Time to change Bikes?

accel_is_my_drug

I have been commuting on my 06 FZ-1 for 2 years now, and it is the most practical bike I have ever owned. After some small mods It has decent fuel economy, rather comfortable, Liter bike power and acceleration, but it has never dived into the corners the way a proper sport bike would, and no amount of fiddling with shocks, fork settings or anything has really made it feel the way I would like it to.

Anyways, I have noticed I have been commuting less, and doing more weekend romps through what ever twisties I can find. I am looking over trackdays trying to find ones that fit into my schedule as well. I am thinking about going back to a proper sportbike. And if I do, I have lusted over a SP-2 RC-51 in ways that would make this thread NSFW.

The thing is, I would still occasionally commute on the bike, and my commute is 45 miles. Which happens to be a lot of time when folded into the uncomfortable crouch of a supersport.

Is ditching the FZ1 and trying to find a V-twin dumb?????

Have you done a track day on the FZ1?

If not, it's probably a lot more capable than you think.

And there are definitely modifications that could be made to the FZ1 that would make it sportier without sacrificing too much commute-ability.

I'm thinking clip-ons would be a big change right away, and it can't be that hard to find adjustable rearsets for an FZ1.

Those minor mods would be a lot less expensive than an additional bike too...

the FZ1 is on the extremely short list of bikes I'd replace for the VFR. If it handles anything like a similar year FZ6 with a shit load of miles and if I recall correctly a shock that needed replaced then its way more than capable for twisty back road goodness. As far as the track I don't know as I don't have any experience with that

Interested in a low mile (under 2k, at work and need to verify) '10 KTM SMT (non-abs)? Ridden lightly, lightly ridden!!!

Orange and Black, see links below for description and pics of what the bike looks like. 990cc, V-Twin power, upright riding position, fully adjustable suspension. Very good commuter rig and plenty agile for spirited rides.

SAS emissions disabled and Akro pipes added at break-in service to remove all the stock fueling issues. Throttle response is still quite snappy

:)

I comes with the little side bags and tail rack. Bigger cases available from KTM. I just don't ride it that much and I have my eye on the new Norton or possibly a Ducati 799 if it ever materializes.

http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-reviews/article,2010-ktm-990-smt-review.spy?artid=120120

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/manufacturerlineups/ig/2010-KTM-Buyer-s-Guide/990-SM-T.htm

Downside, $14k new + $3k for Akro means I would be looking for something above $13k to let it go.

i would prop keep the fz1...i had a 08zx6r and after 1.5 hours i was numb. i also beleive that fz is a more than capable twisty and track weapon if set up the right way.

I have a beater 01 rc51 and every review I've read says they are not good for commuting because the rc's have such a race oriented design. I don't notice much other than the seat lacks a little and it kicks off a bit of heat. Other than that its all good.

I have a beater 01 rc51 and every review I've read says they are not good for commuting because the rc's have such a race oriented design. I don't notice much other than the seat lacks a little and it kicks off a bit of heat. Other than that its all good.

SHOW ME PICTURES!!! Is your avatar your RC51??

the FZ1 is on the extremely short list of bikes I'd replace for the VFR. If it handles anything like a similar year FZ6 with a shit load of miles and if I recall correctly a shock that needed replaced then its way more than capable for twisty back road goodness. As far as the track I don't know as I don't have any experience with that

I think the FZ6 is quite a bit smaller. My FZ1 feels like a truck at times, I miss my old VFR (97, last year for 750 with carbs and gear driven cams...) and wish I never sold it.

At times I really miss the side to side instantaneous transition and feather weight feeling of a full on sport bike. My back and wrists certainly appreciate the upright FZ1. I'm torn....

There was an article in Motorcyclist not that long ago about the current version of the FZ1 not handing the best. Then they went on to talk about someone who upgraded the suspension and a ton of other shit and was tracking the shit out of it. A nice ohlins suspension would probably go a long way.

SHOW ME PICTURES!!! Is your avatar your RC51??

Yeah its that one. I'll try to upload some more recent pics but for some reason they always end up really tiny.

Don't do it! Ok, now that's out of the way...

I've always felt like the suspension on my Fizzer was ok for even spirited riding, but I've heard that the Gen2's were a little funky in the handling department.

From a suspension standpoint, Racetech has all the answers to your handling concerns. A fork/shock re-spring and a gold valve kit go a long way towards improving the handling. I had one in my old 900SS and the way it turned could only be described as 'magical'. I've heard similar things about the kits for the FZ1's.

If you really wanted to liven things up you could look at some lighter wheels (Marchesini/Carrozerria) to replace to heavier stockers. More $$$, but it would definitely help that heavier feeling, especially in transistions.

Edited by Hailwood

I never drove the FZ1, but I did do a two up on it with Nick Inatch at Yamaha Champions last year. At the time, he was shooting video of one of the other students at the school who was on an R6. All of us were on R6's and all the instructors were on the FZ1's. Even with my extra 210 pound ass on the back, that FZ1 was right up on that R6 the whole time. I even thought about buying one but the wife has imposed a strict 2 bike limitation on me. :mad:

My impression of that bike is that is plenty capable on the track if you want it to be.

Umm, yeah, but i thought that was obvious!!

I looked for quite some time for a '98,

The FZ1 ended up being a smoking deal...too good too pass up.

Mine is in the never sell column. Attacking twists, SPORTtouring in the mountains 3 states over, some commuting, some just cruising is why I have had a VFR of some form for the last ten years.

-You could put clip ons on the FZ1, tweak the forks and stick a Penscke in the rear.... that might make it more sporty for you.