cycling questions

redkow97

Went hiking (ok, walking dogs and needed to stay out of the sun) on Sunday morning, and could not stop thinking about how awesome it would have been to be mountain biking through the woods instead (sans mutts).

Cycling would also be a good way to stay in shape, and hopefully take some of the strain off my knee (which gets all pissed off and irritated if I run more than 3 times a week, and any more than 5k or so).

I am planning to buy a decent bike helmet and use my dad's $90 huffy mountain bike as an experiment to make sure I actually enjoy the whole cycling thing before taking the plunge on a "real" bike, but for those of you who are into cycling, I have the following questions and talking points:

1) Which is more practical and feesible, road, or trail?

I do have access to multiple acres of wooded ravine with some trails already cleared (at least they were 8 years ago, the last time I was back there) So a place to ride off-road is available, but it's a 20 minute drive from my house, which means I can't just walk to my garage and go like I could with a road bike. Roads are (duh) everywhere, but not nearly as fun... There is also the safety issue with cars, etc. The park path near me allows bikes, but can get a bit crowded at times. If Imprez55 happens to be reading this, the park trail pretty much runs from my house right past his. I don't know how far it goes. at least 7 miles, but on a road bike that's not very far.

2) If I go with an off-road bike, how necessary is suspension? I am seeing really great deals on older Trek and Univega mountain bikes from the mid to late 90's. The componants are solid, but so are the tails and forks... Is suspension that important if I'm not doing major down-hill runs on rocky terrain?

My other thought is to buy a rigid-framed mountain bike, and when/if I feel the need for suspension, upgrade and then throw narrower more road-friendly tires on the rigid bike. Then I have dedicated bikes for both environments, if not an ideal road bike.

3) what are the "hidden" costs? Helmets are shockingly cheap, but I'm guessing riding shorts aren't, and they become really necessary (right?).

4) assuming I do go the off-road route, where in the CLE area can I ride? The metroparks don't allow bikes on the hiking or horse trails (assholes...)

5) What are the odds that I'm going to be able to get my wife into this as well?

I'm looking for something athletic that we can do together. I expect that I'll have to start her off on the park trail near our house (which is pretty flat, minus 1 large hill) and then work her up to light off-road riding. She THINKS she can't do a lot of things. I know she's just not willing to try that hard, so early success is important...

thanks all

Long time road biker here. I think road is more practical and more prone to get you in shape if that is the goal. Off roading is fun but harder to do...harder to find places so it is more of an adventure than a getting into shape thing. Not saying it won't get you into shape, just harder to be consistent with doing it.

Metro Parks has added some off road trails this year in the Berea/Rocky River area.

Not a lot of hidden costs, but it can be addicting to buy crap for your cycling. Good pants and good seat are pretty mandatory. Flat repair kit, pump...a couple of water bottles and a bike rack and you are good to go. Not terribly expensive, unless you convince yourself you need some awesome bike. I highly recommend Bike Authority in Brecksville for bikes and gear. Very honest people that will bend over backwards to teach you and help you.

http://www.bikeauthority.com

Sure you can get your wife into it. It is how I met my wife. We cycled down US 1 in California for our honeymoon.

Edited by Tonik

I used to race USCF road (criteriums), so i'm biased toward the road. Much greater speeds and the bikes are a lot lighter. Think Ferrari vs. Jeep.

That being said, I also own a mountain bike and get some enjoyment from it, but not as much as being on the road.

To answer your questions:

1) - if you have to drive 20 miles to get to a place to ride, you're (probably) going to be less likely to ride. However, you could always just ride the bike around the neighborhood, and once you're in bike-shape you could ride to the trail and home again. 100 mile (road) days aren't bad once you're in shape.

2) I'm not qualified to answer, but mine has front suspension. Maybe if you're flying down hills it's needed, dunno.

3) you'll want a helmet, two (minimum) pairs of shorts (unless you/your wife likes to do laundry and you're riding every day), shoes, gloves, water bottle(s), tire patch kit, air pump.

clothing, if you watch sales, will be $100 and up for (2) shorts, gloves, and a helmet. Other stuff $50 - $100

4) dunno, live in the c-bus area

5) don't know your wife (insert joke here), but as long as you don't wanna go ballz-out i'd imagine she'd like to ride (insert another joke here). "The couple that plays together stays together". I see lots of couples out riding, just a leisurely pace, although i'm sure there are plenty that go at a competitive pace also.

All in all, biking is a lot like tennis - something you can do your entire life. Relatively low-cost, relatively injury-free.

I'd imagine KTM-Brian will chime in at some point, he seems to be a mountain bike guy.

I've got a buddy that owns a used (and new) bike shop in C-Bus, if you're ever in town he can make a deal for ya. http://www.onceriddenbikes.com

Edited by jblosser
added link to bike shop

I highly recommend Bike Authority in Brecksville for bikes and gear. Very honest people that will bend over backwards to teach you and help you.

http://www.bikeauthority.com

I bought my first "real" (non-huffy) mountain bike from Sherman back when it was still "BikeLine."

I just dont' want to buy new, and spend an extra $200+ for no reason. Maybe after i'm addicted though.

Last time I looked at new bikes they had some decent 'hybrid' bikes, mainly tire tread was a little smoother in the middle and more aggressive on the sides.

It's more fun to take a mountain bike on the road than a road bike in the mountains, a hard tail should do you fine. I ended up with a Raleigh Mojave, hard tail and front suspension is lockable. Great for trips down the bike path with the dog or through the woods,

-VanDy

I'm cruising Cleveland CL and finding all manner of bikes...

There are a lot of $60-$75 Walmart bikes that look high-tech (i.e. Y-frame and full suspension) but I know the componants are going to be junk.

What I'm more interested in are the $200 bikes that someone paid $500 for a few years ago. This is even less than I was expecting, and looks to be pretty high quality. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bik/3130035314.html

I just bought a mountain bike about 3 weeks ago. Ive have some bike paths through the subdivisions where I live that I have been riding. I have also ridden Alum Creek P1 twice now and plan on going tomorrow morning. I will say I enjoy the challenge of riding the trails much more than riding on the street. Luckily I live less than 10 minutes from two trails so the convenience factor isnt a big deal. I will be looking into a road bike in the future as I could see that being very enjoyable as well.

Hidden costs...I bought bike shorts with gel and they help alot. I just upgraded my pedals today as well.

You can always ride your mtn bike on the road but not a road bike on the trails.

I will say definitely buy a good lower end bike from a good manufacturer...trek, specialized, fuji, giant, etc. I found a 3 month old Specialized Hardrock with disc brakes for $300. The bikes take some abuse on the trails so definitely need/want a better bike. I would also look for something with disc brakes. You could upgrade one with rim brakes but the disc ones are more expensive and you'll want good brakes.

Thats my limited knowledge from someone just starting out so....

Edited by Mykill

The disc brakes are something I've wondered about.

How do they work? Hydrolic?

I just wonder how a small disc can be more efficient than the radial-mounted cantilever brakes grabbing the rim further from the point of rotation. It would seem that the standard brakes would have better leverage.

I have always assumed the disc brakes were more to combat muddy or wet rims that would compromise the radial-mounted standard setups.

My old (1997?) Giant "boulder" had decent enough brakes from what I recall, but I wasn't even in high school then.

I have both on & off road. While off road is fun I find myself more apt to hit the road for fitness. I do 70 to 120 miles a week about 9 months a year on road & go off road about once a month. The best suggestion I can think of is to get a heart rate monitor & use it with a time (not mileage) schedule. Also, hill climbing is a great way to increase your fitness level in a hurry. If your resting heart rate is more than 10 beats higher than normal before a ride take it very easy or take the day off. Make sure you get a bike that has the right size frame for your frame. Good luck.

I got a Diamondback DBR series bike ( dual suspension ) back in the late 90's to work on fitness, and off-road is definitely more fun ( and harder on you ) than roadbiking imo. Rigid bikes are easier to ride on-road vs. full suspension bikes on-road since they soak up so much of your power when pedaling hard surfaces. But taking a rigid off-road will surely kill your joints, ass, back, and balls vs full suspension.

Mine was about $1600 new - 27sp, dual hydraulic disc, RockShox susp fore and aft, "good" Shimano hardware, and ball bearing EVERYTHING ( even the pedal stems ) so once it's cruising it doesn't want to stop. Quality can't really be found in your local dept. stores so if you want one that will last, stop into a dealer for serious rides.

On-roading is tougher on a full susp bike though, so for fitness it's almost a win/win no matter which route you want except for the tire wear. My knobby's are rolled pretty bad from high gear runs on country backroads, but I LOVE the fact that I can hit the streets to the trails and then have a bike that can tolerate off-roading extremes

Oh...and the last statement in your first post makes me sad. My ex-wife is that way. It really made activities as a couple damn near impossible. I suggest bikepaths that are paved and shaded. The road can be a fucker' date=' and a lot harder than people realize.[/quote']

Makes me sad too, but she has at least acknowledged my efforts to find something we can do together. As noted, we went hiking together Sunday, which is when I brought up the possibility of cycling together. Her response to both was positive.

Where we differ is that I enjoy shopping bikes, doing the research online, and debating the merits of this kind of thing with you guys. The anticipation of how much fun it could be is sometimes a bigger thrill than the actual event (i have felt this way about track days and racing lately as well).

My wife DOES NOT share that sentiment. I think she may well be willing to go cycling with me, but she just wants to DO it. She has no desire to talk about buying bikes, or plan rides. Not yet anyway.

I'm just in a position where I don't want to spend $500 on bikes and equipment for both of us if we're not commited to using them somewhat regularly. I actually have a pretty nice (women's) Specialized hybrid hanging in our garage, but it is in much need of repair before it's suitable for her. Maybe that needs to become a priority on my project list.

I'll have to look up how to true a bicycle wheel online...

I prefer riding off road for a few reasons, but the convenience factor of a road bike is definitely higher, unless you're close enough to a trail to ride to the trailhead.

Lots of good bike specific advise here - biggest thing is make sure you get one that fits! If you check out the CAMBA forums, occasionally you'll find something in your size for a great deal. http://camba.us/wp/ There's also a trail map for the state on the site.

Regarding places to go off-road, there's now an ~8mi trail system in the Strongsville Metroparks at Royalview (by 130th & 82). It still has hills, but it's much less technical, and has less steep ups/downs than the others in the area such as Reagan Park in Medina, so it's a great trail to start MTB riding on. CAMBA runs a beginner's group ride on Tuesday nights at 630.

If you're somewhere near 5'8"ish, I have a basic MTB I can throw together if you want to try the MTB thing.

Well that's another question - fitting.

I know (or have read) that you fit a road bike by sticking a book in your crotch (like a bike seat) and marking where the book hits the wall. Measure from the floor to the mark, and you can figure out the proper road bike frame size.

For mountain bikes, the frames are much smaller. I believe my old Giant (from when I was 13 or 14) was a 16" frame, but it might have been 18"

I am 6' and have around a 33" inseam, so I figure 18-20" frame is probably about right, but I'd prefer to guess too small than too large.

Am I wrong to assume I'll be up out of the seat more often off-road? Legs are nature's rock shox, no?

Stay off the roads, that is what the bike trails are for!!!!!!

Funny. Try really riding a road bike for exercise on one of those "bike" trails(most are designated multi-purpose). You will hear endless people bitching about you riding too fast and passing without enough warning(tough to do when they have ear phones in), kids and dogs completely out of control, and people generally saying go ride on the street, this trail isn't for that kind of riding. :rolleyes:

Road riding is easier to do as in, hop on bike and go, no putting bike on car and taking it somewhere. I live in a near perfect place for it. Most of my rides are 25-40 miles, and I usually only have ten cars or so have to pass me on any one ride. Yes, when I first started, it managed to help me drop all the weight I wanted, but I have somehow figured out how to still ride 60-100 miles a week and get fat.:(

1) Which is more practical and feesible, road, or trail?

Road biking has no appeal to me whatsoever. Mountain biking is only really "feesible" when the trails are dry, when they were wet I used to ride Metroparks path for excercise, specifically some sections in Berea that weren't so straight and boring. Now I got a kickass recumbent stationary with a TV in front of it though.

2) If I go with an off-road bike, how necessary is suspension?

You pretty much need a fork. It's crucial in maintaining control over tree roots and stuff, and the smallest amount of cushion is a huge relief to your wrists. I actually prefer a hardtail.

3) what are the "hidden" costs? Helmets are shockingly cheap, but I'm guessing riding shorts aren't, and they become really necessary (right?).

I wear long sleeve T, jeans and skate shoes. And an MX helmet and gloves. And a Camelbak. I'm there for the excercise not to win a race. I also don't need a bunch of little cuts and scrapes to show off to my gnar bicycle buddies. As for shorts, I don't think they're necessary for the short loop offroad I usually do, as I don't actually sit down much unless I'm exhausted. Sometimes my junk finds its way out of my boxers and chafes on the inside of my jeans when I pedal though, that's kinda annoying.

4) assuming I do go the off-road route, where in the CLE area can I ride?

I used to ride Huffman Park in Medina (~2mi beginner to intermediate loop), Reagan Park in Medina (~4.7mi intermediate to advanced loop) and Findlay State Park in Wellington (~8mi intermediate loop). Maybe there's more since then, go to www.camba.us

5) What are the odds that I'm going to be able to get my wife into this as well?

For MTB she would have to be semi-athletic and somewhat adventurous. I took a buddy once who made a brilliant observation, "This takes a combination of skill and stamina. If you are lacking in one, you can make up for it with the other. I have neither, this is not fun and I never want to do it again. What's the easiest way back to the parking lot?"

Anyhow, all the above is IMHO, and I'm sure eventually some pro MTBer will be along to tell you I'm an idiot. Which I am. I've done alot of things in my life, and every one of them half-ass.

As for frame size I prefer a smaller bike. Mine is a 17, which I'm sure if you look at proper sizing is way too small for me. I don't really see what difference it makes, I pretty much ride it like a BMX bike.

I run the seat way low too. Mostly so it doesn't get in my way, but it also seemed that pedaling with my legs bent was excellent quad excercise for the transitions that I found so fatiguing on the sportbike. I'm sure that's a dumb idea too.

The CAMBA forum had a post that suggested not buying suspension unless you can afford GOOD suspension.

That makes sense to me, and I am hoping to find a hard tail with a fork that locks for road use. That or a full rigid frame that will eventually become a road bike.

An older GT or Trek is now topping my wish list.

Here's my take from what's been stated so far. I am an avid mountain bike rider. I currently have a Niner RIP 9 and love it and will not be dong any road bike riding anytime soon.

Anyone that thinks one or the other (road vs. MTB) is better is being silly or only rides one or the other. I do not like road riding as it is very boring to me. Trails like Alumn or Mohican are awesome and offer challenges I don't get on the road pedaling in the country for miles on end. Is it better? I don't think so. You don't ride the same for each. Road bikes are designed to be ridden long distances and MTB bikes are either or. But, in the end, each will push you and make you more fit than not.

That all being said, it sounds to me that you are not really serious. Which is fine. Dipping the toes in the water, if you will... Reason I say this is that while you don't need to spend $6k like some of us have or do, spending $200 even on a used MTB is not really going to get you a solid performing machine that will last for a good time and be able to handle what you throw at it. Paved trails like the ones that run around the state? Sure. Take a $200 MTB to Mohican and you will kill yourself or it will get destroyed by mile 11.

If you want to dabble in the sport of MTB, that's totally cool. But, like motorcycles, you get what you pay for and you need to be looking at $600-$1k priced bikes new or take those machines and look for a year old one and you'll probably save enough where you can get a $600 machine for $300. But, again... $600 isn't getting you much these days.

It's all relative and it is all what you want out of it. Riding the way it sounds you will? Buy a hardtail. You probably could do without a suspended front fork, but I would recommend you buying a front forked bike. Full suspension takes the cost way up and also dumbs down the components. Components are TOTALLY KEY!! Spend the money on good components as they will last longer, work better and provide a better result.

Buy cheap and you'll either hate MTB riding or buy cheap and you'll be upgrading within the year. Either way, you are wasting money in my mind and need to look at @ $1k machines to get anything out of it... Again, used is great.

Used is an issue a lot of times. Many people buy a $1k bike and never use it which is great. Others use it and never maintain it. That's bad. Again, wearing out lower end components means they will not last with you and you need to replace sooner rather than later. Look for good stuff and do the research.

I will look at a few in your area tonight and give my opinion. I like Specialized, Trek, Fisher and Giant for entry level bikes. They are solid companies that mix components, but they also provide great customer service and have accessible locations to help you if you need something...

Here's a few quickly searching...

Paragon by Gary Fisher is a rock solid hard tail 29er. I had an '11 model I rebuilt from the ground up and it never gave me fits in terms of the frame. God components and good condition at under $1k. You could offer $800 and probably get this:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/3126180652.html

Great starter Specialized also...

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/3126288421.html

I'll look for more, but anything that was under $500 was shit.

Thanks Brian - I am indeed "dipping my toes in the water," which is why I don't want to spend $500+ up front.

As noted, I'm going to take an old Huffy (free) and remind myself how much they suck. That might be all it takes to get me willing to buy that second bike posted.

I just need to verify that I'll actually stick with cycling. And if I can get the wife into it, then suddenly she'll have a lot more appreciation for a more expensive bike.

So there's a lot that's "TBD" in this whole endeavor. In my mind, I'm going to hit the trails tonight and be blasting off sweet jumps right away. I also thought I would be sweet at tracking a motorcycle the first time I went out, and as I've said before, I'm finally almost as good today as I thought I'd be my first time out :-)

So I know it's not going to be exactly what I envision, but if the Huffy gets me started, and 90's Trek for $275 gets me through the year, THEN I think I can swing the $800 or so it will take to get something really "serious." I'm just not there yet.