Two more riders down

Photos by Marty

from the following link http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/05/2_motorcyclists_killed_sunday.html

"The State Highway Patrol is investigating two crashes that killed two motorcyclists in Stark and Wayne counties.

Windfield Stevens, 51, of Canal Fulton, was killed about 2:05 p.m. Sunday, when he was driving a 1986 Kawasaki north on Kurg Road in Sugar Creek Township. He had a 10-year-old boy on the bike.

Stevens lost control of the motorcycle at West Lebanon Road and struck the left side of an oncoming 1989 Chevrolet Camaro, Lt. Chad Enderby said.

Stevens, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at Aultman Hospital. The boy was wearing a helmet and sustained minor injuries. The two people in the Camaro were not injured."

"The second crash occurred at 6:42 p.m. on Ohio 241 at Erie Street in Massillon.

A 2005 Harley-Davidson driven by 70-year-old Michael Braatz, of Wooster, was going east on Ohio 241 and approaching the green light at Erie.

Someone driving a late '80s or early '90s model green and tan Chevrolet or Plymouth minivan south on Erie made an erratic right turn onto 241 and struck the motorcycle. The minivan kept going, Lt. William Weirtz.

Braatz, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at 7:49 p.m. at Affinity Hospital.

Anyone with information on the hit-skip driver or minivan is asked to call the Canton Post at 330-433-6200."

:rip:

Damn, the seconds guy was like a mile from my house. That was right in downtown massillon, had to be at least twenty witnesses.

My wife and I rode by on the FZ1 literally minutes after this happened, right as the first responders were arriving. From the way it looked, I had a feeling that it hadn't ended well. The scary thing is that we probably passed that van on 241 as we were headed North.

It was not a good way to end an otherwise nice weekend of riding.

:rip:

Nasty. It hasn't been a good week for riders. Two got killed last weekend, a friend of mine got rear ended (he's fine, thanks to his gear, his bike not so much), and now this.

We talk about rider education and the need for more of it, but I think we really need to start looking into better driver education. And the hit-and-run is the only good thing about intersection cameras. I hope the bust the driver.