anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

I double up on rub and sauce like a bauce :lol:

I'd venture a guess that there has to be at least 50 bottles of different condiments in our house. They don't call me the Condiment King for nothing!

How many enchilada and taco sauces? Oh wait, those are probably kept on the burrito cart. :lol:

Bbq sauce is kind of like motorcycles. There's tons of them, all of them have its purpose. Some work well for something's, where as others don't. For example, I wouldn't put sbr on brisket. Who wants sugary brisket?

Stubbs sweet heat might not be bad on brisket. When I get brisket at 62bbq, I use their "hidden stash" sauce, and a some of their regular stuff.

Sweet sauce on brisket? Oh yeah, but only if the brisket is done right, and falling apart!

How many enchilada and taco sauces? Oh wait, those are probably kept on the burrito cart. :lol:

1 can of enchilada sauce, 2 kinds if Taco sauce and 3-4 different Mexican style hot sauces are in the stash from the Mexican side of things

Im the same way, I put 0 saucese on while cooking, and only when eating do I add anything besides the rub.

I am going to do a turkey breast for Thanksgiving, pretty stoked for that. I was watching DDD Monday night and saw a smoked turkey and wanted to try it so I volunteered to cook for the parents and wife. She doesn't eat meat so just the 3 of us and we only use a Turkey Breast, but I think it will be about the same as a turkey, just going to reduce the rub.

Do you guys think I should bring AND rub? I normally only us a dry rub on my pork and beef, and have never done fish or turkey for a meat that may dry out. Also using fruit wood instead of my usual stock, thinking Apple.

Thoughts? Recommended rubs for Turkey? Brine AND rub or just Rub?

I used creole butter last time. I'm not a huge fan. The last two years I have used this...

3/4 cup vinaigrette dressing

1/3 cup dry sherry

2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne

I inject it, and then with the left over, i just pour into a baggy big enough to hold the turkey and let it rest over night. I guess in a sense its a "brine" but its not using a 5 gallon bucket and all this crazy shit I see guys doing.

cook it to 165 degrees, and check in multiple places. Also let you guests know, that due to the smoking process, the meat may have a pink tint to it, BUT it is cooked through. let it rest 15-20 minutes and enjoy. I made the mistake awhile back of wrapping in foil and resting for a few hours, and my skin was no longer crispy. The meat was still good, but I like crisp skin.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Felt alittle adventurous a few days ago. After hearing all the raves about brine I had to try for myself.

Orange juice, Apple juice, brown sugar,salt,cinnamon,cloves. Left in brine for 36 hours.

IMAG2145.jpg

Turkey cannon. Works the same as the beer can, with beer can chicken. I filled the cannon with left over brine.

IMAG2148.jpg

IMAG2150.jpg

IMAG2153.jpg

IMAG2154.jpg

Will be monitoring this thread I want to get a smoker next year. We did pulled pork in the slow cooker and it was good, but I like the smoke.

Dry rub? Store bought or homemade?

Store bought sauce or homemade?

There is a store bought sauce I really like, I think its sweet baby rays.

I've had one of those R2D2 type Char Broil H2O water smokers for about 20 years and it's still going strong. I've made a lot of brisket in it, a few turkeys, ribs, chicken, salmon, and I don't know what else.

I use a home made rub on my brisket then wrap it in Saran Wrap overnight in the fridge. I also make my sauce. I use a recipe from a book and it always comes out right. The sauce goes over the meat after it's shredded and placed in a roasting pan, just before it goes into the oven for 45 minutes.

Try any of the recipes you find and give them a go. You'll find something that works for you.

Turns out I still have a beer can chicken holder and am only doing a breast so I will be using that instead of the B.A. Cannon, but will pick one up after the holidays if this fails me.

All my rub and injection stuff is on the counter and ready to go. Our stuff is Saturday so I think I'll wait to rub it until tomorrow evening after injecting first. Can't wait to give this a try, got apple juice and apple chunks both, and plan to soak the chunks twice prior to smoking them.

I'm actually stoked to get up for the OSU vs MI game, start a turkey at about 9am, and eat 2ish, or right after the game really.