track virgin, stupid questions.

Gixxus Christ!

I'm very interested in doing a track day, just have no idea what gear I need for me and what all I have to do to my bike. I'm an aircraft mechanic so I'm familiar with safety wiring, does every bolt on the bike need wired? Drop some knowledge on me, track gurus.

• Upvote 1

Novice day is easy.

Bike:

Tape all headlights/taillights/turn signals

Have newer/good shape tires

You:

Full Face Helmet

Gauntlet style gloves

Over the ankle boots

Leather 2 piece or one piece suit

(The leather suit may be of a two piece construction, but most have a full circumference zipper. You can rent at track too).

Track day organizations like Motoseries rent the track. Motoseries runs quite a bit at Nelson and not sure who else this year. So you will have to meet the trackday organizations Novice requirements in this case Motoseries which can be found here http://www.motoseries.com/trackday_info.htm You can do a novice day there but through Motoseries.

Mid Ohio runs their own stuff. They have their own school/requirements but its basically same.

There is usually a strong OR crowd at Motoseries events. Jbot, APCh8r, Blue03636 all instruct the Novice group so you could tag along with a OR instructer and they will take care of you. I recommend Jbot :D

Heres Motoseries policy on textile....asking never hurt and renting/borrowing a set of leathers is an option

Full one piece Aerostich style suits are permitted for touring and cruiser style motorcycles in the Instructional group in lieu of leathers.

Track day organizations like Motoseries rent the track. Motoseries runs quite a bit at Nelson and not sure who else this year. So you will have to meet the trackday organizations Novice requirements in this case Motoseries which can be found here http://www.motoseries.com/trackday_info.htm You can do a novice day there but through Motoseries.

Mid Ohio runs their own stuff. They have their own school/requirements but its basically same.

There is usually a strong OR crowd at Motoseries events. Jbot, APCh8r, Blue03636 all instruct the Novice group so you could tag along with a OR instructer and they will take care of you. I recommend Jbot :D

This is how Mike brings in his new people so he can anal pound them, be careful, Grapesmuggler learned the hard way and is still bitter about it.

If you want some good info read the trackday sticky's or just browse a few pages deeper. Anything you can think of has been asked or is posted in a sticky. Once you start, you won't stop, trust me. Kind of MyKill's philosophy.

I'm very interested in doing a track day, just have no idea what gear I need for me and what all I have to do to my bike. I'm an aircraft mechanic so I'm familiar with safety wiring, does every bolt on the bike need wired? Drop some knowledge on me, track gurus.

usually the 3 things you must safety wire is the oil drain plug, the oil fill plug and the oil filter. the filter you can wrap with a hose clamp and safety wire it to something. or if the screw part will rest against something to keep if from turning that's good enough.

don't forget to bring food, water, drinks, something for shade, chairs, and tools.

adjust chain to proper specs

tires have to be in decent shape

mirrors off

tape up lights (I also pull the light's fuses)

gear:

over the wrist gloves

over the ankle boots

leathers 1 or 2 pc with full circumference zipper or aerostitch like suits are often ok too.

dot/snell helmet that isn't past the expiration date (older than like 5-7 years).

Novice is usually just as basic as you can get. Everyone nailed it on what needs done.

Novice prep should only take about 5-10 min, motoseries requires that you tape over glass so unless your lights are glass you don't have to do it. I still like to see it done so that the person behind you can't see your brake light, people tend to freak when they see them. If you do tape over your headlight, pull the plug or fuse so the headlight doesn't try to melt the tape, it can be a bitch to get off.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm not far from you I could stop up. Also, if you do a motoseries day I can give you a hand in the morning before you go through tech.

It's very easy like was stated earlier.

We could easily help you prep your bike in the morning before, no worries. Should have tires in good shape (don't worry about what kind of tires they are, for the most part, but if you're not sure, just tell us what you have mounted).

Usually the gear is the biggest challenge for new track riders. I believe motoseries rents gear for $35 for the suit. Maybe a couple bucks for other stuff. You can also try to post up your size and some one might be nice enough to lend you their spare suit or whatnot. If you think you'll be doing spirited riding in se Ohio or more tack days, I would just try to buy a cheap used one or one on sale.

If you have more questions, feel free to pm me.

Thanks guys, I would probably rent a suit at first. Tires are brand new bt-014's, shouldn't be a problem with the bike prep. I'm finding my skills are vastly out stripping the road conditions and the law around here and I want to push my bike, see what I can really do with it.

Thanks guys, I would probably rent a suit at first. Tires are brand new bt-014's, shouldn't be a problem with the bike prep. I'm finding my skills are vastly out stripping the road conditions and the law around here and I want to push my bike, see what I can really do with it.

well, depending on when you want to do it, get in touch with todd at motoseries or any other track day org and get signed up. we'll help you with the rest. the track is not a scary mysterious place when you have so many people willing to flog the newbie into shape (haha)

the last weekend of april is the first weekend for motoseries at nelson ledges and a crap ton of us will be there. if you decide you want to do that, definitely get a hold of todd to arrange the suit rental and if you need any other gear, i'm sure he can help you with that. he's rented/loaned out boots and gloves as well in the past.

as for getting to the track, i'm sure we can find someone you can hook up with to get there. you'll be tired at the end of the day, so i recommend you not ride to the track, but it's definitely doable if necessary. there are other reasons too, like god forbid, you crash and it is unrideable or you are too sore, etc. the latter is unlikely, but you never know.

keep posting questions.

Everyone has good info listed. Exception is nobody listed wheel weights. TAPE YOUR WHEEL WEIGHTS with duct tape - NOT PAINTER'S TAPE! Clip on or stick on both need to be taped.

Safety wire is obviously a great idea, but novice group anywhere I know doesn't require it. The idea for novice is to make it as easy as possible to dip the toes into the water. Once you like it and it feels good, you will advance in ability and level and have more things to concern yourself over.

Taping speedo is not needed and never required. You shouldn't be looking down anyways. ;)

Make sure the basics are tight:

-exhaust

-rearsets

-calipers

-frame sliders

-clutch and brake levers

-throttle blips w/o sticking at all

Unplug your head and tail lights. Easier to handle and needed for the brake anyways. If you can see the brake light through blue tape, you need to unplug...

Basically, everyone listed the main things. Enjoy!

and speaking of handy info from ktm-brian (formerly, lizard1):

useful track day info

and also this, which OP needn't worry about for the most part, but some handy dandy info:

things that are handy at track days/weekends

both are stickies at the top of the track day section.

not that it matters for me right now lol, but im curious

is a dot/ece helmet allowed at track days instead of a dot/snell ? isnt ece more strict than snell?

what about for drag racing, can you use ece instead of snell? i know some helmets are both, but i like the schuberth s2 and might get one once i pick up a new bike, but $500-600 is a lot for a helmet i cant use at the track lol

is a dot/ece helmet allowed at track days instead of a dot/snell ? isnt ece more strict than snell?

what about for drag racing, can you use ece instead of snell? i know some helmets are both, but i like the schuberth s2 and might get one once i pick up a new bike, but $500-600 is a lot for a helmet i cant use at the track lol

The ece is allowed, Jinu runs a shark that has a ece on it rather than snell.

i've seen some track day orgs allow the european specs over Snell. I think ECE and BSI are both well regarded helmet specs, but some track day orgs require snell to be safe.

there are plenty of helmets on sale/clearance that will easily meet track requirements.

also important, the helmet shouldnt be too old (should be more than 4-5 years old i believe) and definitely not damaged.