anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

Sams club of all places, for 1.86 a lb! I'm going to go talk with your uncle this week. I want to try his pulled pork, and if its good, I'm going to get a bunch for our rehersal dinner cook out.

He has 2 huge smokers on trailers, and its definitely some yummy stuff......as it should be since it is his profession hahaha. I've had some turkey breast and venison last year that he smoked. Went in to help him out during deer season for an afternoon and ate some "samples" while I was working :lol: Not sure what his marinades/rubs consist of since its HIS recipe, so he may not tell me :D

1.86/lb is pretty good pricing. Wonder if the Sams Club quality of meat is as good in comparison?

Where did you put the smoker box? Gas grill?

Yeah, it's all I have. I don't know if I can control the temp well enough to cook something that takes that long, I'm going to have to experiment before I get a big ole piece of meat to throw on there. I might start with some chicken or turkey.

I have a small 2 burner gas and its hard to keep the temps below 300. A bigger 3 burner can work very well when set up for indirect heat. If you want to get into a very cheap smoker look up a brinkmann smoker, they had them at home depot for 34.99. I have a small square smoker box that i set directly on the gas burner and use soaked chips. It smokes very well. I just use it for burgers and such . As far as the amount of smoke, alittle smoke goes a long way. The ideal smoke is a light blue almost unoticable. I have found bbq-brethren.com to be a very helpful forum.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

I have a small 2 burner gas and its hard to keep the temps below 300. A bigger 3 burner can work very well when set up for indirect heat. If you want to get into a very cheap smoker look up a brinkmann smoker, they had them at home depot for 34.99. I have a small square smoker box that i set directly on the gas burner and use soaked chips. It smokes very well. I just use it for burgers and such . As far as the amount of smoke, alittle smoke goes a long way. The ideal smoke is a light blue almost unoticable. I have found bbq-brethren.com to be a very helpful forum.

I have a 3 burner grill, so maybe it will be a bit easier to keep the temps a bit lower with the heat being indirect.

The smoke was barely visible, if at all, but I sure could smell it when I opened the lid! I'll give it a try!

What kind of wood chips works best with chicken? I got some mesquite and some hickory. I was surprised at how inexpensive the chips were!

Trying out some chicken right now. I only have one burner of the 3 burner grill on pretty low to keep the temp down. I don't think we're going to be able to let it cook at a low temp all the way, since it's so late, we're cranking the heat to it now. Hopefully it smoked long enough to make a difference, if not we'll try again another time.

Chickens slightly different. I try to do chicken around 275-300. If you slow cook it too long i was told that it will begin to get bad bacteria which can lead to food poisoning.

You had posted that before. I had it around 300 for a while, and it's just getting too late to wait it out, so I cranked the grill up to finish it. We shall see soon!

Fruit woods work great with poultry.

I have found that using indirect grilling works the best with chicken vs slow smoking. I like to cut the chicken and lay it out flat, grill it and put a nice char on it and then put it to the side with no heat.

I put fruit wood, fruit and herbs on the grill over the fire or even on the charcoal. Let it smoke for an 1-2 hours and call it quits.

Turkey is another one that I have had best results with indirect. Only with Turkey, I will put the bird in the middle with coals on both sides. Drip pan in the middle with beer, fruit juice to baste. Wood, fruit and herbs right on the coals and add coals as needed. 1hr per pound works fine. Note, I don't stuff the bird to allow smoke inside. Tenting can help on the breasts towards the end.

The flavor was good, even the kids liked it! I think I left it on a little too long after cranking the heat, because it got kinda tough. Being my first attempt, I just left the chicken plain, and the only chips I have are mesquite and hickory (should have picked up some fruit wood chips at Home Depot when I was there yesterday) so I used the hickory.

I could definitely see a smoke ring in the meat, so I think what I'm doing will work, I just need to plan it out better, and allow more time! I just wasn't paying attention at all to the time that we started, and should have known it was too late to do it properly and still eat before 10:00! I was thinking that the smoking would help seal in some juices and keep it from getting tough, which it might have if I had pulled it off the grill earlier.

One thing that want to try is smoking some peppers.

first thing I did this weekend when I got home from vacation was pick up a propane smoker. Used it yesterday and I absolutely love how much easier it is to use over my Weber Smokey Mountain. Now I just need to pick up a better thermometer setup and look into the popular mods and fixes for it when I get some time

The flavor was good, even the kids liked it! I think I left it on a little too long after cranking the heat, because it got kinda tough. Being my first attempt, I just left the chicken plain, and the only chips I have are mesquite and hickory (should have picked up some fruit wood chips at Home Depot when I was there yesterday) so I used the hickory.

I could definitely see a smoke ring in the meat, so I think what I'm doing will work, I just need to plan it out better, and allow more time! I just wasn't paying attention at all to the time that we started, and should have known it was too late to do it properly and still eat before 10:00! I was thinking that the smoking would help seal in some juices and keep it from getting tough, which it might have if I had pulled it off the grill earlier.

One thing that want to try is smoking some peppers.

Did you set up a pan with juice or water under that chicken ? That helps keep it moist

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/craig-goldwyn/bbq-grilling-tip-two-zone_b_622211.html

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Hope it turns out better than the commercial meat you did last month. The cost differential was only a few cents per pound, so I hope you find out the quality of the meat makes a big difference to justify that. Lookin' good so far man!