tensioner bolt while trying to tighten it down. I have one of those on the way as well. I'll post of some pictures tomorrow. I spent a few hours today just cleaning and polishing to make sure I didn't miss anything. But it looks pretty good. Now the wife needs to go get her permit and I need to order her some gear.

Those YICS engines were bulletproof. Nice first bike.

My uncle had a brand new one in 82. He kept it at my granddads shop and I used to sneak it out when I was 13 ('83) and haul ass around the country roads before sneaking it back into its exact position in the garage. Good times, but looking back it seems I had more balls than brains. Not sure when that switched.

Cool bike. I started on a KZ305. I'm 5 ft 2 so I can totally relate to needing a comfortable riding height when first starting out. One less thing to worry about. Later on, the height thing doesn't bug you as much (for the most part).

Congrats!

Mary

I spent several hours in the garage last night stripping off 2 layers of paint from the gas tank. It's almost ready to be dropped off at a friends house to be painted. I have some hand sanding to do and a little bondo work, but nothing major. Here is a pic from last night....

strippedtank.jpg

I really do dislike stripping paint.....

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so a little update. I picked the tank up from being painted yesterday. I got the rebuilt petcock installed, and the gas cap installed, reconnected the lines to the petcock and set the tank into place. I got the straightened engine guard reinstalled and proceeded to try to start the bike. It didn't want to start and eventually drained the battery. I connected the battery charger and left it go for awhile. About mid-night I tried it again before I went to bed. It fired up after a little coaxing. I tried it again this morning before leaving for work and it fired on the first try. So I am going to take it for a quick spin tonight after work.

List of repairs/mods includes:

tank painted

new brakes front and rear

new plugs

new starter solenoid

new chain

front and rear axels lubed

wheel bearing packed

brake fluid replaced

oil changed/new filter

new air filter

engine guard straightened

petcock rebuilt

seat shaved a bit

I am sure there were some other things but I don't remember them all. it seems to run pretty well. I will get a better feel for it tonight after a short ride.