Best Mods For A Race Bike

tyler524

Of course, seat time is always going to be #1. It's like basketball. Unless you practice, you will never get better. Practice a lot and you will gain ability and skill to advance you.

So, take seat time away as it is obvious and makes the most sense, but isn't really a "mod" per say. I will say spend more on track time before you go dumping cash into the bike. Personally, I think taking a legit school like DiSalvo, Swantz, Yamaha Champion, etc are great ideas. Those three are really the best and the others are general and lesser. I think the three listed are worth more than anything as you will LEARN what to do and what to expect... Go from there.

But, as far as mods go, think safety first. Brake lines are essential. Ergonomics will make you more relaxed and less likely to struggle with dumb stuff like dragging pegs and having to work around gearing that is stock at tracks where stock gearing is terrible and hinders the learning experience.

Next, think what really holds you back as you progress. You will get better and things will hinder progress and CAN possibly cause more issue rather than allowing you to advance and learn. Things like tires and suspension.

I personally think that too often, riders think they don't need race compound tires. BUT, understand that race tires allow for you to have consistency. OEM or even good tires like Q2s and Pures will run too hot towards the end of the day and get greasy and really, will wear faster. Think about this. They will work to a degree and up to a point before you are just riding around them or nursing yourself and the bike towards the ends of sessions or the days. Race tires IF maintained and finding a proper setup (Leads to suggestion #2 shortly) will provide you with consistent results and allow you to progress.

That leads to the second idea. Really, should come before race tires, but suspension. You never know what good suspension can do for you until you try it. You can patch stock stuff, swap for a different shock, add oil, change springs, etc. But, good suspension components are better than anything and will net two things. Better results, but also feel. You will learn what the bike is doing when you are getting proper feedback.

Also, DO NOT just get a rear shock and stock or patched front. DO NOT just do a front fork upgrade and stick with an OEM rear. All you are doing is causing an unbalance result. You have a great rear shock, but the fronts cannot keep up and will destroy tires and ultimately cause your setup to be tough to dial in which will then destroy the rear. Stock stuff is really good. There is no doubt and to most that say they are fine are those that have not used cartridges and aftermarket rear shocks... They have learned to adapt and ride around stock stuff...

Anyways, stuff like exhausts and ECU upgrades like a dyno jet or bazzaz system are awesome. They help with the bike's overall ease of running at a high performance level and allow you to use better throttle application and smoother riding at that high performance level. BUT, stock can be damn good and not really something needed. But, it is nice to have a better mid range due to proper tuning vs stock where there can be a dip or dead spot, etc.

All in all, one example is when we were doing the KTM Race Orange events. You can take a bone stock RC8R with Q2s and turn faster than average Advanced, Intermediate and Novice pace around the track. The bike is that good. But, take an R6 and you will see the same thing. Possible. But here is the rub. For me to ride at 1:35 on a stock RC8R with Q2s, I am riding harder than I would ride the same pace on my racebike. That extra effort to run the same pace wears you out, causes you to tire sooner and likely to open the door on mistakes. You go and add race tires, you can still run that pace and be comfortable, but wear less and have more energy and more focus. Add suspension and you gain more again. Add ergo stuff and you will be able to work the bike with less effort, etc. In the end, that 1:35 is easier as you add things and understand things.

What all did you have to replace? I have never thought that Honda's were any more expensive than any other bike, it just depends on if you are really searching for parts. For example, most people were trying to ask $300 for a front wheel (which is admittedly far too high) but I was able to find one close enough for $75 and with a little machining time had a matching front.

It's just like anything out there. The more people that own a set bike, the more parts. The more parts, the cheaper they can be found for as to sell, you need to be competitively priced. R6s and GSXRs are the most common bikes and they are the cheapest to get parts for and at the track, more exist so, replacement parts that can leave you stranded after a light crash are easier to find.

Hondas are cool, can be made to go almost as well as the others, but the honda is probably ranked 4th amongst the Big 4 in terms of what is regarded as the best track weapons...

Not to be the special needs rider here, but aren't the SV650's discontinued? What are guys buying to ride in the same class? I'm having a hard time finding one anywhere on the used market that isn't trashed.

Not to be the special needs rider here, but aren't the SV650's discontinued? What are guys buying to ride in the same class? I'm having a hard time finding one anywhere on the used market that isn't trashed.

One of the most popular lightweight bikes being raced period. There are enough parts and knowledge for these bikes to lasts for years. TONS out there in great shape for racing. For street use? No idea...