anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

Just put the turkey breast on the smoker, all geared up in my U of M jersey, and now time to drink some beer while letting her rip at 220-230. Apple wood has been soaked for 2 days on and off, rub was on for 36 hrs, injection for 48. The turkey smelled good enough to eat raw.

Ham's in the oven as well, but next year thinking I want to smoke a ham too. Anyone with a pork hookup?

I dont know how to post pics but I'll try to snap a few with my phone. Although who am I kidding, I only took like 20 pics on a week honeymoon, I just hate pictures lol.

beautiful! what'd you use for seasoning?

Nothing fancy.I don't brine or inject.I keep it simple.3 or 4 smashed garlic cloves and some pepper and sea salt in the cavity.Olive oil the outside.Apple and heavy on the cherry for smoke.Kingsford charcoal and a 30 year old Weber kettle grill.Put the lid on and cook.Pull at 175 degrees and let it rest for at least 15 min.Longer is even better.I also start with a little boiling water in drip pan.Thats it.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone ever made pastrami before? I accidentally bought a corned beef brisket a while back when I wanted to make brisket and I've got this thing sitting around needing to be smoked...

To answer your question --no I haven't but I found this. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html

That probably the best looking turkey I've ever seen! I am making up two 10 lb pork shoulders for our family Christmas event this year.

Thanks. That old Weber has never failed me. Good idea on the pork. Sounds like a plan here too. My daughter is a big fan of some pulled piggy.

i really need to smoke something up, its been far too long and I need some good BBQ in my life. Time to hit up my Myron Mixon book for ideas lol

Old school for me too. I still like books. This is my favorite. More than just recipes. Has info on a lot of joints. http://bigwaynerbbq.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/book-review-peace-love-and-barbecue/. This is another. A good coffee table book. Full of color pictures. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7974659-the-big-book-of-bbq

Not sure, I've smoked things both with the Smokenator attachment and with just a water pan in the middle. The nice thing is you can really increase the cooking area by cooking on the lower grate as well as the top, particularly if you want lower temps. Cooks really even too since the edges dont hang over the coals.

I am going to make my two 10 lbers a few days in advance so its not a rush on christmas. Do you guys think reheating in the crock pot will be okay?

its fantastic especially if you like it saucy and add Montgomery Inn sauce. My family is very partial to that sauce and I've done it this way before and it was a huge hit

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got a new smoker for Christmas (Charbroil Electric vertical smoker.)

IMAG0454.jpg

I picked up some butterfly pork chops from the meat market in town, made a rub for them.

Ready to go in the smoker:

IMAG0458.jpg

Soaked some apple and some hickory chips in apple juice, and smoked them for about 4-5 hours to an internal temperature of about 165 degrees. They turned out pretty good for the first smoke in the new smoker! Next time I do chops, I might use a little less hickory, and heat some of the rub (brown sugar based) and brush some on part way through the smoke. They weren't quite juicy, but they were tender enough to cut through with a fork!

Finished product:

IMAG0459.jpg

Looks good to me! How did the new smoker perform?

Pretty well! The door is a bit messed up, but from what I've read, Char Broil will replace it. It held closed just fine, and didn't leak too bad though. I just set the temp and left it! I set the temp to read around 190-200 by the door thermometer, since most people with the same smoker say that it's way off once the food is in there.