track virgin, stupid questions.

Gixxus Christ!

You're so smooth Keith Stone. Everytime I read a post I am amazed by your infinite wisdom. I cannot wait to spend countless hours with you this weekend for our Putnam trip. Remember, you are riding up front with me, Mikey is in the back.

Just how I like it.

Also, don't go into the day expecting to get a bump. Show up like you have never been on a bike and absorb as much info as you can. If you make that jump to I too quick you will more than likely suffer later.

You should never do your first day in I group, that is a really bad idea. They go over flags, getting on and off track, ect.

I agree. That is why I'm running Novice but prepping for higher. At least the option is there should it be available and appropriate.

same with STT or most orgs, they would rather take the lower rental. The problem is the track figures how many will show (riders, guests) and raise the rent to somewhat account for that. It would be nice if Todd or whoever could just cut a check for the riders and charge us the extra $10 leaving only the guests to pay at the gate.

For spectators, I get the gate fee, but for those of us already paying $150 to ride, I don't like it.

Just charge me $160 for the track day.

I don't get it. It's the same damn thing. Typically, the track gets that or a portion. Logistically, it's easier to make it seperate.

It's that way everywhere man. No matter who you race with. An age old debate.

I don't get it. It's the same damn thing. Typically, the track gets that or a portion. Logistically, it's easier to make it seperate.

it just messes with my budgeting, and my inability to carry cash. Plus I don't understand what 'service' is being provided for the spectators. What is that $10 paying for? the privilege to use shitty bathrooms (pun intended) and buy food from their concession stand?

I honestly think they'd do better to have a $0 gate fee, and a more extensive food and beverage array.

...but mostly I'm just complaining about getting nickel-and-dime'd when I'm already paying a healthy sum of money to be there. it's psychologically different, even if it's functionally the same.

meh, just tack on $10 to your track day budget and call it "increased transparency" on part of the track lol

or, sometimes, the gate lady(ies) will fall in love with your puppy pal in the passenger seat and let you in anyway.

meh, just tack on $10 to your track day budget and call it "increased transparency" on part of the track lol

or, sometimes, the gate lady(ies) will fall in love with your puppy pal in the passenger seat and let you in anyway.

So that's why you wait until the track to cook them

maybe its just me and my bad memory, but i dont remember mid ohio having a gate fee or grattan with STT having one. again, maybe they did but i just dont remember

maybe its just me and my bad memory, but i dont remember mid ohio having a gate fee or grattan with STT having one. again, maybe they did but i just dont remember

I visit different private events at Mid-Ohio and have never paid a gate fee. NESBA advertises that none of their events have gate fees. It's nice to have people stop by and visit and not hit them up for $10 apiece.

It's also like a cover charge at a bar - I'm a paying customer and you have to get me for a few more bucks at the door? Paying that bothers me, though paying $5 for a Bud Light does not.

P.S. When I was racing SCCA entry fees included not only myself but 3 or 4 people on a "crew list." Not only did they not have to pay, but they got to feel special because they could tell the guy at the gate that they were "on the list". ;)

Edited by brn6604

Mid-Ohio does it's own track events and has that built in to the track day fee. Again, this is completely normal - especially any race weekends...

If someone doesn't have $20 capable of being in their pockets and it sets them back because they cannot use their CC, I think racing isn't a good idea...;)

I visit different private events at Mid-Ohio and have never paid a gate fee. NESBA advertises that none of their events have gate fees. It's nice to have people stop by and visit and not hit them up for $10 apiece.

It's also like a cover charge at a bar - I'm a paying customer and you have to get me for a few more bucks at the door? Paying that bothers me, though paying $5 for a Bud Light does not.

P.S. When I was racing SCCA entry fees included not only myself but 3 or 4 people on a "crew list." Not only did they not have to pay, but they got to feel special because they could tell the guy at the gate that they were "on the list". ;)

BUT YOU WERE STILL PAYING THE FEES!!!!

Look, guys... NESBA... Look at their cuts and what they've ended up having to do. They are also non-profit. They also do not have a race series. Mid-Ohio is as mentioned above. As for the private events, again, it is the track holding those events and they make it via your track day or private event fees.

MS rents the track. The contract typically is that Nelson will get a set fee and that is usually through the gate. Then, the entry fees are to the organization. MS is a profit making organization and needs to make money to keep doing this for all of us. Their fees are legit and actually competitive and really, pretty cheap. Sign up for the race and the track day on Saturday is REALLY cheap.

This gate fee thing is seriously overkill to talk about. If it were $20 a day? Sure. But, $10/day is really more than fair... in truth, it is $20 if you arrive for the start of the race day if it were WERA. That may have changed, but that is what it used to be and then $10 at noon or halfway through the day and $10 for spectators...