track virgin, stupid questions.

Gixxus Christ!

not that it matters for me right now lol, but im curious

is a dot/ece helmet allowed at track days instead of a dot/snell ? isnt ece more strict than snell?

what about for drag racing, can you use ece instead of snell? i know some helmets are both, but i like the schuberth s2 and might get one once i pick up a new bike, but $500-600 is a lot for a helmet i cant use at the track lol

Yes, but you really need to check with the race org as to what date limits they ask for. Typically, if older than 5 years, they decline it... ECE is better than SNELL, but the bottom line is the date.

For drag racing? You need to ask a member that has experience at that. I would think they would, but cannot comment with any confidence.

i've seen some track day orgs allow the european specs over Snell. I think ECE and BSI are both well regarded helmet specs, but some track day orgs require snell to be safe.

there are plenty of helmets on sale/clearance that will easily meet track requirements.

also important, the helmet shouldnt be too old (should be more than 4-5 years old i believe) and definitely not damaged.

ok...i guess ill have to check with local drag strips and see what they say...i want to do a little drag racing and some track days next year too, so i wanna find a helmet i can do it all with...may end up with another shoei if some places are finicky about not having snell

Yes, but you really need to check with the race org as to what date limits they ask for. Typically, if older than 5 years, they decline it... ECE is better than SNELL, but the bottom line is the date.

For drag racing? You need to ask a member that has experience at that. I would think they would, but cannot comment with any confidence.

thanks brian....i like to replace helmet every 5yr anyways, unless its dirt....always been told its best to do so, and they dont cost that much compared to how often theyre used

ill call around some tracks before i buy and see what theyre saying

thanks brian....i like to replace helmet every 5yr anyways, unless its dirt....always been told its best to do so, and they dont cost that much compared to how often theyre used

ill call around some tracks before i buy and see what theyre saying

Tracks don't make the call - the race organization or sanctioning body decides that. Unless you mean a track day or open event where the track hosts?

^ I envisioned a gold wing on the track!! :lol:

I attended an X-act track day event at Little Tally last year. One of the CRs in the novice group was on his Gold Wing. He made a lot of the faster guys look silly.

Also for your water-buffalo bike types, you "MAY" have to take out the glycol anti-freeze and put in water. Depends on the track org. but it seems some are even asking for it in Novice now. STT only for I and A.

http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/track-day-regulations.html

Edited by Revelstoker

I also have a question. I have an '06 GSXR 600 that was low sided before i bought it and has a small dent in the frame. Its from the clip on or bar end slamming into it. It isn't very deep maybe 1mm or 2mm. I've closely inspected all welds on the frame and couldn't find any cracks. Will I be able to pass tech inspection with a dent in the frame?

For anyone who wants to do a trackday but never has, just show up to Nelson for an event and observe.

The $20(?) gate fee is WELL worth it to see how everything works. I will have an "ohioriders" sticker on my bike, and a lot of is have our race numbers in our signature line. Unless we have a helmet on and are throwing a leg over the bike, we are all happy to answer questions.

Also for your water-buffalo bike types, you "MAY" have to take out the glycol anti-freeze and put in water. Depends on the track org. but it seems some are even asking for it in Novice now. STT only for I and A

please swap your coolant whether it's required or not. Glycol based coolant is a bitch to clean up and could shut down the track for an hour.

The same goes for wiring your oil filler cap. It takes 30 seconds to drill plastic.

I will donate water wetter and distilled water to anyone who wants help. I can wire a full cap in under 5 minutes.

A guy on an R1 sprayed me and my bike with oil after his filler cap came off. I was not pleased.

for anyone who wants to do a trackday but never has, just show up to nelson for an event and observe.

The $20(?) gate fee is well worth it to see how everything works. I will have an "ohioriders" sticker on my bike, and a lot of is have our race numbers in our signature line. Unless we have a helmet on and are throwing a leg over the bike, we are all happy to answer questions.

this!!! ^^^^

I believe it's only $10 gate fee

Even better.

Is this also true on race day? I have people from work who want to come out and see me race, but I wouldn't ask them to drive 45 minutes and then pay $20 a head to hang out with me (not to mention be subjected to all the degenerates from this forum who might also be there :D)

I understand that there are a lot of expenses involved in running a race track, but for $10 a head, I'd expect nicer bathrooms at least...

I will say that the observation 'tower' and the food truck are both top-notch at Nelson, and the fact that anyone can grab shade in the tech shed is nice. So i'm not trying to completely shit on the facility. I just wish we could see more of what that $10 does.

so if we do a trackday on saturday, it costs $10 a person gate fee obviously. but if we go home and come back on sunday to race, it costs ANOTHER $10 per person gate fee?

The thing is, how does the gate person know you are coming back? They can give you a two day arm band, I guess, but again, it would be $20.

Trust me, $10/day is typical and the norm. Pretty cheap considering it costs that much for a 2 hour movie now...

yeah i wasn't complaining, just wondering. but you get the wrist bands at the gate when you pay so if i left it on, they would know i was just there yesterday. maybe they will give me an exception if i show them my band from the day before haha

I'm heading up to Mid-Ohio with a friend for my first novice day on 12 May 2012. I've got about 6 years of riding experience, 4 on sportbikes. I was advised to start in Intermediate, but I feel I might miss some important things by doing that as far as skill/safety development, as well as I don't want to feel pressured that early on. Because of this I am prepping my bike for Intermediate for the chance that I pick it up fast enough to be bumped.

My Prep Plans:

I will be torquing every bolt I can find on that bike.

Safety wiring fill plug, drain plug, filter, radiator cap, and brake lever retaining nut (Because I'm paranoid).

Flushing cooling system and replacing with Water Wetter mix.

Taping lights.

Removing mirrors.

Removing light fuse or disconnecting wiring.

Taping speedometer.

Remove license plate.

Clean, lube and adjust chain.

Flush brake fluid and replace with High-Temp.

Duct tape wheel weights.

Secure valve caps.

Overkill I know, but it will only take a few hours and then the bike is good for whatever. Not to mention that I will know everything is there and tight.

Gear:

Helmet

Leathers (Novice/Intermediate allows Textile suits w/ >50% zippered)(Mid-Ohio also rents 40-48 sized leathers)

Gauntlet gloves

Racing boots

Undersuit

Back protector

The list of tools and stuff coming along is extensive as well. I'd suggest making a checklist. But hopefully this helps.