1st BAD Open Carry experience

crb

I posted this on another forum, but figured I would share here also.

I went to my local Walmart that I shop at all the time. I also open carry there regularly probably hundreds of times at that particular store. We had our nephew with us so we went down the toy isle and he pickup out some legos. My grandmother in-law wants to shoot my rossi ranch hand so I thought while we were there I would pick up another box of 38 spl. Nobody was at the hunting/firearm counter so my wife went to have someone paged via the automotive counter. The automotive associate had the keys so she opened the case and got the 38 ammo, i noticed an ammo can of 556 and asked to see it. While she was checking me out she asked me if I had a permit for the firearm on my side. I politely told her yes, but I don't need a permit because I was open carrying and that was my constitutional right with no permit necessary.

I thought that was the end of it.

Approx 5 minutes later a female assistant manager and another male associate approached me. They asked to have a word with me so I walked over to them. The female assistant manager whose name I did get asked me if I had a permit for my firearm. I once again politely explained that I do have a permit, but I was open carrying per my constitutional right and no permit was necessary. I explained that if there was a problem I would leave my cart except for the ammo I paid for and leave. She told me that would be best. As I was walking down the main isle towards the door she apologized if she appeared aggressive while talking to me. She told me it was Walmart's policy during the 1st conversation. I told her I would contact corporate and discuss the matter with them.

Unfortunetly I had already paid for the ammunition. $200 worth. I usually do not buy ammo at Walmart but didn't want to make a separate trip 15 miles one way to hit the gun shop.

My nephew was screaming and very upset while we left because he is 4 1/2 years old and didn't understand why we had to leave his legos behind.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life!

She treated me like I was a criminal and my poor nephew was so upset. My wife is very upset at Walmart also. She could not believe they treated us like that.

I contacted the corporate office just after leaving the store. The person who answered the phone at the corporate complaint line explained that it sounds like the assistant manager over stepped her authority. A ticket (email?) has been sent to the district manager to contact me. They said it could be 3-5 days to be contacted. I asked if there was anyway I could return the ammo, but he said no. I knew that would be the answer since most anywhere ammo is not returnable.

I will update when I hear from the district manager.

Wife is also upset because she can't shop at Walmart for now at least, and we live in small town. She may have to travel further to shop and be able to get everything on her list.

Update:

Received the phone call from the district manager. She informed me that the manager didn't have the authority to ask me if I had a permit. The manager was trying to calm the nerves of the automotive associate that sold me the ammo. Apparently me carrying and buying ammo made her nervous although I didn't buy the caliber I was carrying. Personally I think my 3 stooges shirt with Obama, Pelosi, and Reed didn't help. My guess is I hurt her(automotive associate) liberal feelings.I had 37 rounds for my carry gun, I think I was prepared enough. The district manager was very very apologetic and explained that she has a CHL. The district manager assured that they will be retrained, and I will not have this issue again.

They obviously can't tell me what if any punishment will come of this.

• Upvote 1

Wow, you know, I wish I had the balls to open carry.. I feel like with the way I look I'll be bum rushed from behind and beaten by the cops..

Cool story though, sorry that happened to you but at least you followed up on it.

Wow, you know, I wish I had the balls to open carry.. I feel like with the way I look I'll be bum rushed from behind and beaten by the cops..

Cool story though, sorry that happened to you but at least you followed up on it.

You shouldn't be scared to exercise your constitutional right no matter what you think you look like.

I carry, I don't open carry. No reason for it unless you are an attention whore.... IMHO

This thread furthers my view. Yes it's your right. But it does cause problems and makes gun owners look bad, period.

Your opinion. I don't care for attention I pretend it's not there just like everyone else should in my opinion as long as it legal.

I forgot to mention the district manager was impressed that I knew the law, regarding open carry and CHL's.

I also do agree that they could have bought me some legos, but they didn't

We won't be doing our grocery shopping at Walmart for a while yet even with the apology.

My wife talked with a smaller grocery store's manager while shopping elsewhere after that incident and he has to look to see if they have a policy. He is interested in our business, that is for sure. The smaller store is a little more expensive, but they actually cart your groceries to the car and load them for you. We spend quite a bit on groceries on a weekly basis, and deserve to be treated better than that.

I wouldn't have had near the issue with the assistant manager at Walmart, but she was rude, and addressed me in an aggressive tone and manner.

I enjoy the show of people in Walmart :lol:

I can and have just walked around looking at stuff I plan on buying from local retail stores or online and people watching :D

not to say I haven't shopped there though.

I wouldn't have had near the issue with the assistant manager at Walmart, but she was rude, and addressed me in an aggressive tone and manner.

All their assistants are little Nazis. Must be all the company mandated chanting and other cult-like shit.

Or maybe they just feel important because they are knocking down 40k/year and get to boss a bunch of brain dead tattoo necks around. :lol:

I carry, I don't open carry. No reason for it unless you are an attention whore.... IMHO

This thread furthers my view. Yes it's your right. But it does cause problems and makes gun owners look bad, period.

I agree with your choice to not open carry, and no real reason for it, unless you're trying to make a statement, or something. I will disagree with your comment about it making gun owners look bad.

Your opinion. I don't care for attention I pretend it's not there just like everyone else should in my opinion as long as it legal.

I forgot to mention the district manager was impressed that I knew the law, regarding open carry and CHL's.

I also do agree that they could have bought me some legos, but they didn't

We won't be doing our grocery shopping at Walmart for a while yet even with the apology.

My wife talked with a smaller grocery store's manager while shopping elsewhere after that incident and he has to look to see if they have a policy. He is interested in our business, that is for sure. The smaller store is a little more expensive, but they actually cart your groceries to the car and load them for you. We spend quite a bit on groceries on a weekly basis, and deserve to be treated better than that.

Everyone SHOULD have no problem with it (unless they're planning on doing something they shouldn't be to you) but the fact is that there are WAY too many out there that don't know the law.

I'm not a big fan of walmart, we don't go there often, but even if this happened to me, I don't think I would be boycotting a place based on what happened. As a gun owner, you KNOW that some people are paranoid, and the majority of the general public does not know the law when it comes to carrying a firearm, and may run into such situations.

I think a good idea would have been to get the district manager to setup an informal meeting with you, the store manager, and the manager that asked you to leave, and make sure that all of you are on the same page regarding the laws, maybe even bring in a LEO... Then, I think walmart should have management training for this type of situation.

Like I needed another reason to steer clear of Walmart. Yahoos with guns on their hips and crying 4 1/2 year olds... Awesome. Pass on that one again, thank you very much.

• Upvote 2

All their assistants are little Nazis. Must be all the company mandated chanting and other cult-like shit.

You have that part right! I used to work at Lowe's we had a Lowe's chant. LOL :lol: I never participated, I would just stand there and laugh on the inside.

Their new chant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2q2DLWNXsE

Their old chant was something like:

Give me a "L" Give me a "O" Give me a "W" Give me an "E" Give me an "apostrophe" Give me an "S" What's that spell Lowe's..... Blah blah blah

:lol:

The good old days lol!

Like I needed another reason to steer clear of Walmart. Yahoos with guns on their hips and crying 4 1/2 year olds... Awesome. Pass on that one again, thank you very much.

4.5 year old wasn't crying until we had to leave his legos behind.

I think a good idea would have been to get the district manager to setup an informal meeting with you, the store manager, and the manager that asked you to leave, and make sure that all of you are on the same page regarding the laws, maybe even bring in a LEO... Then, I think walmart should have management training for this type of situation.

I let her roll with it the way she wanted, I am not boycotting walmart by any means. We are simply going to do the bulk of our shopping elsewhere for now. My wife actually liked the other store way better, less people there, better produce, deli associate not B'ing about their job because they were the only one in the deli, cashier smiling and friendly, and the manager actually bagged her groceries and loaded them in the pickup! Wife also spent less in the long run because she didn't buy junk that always finds it's way into the cart.

You should have drawn down on him to shut him up. :lol:

Yea Right!

We took him a couple days later to tractor supply and the dollar store and he asked me if I had my gun on me, because he didn't want to be asked to leave again. I was concealed this time. :lol:

I let her roll with it the way she wanted, I am not boycotting walmart by any means. We are simply going to do the bulk of our shopping elsewhere for now. My wife actually liked the other store way better, less people there, better produce, deli associate not B'ing about their job because they were the only one in the deli, cashier smiling and friendly, and the manager actually bagged her groceries and loaded them in the pickup! Wife also spent less in the long run because she didn't buy junk that always finds it's way into the cart.

Oh how I miss the good ole grocery stores! My first 2 jobs in high school were at grocery stores, bagging and loading groceries for customers. It hasn't been that long ago that most of the major chains still did that, and they called it customer service.

Seriously, who's more ignorant - you or the Walmart employees asking for a permit to open carry?

Don't try to buy more than 2 prepaid cell phones from walmart at one time. They will assume you are going to use those phones for terrorist purposes.

For cereal? I say a few of us go there and try to buy 10 of them at one time, along with a bunch of ammo! :D

Edited - Not worth commenting on other than I think it was a very stand up act for Walmart to call you so soon and apologize. That shows very good customer service and follow-through.

Edited by flounder

Don't try to buy more than 2 prepaid cell phones from walmart at one time. They will assume you are going to use those phones for terrorist purposes.

Yea, the terrorist plot is to troll OR on cellphones :D