anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

Jungle Jim's is just down the street from me. I'm pretty spoiled in that regard. Their selection of hot sauces is much better than their BBQ sauce selection though.

Shit your close to me, I'm maybe 10 mins from Jungle Jim's. That place is the shit! It was awesome working for Pepsi and having to go there to stock the shelves.

I have nothing to add to BBQ topic as I suck at it

I need to get me a smoker, this thread is confirming that!

Where is the best place (central Ohio) to buy a brisket? How about the hickory to smoke it with? Any tips on specifics to look for when I do get the opportunity to buy a smoker?

I very much dislike mesquite for anything.....nothing but apple, cherry, maple, hickory or white oak for my smoking. Sweet Baby Rays is fake sauce, go for Stubbs if you want authentic store bought sauce or Buckeye BBQ sauce. Brisket is very temperamental to smoke, and it is best if eaten in the same day. Injecting brisket with peach juice is most excellent, and keep the dry rub simple. If you want the best beef that can be smoked, look no further than Tri-tip "trust me".:bow: No need for a smoker unless you want to spend money, I mostly use my Webber charcoal grill with corner charcoal/wood box. The air and heat control is fantastic, and I am also not a fan of thermometers. Practice....practice...practice and experiment. Smoking whole chickens is some of the best advice I can give noobs to smoking, hard to fuck them up too. I am not talking out my ass, I have been smoking for years. Drinking cold adult beverages are always best when waiting for the meat, and try pure maple syrup for basting ribs.........oh yeah.

Get my brisket at Zinks in Franklin, no brine. Rub with brown sugar, crushed red pepper, chili powder,salt&pepper and garlic powder. After apple cider soak for 4 or 5 hours. Use hickory chunks, after charcoal pan burns out wrap in foil & finish in oven 4 hours at 225. No sause.

Good brisket doesn't require sauce, the smoke is enough for me usually. My wifes grand parents have cows, so if I want a particular cut I just have to request it. Store bought meat sucks ass. Wife and I are think about having a couple pigs and chickens next year or so.

Edited by crb

GFS has the best BBQ sauce I've ever tried from a store. I used to like sweet baby rays but it still isn't as good as their stuff.

I like their sweet BBQ sauce on ribs.

if you have a store near you I recommend them over anything you'll find at kroger etc. it's restaurant grade quality.

actually gfs is a great place to get restaurant grade food from at way better prices than you can get at a kroger etc. the only problem is you have to buy it on giant quantities. you can buy the big blocks of cheese and lunch meat that the deli uses to slice off of. lol I buy a 10lb box of ribs for $29. if you think about it, kroger sells those ribs from corkey's for $18 and it's only 2lbs or so. for 10lbs of ribs for $29 is a great deal. they also have a bucket of pre made mashed potatoes that are actually real mashed potatoes. for just slightly more than what a box of fake flake pototoes goes for. it's a great place to shop.

http://www.gfs.com/en/home.page?

Edited by serpentracer

GFS has the best BBQ sauce I've ever tried from a store. I used to like sweet baby rays but it still isn't as good as their stuff.

I like their sweet BBQ sauce on ribs.

if you have a store near you I recommend them over anything you'll find at kroger etc. it's restaurant grade quality.

http://www.gfs.com/en/home.page?

Because it is most restaurants bbq sauce, although I think any reputable bbq place would make their own.

Good brisket doesn't require sauce, the smoke is enough for me usually. My wifes grand parents have cows, so if I want a particular cut I just have to request it. Store bought meat sucks ass. Wife and I are think about having a couple pigs and chickens next year or so.

My mom purchases a cow , from a local farmer and has it butchered. I typically get my beef from mom.

I have an excellent preferred butcher but I really wish I knew someone that could get me fresh cuts off a farm. Speakin of which I need to remember to ask Pauly about the range chickens he does

Because it is most restaurants bbq sauce, although I think any reputable bbq place would make their own.

I think some places use the GFS, or other food service's sauce for a base for their sauce. If the GFS sauce is pretty plain, I can see this being a good plan.

I have an excellent preferred butcher but I really wish I knew someone that could get me fresh cuts off a farm. Speakin of which I need to remember to ask Pauly about the range chickens he does

Wifes grandparents sell it by the whole or half I believe. The cows aren't in a field, they are on a diet of tenderlein and corn I believe. All I know is its good beef. :)

^^for chuck roast I use a bottle of Lawry's Signature Steakhouse marinade. Let it sit for 24 hours then smoke it with the marinade inside a foil pan and it makes ridiculously awesome shredded beef!

thats one of my favorite marinades. My plan of attack with this one, is to smoke it with mesquite chips, and once it hits about 160, Im going to wrap it in foil and get it up about 200. I'm getting ready to go buy a thermometer and more charcoal, and its on! When you add charcoal, do you have it already ashed over and ready, or do you just add new briquettes to the already hot coals?

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisket. For me it depends on outside temp. Below 40 and I prestart using a charcoal chimney. You should have no trouble with that cut of meat that you have. It and brisket are very different in construction if you will. Brisket is thee toughest cut of beef. It needs to be cooked low and slow to break down the fibers. If not it will turn out like a Redwing Work shoe. Your cut would be on my plate in less than 3 hours. A brisket takes much much longer. Your cut will probably turn out very well because of the superb marbling. Two important things to remember. Start out with meat at room temp. And when you think it is done leave it wrapped and let it rest so all the juices redistribute. If you have any leftovers. Freeze them and and use them in your beans on your next go around. Good luck and enjoy.

You guys will shun me for this but, with the temps above the century mark this week, I broke out the electric smoker for our July 4th BBQ. I just didn't feel like babysitting with it being 103 outside.

If you have not tried one, electric smokers are pretty handy to have and cheap if you buy them in the winter. Keeps a constant temp without any babysitting and, if you add a piece or two of charcoal along with your wood chips, the flavor is still amazing. I chose to cook two pork butts for the cookout this year. No one left hungry :)

f6506d52.jpg

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4917/Whats_the_point_of_bringing_meat_to_room_temperature_before_cooking. Search the net and you will find both pros and cons. I usually let it sit out while I am prepping grill or smoker. Usually less than an hour. You should not need a chimney now. Just toss some new on the lit and you should be fine. I use a Weber Kettle and add once an hour. Another thing don't keep peaking at the goods. Once you learn your cooker things will get easier and end result will turn out better. Most important thing is controlling cook chamber temp. Do not use chimney to control temp. It will soot up the meat. May as well eat the ashes from a day old camp fire. See if there is a forum for your brand of cooker. If there is you will save a lot of grief by learning from others. May be tips and mods for better results. I never let poultry sit out though. If you cook to at least the min temps. You should be okay. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-Wireless-Thermometer/19525225. Also one of these is great for keeping tabs on how things at going.

I'm going to do it old school today with a regular meat thermometer. I Also was wondering something. Some things I have read say wrap in foil and let cook until 200. I prefer my steaks at 155-160. Would I be better off to let this cook until 160, and pull it, or to wrap it and go to 200?