32" TV>$300 - which one?

max power

I'm in the market for a bedroom TV.

My requirements are as follows:

- $300 or less

- 32" LCD or LED (prefer LED)

- must have good picture (cant stand a bunch of motion distortion)

- must have decent speakers as it will not have surround sound or sound bar added

- easy to use remote and menus

Not sure what else I require since I dont really know much about TV specs.

I guess I just want the best bang for my buck.

What do you guys prefer?

to some extent you get what you pay for. You're going to have a little picture distortion at the $300 price point.

But basically there are only 4 major manufacturers of the actual SCREENS for modern LCD TV's. LED's might be different, but for LCD's:

- LG (like the cell phone company. I believe the largest manufacturer as far as volume)

- Visio (sells the most actual TV's, even though LG sells more screens. Bigger in Plasma than LCD or LED)

- Sony (makes their own shit)

- Samsung (makes their own shit, then sells the technology to the other companies after it's no longer new. IMHO, some of the best TV's if you can afford them)

For a bedroom TV, I'd honestly just find the cheapest one that has a screen made by LG and call it a day... I bought mine years ago, and I literally looked at a Magnavox and a Polaroid that were both 32" LCD, and after a little research, I found that the screens were exactly the same. Literally from the same factory.

Other stuff to consider with budget in mind:

- how good of a signal are y ou going to be putting into it? Most HD satellite and cable channels are only broadcasting in 720. DVD's are also 720 (i've been told).

So buying a 1080 (or whatever's better than that now) is only worth it if you watch a lot of BluRay discs.

- the "processor" speed and quality is what actually avoids the "ghosting" of images and stuff. Find a sporting event on TV at the store and just see which one looks best to you. I didn't see a compelling reason to spend the extra money on a samsung with the awesome electronics versus the polaroid that was the same size and several hundred dollars cheaper...

www.edealinfo.com has good prices on stuff if you're really trying to stay under $300

Spend $400 and get a nicer 42" with better resolution, sound, quality in general.

We spent a little over $400 for our 42" Panasonic plasma, love it - HD looks great and the sound is good too. We bought my daughter a small 24" LED at $250 and although picture quality is good, the sound sucks.....thin and shallow, no bass response at all.

It cant be over 32". Wont fit.

See above requirements.

For a bedroom tv, I'd mount it to the ceiling so you can simply lay back and enjoy - that way there's no picture limitations trying to get it in a cabinet......just a thought - goodluck

to some extent you get what you pay for. You're going to have a little picture distortion at the $300 price point.

But basically there are only 4 major manufacturers of the actual SCREENS for modern LCD TV's. LED's might be different, but for LCD's:

- LG (like the cell phone company. I believe the largest manufacturer as far as volume)

- Visio (sells the most actual TV's, even though LG sells more screens. Bigger in Plasma than LCD or LED)

- Sony (makes their own shit)

- Samsung (makes their own shit, then sells the technology to the other companies after it's no longer new. IMHO, some of the best TV's if you can afford them)

For a bedroom TV, I'd honestly just find the cheapest one that has a screen made by LG and call it a day... I bought mine years ago, and I literally looked at a Magnavox and a Polaroid that were both 32" LCD, and after a little research, I found that the screens were exactly the same. Literally from the same factory.

Other stuff to consider with budget in mind:

- how good of a signal are y ou going to be putting into it? Most HD satellite and cable channels are only broadcasting in 720. DVD's are also 720 (i've been told).

So buying a 1080 (or whatever's better than that now) is only worth it if you watch a lot of BluRay discs.

- the "processor" speed and quality is what actually avoids the "ghosting" of images and stuff. Find a sporting event on TV at the store and just see which one looks best to you. I didn't see a compelling reason to spend the extra money on a samsung with the awesome electronics versus the polaroid that was the same size and several hundred dollars cheaper...

www.edealinfo.com has good prices on stuff if you're really trying to stay under $300

There are only 3 companies that make their own components from start to finish...and Vizio is not one of them. The three companies are Samsung, Sharp, and LG.

Sony is contracted with sharp for their screens as well as has some of them from Samsung for certain sets. The factories (sony and Sharp) are literally right next door to each other. Vizio, is a mixture of parts from many manufacturers, plain and simple. Not to mention the parts produced for off brand TV's are either lacking on the technology or the are from previous production runs.

LEDs have LCD screens, the only thing that changes is the way the screen is backlit. LCDs have CCFL bulbs, whereas LEDs have....LEDs.

DVD's are not HD at all.

Max, as for your request, you should try and find a TV with front facing speakers as this will be the only thing that will produce the sounds you are looking for. If that is not possible, LG is considered the best when it comes to sound on the smaller sets.

Ideally you would be looking for a 120hz, 720p TV...which I do not believe is carried/produced anymore. My recommendation would be a 32" LG 720p model number 32LK330. On sale at HHG (or wherever with price match) for 319.99.

I have a Sony 1080p with front speakers in my bedroom that I love, it is three years old but if you can find one the model number is KDL32S5100 (I think).

• Upvote 1

For a bedroom tv, I'd mount it to the ceiling so you can simply lay back and enjoy - that way there's no picture limitations trying to get it in a cabinet......just a thought - goodluck

:lol: I actually mentioned this to the wife yesterday. She shot it straight down.

There are only 3 companies that make their own components from start to finish...and Vizio is not one of them. The three companies are Samsung, Sharp, and LG.

Sony is contracted with sharp for their screens as well as has some of them from Samsung for certain sets. The factories (sony and Sharp) are literally right next door to each other. Vizio, is a mixture of parts from many manufacturers, plain and simple. Not to mention the parts produced for off brand TV's are either lacking on the technology or the are from previous production runs.

LEDs have LCD screens, the only thing that changes is the way the screen is backlit. LCDs have CCFL bulbs, whereas LEDs have....LEDs.

DVD's are not HD at all.

Max, as for your request, you should try and find a TV with front facing speakers as this will be the only thing that will produce the sounds you are looking for. If that is not possible, LG is considered the best when it comes to sound on the smaller sets.

Ideally you would be looking for a 120hz, 720p TV...which I do not believe is carried/produced anymore. My recommendation would be a 32" LG 720p model number 32LK330. On sale at HHG (or wherever with price match) for 319.99.

I have a Sony 1080p with front speakers in my bedroom that I love, it is three years old but if you can find one the model number is KDL32S5100 (I think).

Thanks man. You still workin @ HHGreg? If so, which one?

i love my insignia...51" plasma on sale for $650...the picture quality blows away that of my moms 55" LCD that she paid over 1200 for...i love the picture quality of plasma

the speakers on it are decent...but i dont use them (i only used them briefly)

but for the price, i dont think you can beat insignia....especially for a cheap bedroom tv

if i had as much to spend as i wanted on a tv, i would look at samsung....their picture always seems to outclass every other tv

Anyone know anything about the Toshiba 32LK330? Office Max has it on sale for $240

What about referbs? TigerDirect is selling the LG that Tomcat mentioned for $254, but its a factory referbished unit.

Edited by max power

I have a 40" Samsung in the bedroom on a wall swivel mount. The picture is excellent. None of the flat screens have particularly amazing sound, but it's not bad.

The Samsung has a motion blur correction software in it that does amazing things for clarity. It was so different than our older projection that it took a while to adjust. Now I don't know if I'd want to live without the motion enhancement.

DVD's are not HD at all.

Ended up buying the LG. They knocked $10 off. Seems like a good unit and the sound is good, but any non-HD programming looks like shit.