Found a second use for a motorcycle jacket

Kmanlyst

Every chow I've met is mean.

+1. I am a dog lover and I can't stand that breed. Never met a chow that I liked. A chow/pit mix is a bad idea to begin with...nothing like a tempermental dog with the strength to do something crazy. Pits, by nature, are very well behaved dogs with awesome temperment. It's the asshole owners that screw them up and make them mean. Glad you are ok, I would have definitely reported this to the police/animal control as well.

Edited by drew95gt

I don't really care what studies and things say, this is not the first time I have heard or seen a pit bull attacking someone for no reason. My neighbor had his taken away a few years ago because it bit a 5 year old playing in the yard. Never saw it have any kind of aggression towards anyone until that day. So I may be bias in my opinion but thats exactly what it is, an opinion. Was it a mix or a pure breed, I don't know, but I do know that dog will always be in the back of my mind whenever I think of the breed.

Edited by JStump

I don't really care what studies and things say, this is not the first time I have heard or seen a pit bull attacking someone for no reason. My neighbor had his taken away a few years ago because it bit a 5 year old playing in the yard. Never saw it have any kind of aggression towards anyone until that day. So I may be bias in my opinion but thats exactly what it is, an opinion. Was it a mix or a pure breed, I don't know, but I do know that dog will always be in the back of my mind whenever I think of the breed.

first of all again, all dogs have the ability to do that. there's actually nothing about a pitbull that makes it more potentially aggressive than any other breed.

it's just been given a bad rep by bad press.

in reality a pitbull was bread to be nice to people. and was once the most popular breed in the usa. it was nick named the nanny dog.

while I don't like cesar milan he's a very outspoken advocate of pitbulls. and owns a bunch of them. it's the wolf pack thing he teaches has been proven wrong. but that's a whole other topic which is about like oil threads or religious threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fTK1a05V4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGp-bOl4Go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGairk18L8g&feature=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GqyrnBrbFo

Edited by serpentracer

It's not that other dogs don't bite, it's that other dogs are not as powerful as a pit bull. Like someone else stated, a pit chow mix is a bad idea because of the attitude of the chow and the power of the pit. Its not that all pits are bad dogs, but when they are bad, they are very bad because of the power they can unleash.

It's not that other dogs don't bite, it's that other dogs are not as powerful as a pit bull. Like someone else stated, a pit chow mix is a bad idea because of the attitude of the chow and the power of the pit. Its not that all pits are bad dogs, but when they are bad, they are very bad because of the power they can unleash.

Not as powerful? That is the weakest argument.

Brb stupid as government saying we can only have 22lr's because a 223 is too powerful.

This entire conversation can just die...what are the other circumstances? You were wearing your jacket....what about your helmet? Gloves? I've had my dog react when she couldn't recognize or smell me...did you do anything threatening? Did you thrust your hands into the dog's face? I've NEVER had a dog snap at me where I wasn't forcing the situation. And my pit mix was born 3 months before my youngest, they grew up together and Marzen would lay her life down for Cassandra.

that's true they do have the most powerful bite in the dog world 3000lbs. a rottweiler only has 1000lbs. and they can be other dog aggressive. that's where you need to watch them the closest is with other animals.

that's true they do have the most powerful bite in the dog world 3000lbs. a rottweiler only has 1000lbs. and they can be other dog aggressive. that's where you need to watch them the closest is with other animals.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

Every chow I've met is mean.

I've had the opposite experience with them, although I haven't been around many of them.

Agree. Chows are 1 person dogs.

This is what I've heard about them, 1 or 2 people, not a family. I'd love to have a chow, but with this and the fact that we have 4 kids would make it a potentially bad idea.

It's the asshole owners that screw them up and make them mean.

While I would like to perpetuate this thought because it would be a nice place to defend from my over 30 years experience with pit bulls has shown otherwise. Now that the dog is no longer bred for its intent people have been free to breed them to fit what their intent is. Some people have purposely tried to breed dogs that are aggressive when in the past they would have been culled out as a liability. People are getting dogs that aren't stable without knowing what they are in for, not all dogs are good dogs and that statement can be true for all breeds. A few decades ago your statement might have been true, regretfully now not so much.

Was it a mix or a pure breed, I don't know, but I do know that dog will always be in the back of my mind whenever I think of the breed.

Conflicting statement and thought process.

it was nick named the nanny dog.

Your post was correct in almost every aspect.

Staffordshire bull terriers are referred to as nanny dogs.

I had a german shepherd sneak up on me and about rip me off my motorcycle, I was slowing down to turn into a driveway and looking for the dog, I knew not to slow down if it was untied. It caught me from the other side and behind, I drug it 60-70 feet down the road before it let go. I bled pretty bad but blew it off and was just glad it didn't get to the rear of the ankle or archilles tendon.

Had a chow tear into me, I just covered my face and kept rolling until the owner could get it off me. I knew how mean that shepherd could be but I was more afraid of that chow than any other dog ever.

I wore a bite sleeve and helped work with a police dog, even wrestled with it a bit but that darn chow wouldn't quit.

I must not have ran across the right pit because I have never had a problem or been intimidated by one, lucky I guess.

While I would like to perpetuate this thought because it would be a nice place to defend from my over 30 years experience with pit bulls has shown otherwise. Now that the dog is no longer bred for its intent people have been free to breed them to fit what their intent is. Some people have purposely tried to breed dogs that are aggressive when in the past they would have been culled out as a liability. People are getting dogs that aren't stable without knowing what they are in for, not all dogs are good dogs and that statement can be true for all breeds. A few decades ago your statement might have been true, regretfully now not so much.

That is true, some dogs are bred to be aggressive. My argument is that ANY dog can be made mean, it isn't exclusively a pit bull issue. All of the pit bulls I have been exposed to were total sweethearts though because my friends that had them are all responsible dog owners. The only mean dogs I have ever been around for any length of time were my buddies Chow who was super aggressive to everyone but him and my old Black Lab/Rottweiler mix who was slightly aggressive toward other dogs and was a bit of a people chaser...but I fixed that by going through dog training with her.

Edited by drew95gt

Lets get some facts here because all I see are people throwing around opinions and we all know what those are like.....

Pit Bulls are descendants of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. "Bulldogs" were bred to hang on without releasing their grip, until the animal was exhausted from fighting and from loss of blood. When baiting large animals was banned in the 1800s, people then started to fight their dogs against each other instead.

As the "sport" of dog fighting developed, enthusiasts bred a lighter, more athletic canine. These dogs made their way to North America, the ancestors of today's Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls that were not used for fighting were considered ideal family pets—affectionate, loyal and gentle with children. Serious problems started when these dogs gained the attention of people looking for a macho dog—and to meet their demands, unscrupulous and uncaring breeders are producing puppies that were not only aggressive to other dogs, but also to people. (http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/dog-fighting/pit-bull-cruelty.aspx?gclid=CPvm0qHx4bECFQfCKgodDysAow)

In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), Pit Bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than Beagles ... 78.2%, and Golden Retrievers ... 83.2%. Study can be found here: http://atts.org/breed-statistics/statistics-page1/

Research shows that during the 7-year period from 2005 to 2011, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of the total recorded fatal dog attacks. By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2011, a report by Animal People shows that pit bulls (215) and rottweilers (81) and their mixes accounted for 64% of the total recorded fatal attacks (466). (2011 U.S. Dog Bite Fatality Statistics - DogsBite.org, DogsBite.org, January 4, 2012. Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011, by Merritt Clifton, Animal People, December, 26, 2011)

Cliffs: There is factual arguements for both sides, that mostly points to poor ownership choices and improper/lack of training of the dog.

Edited by Big Chief201
  • Upvote 2

That is true, some dogs are bred to be aggressive. My argument is that ANY dog can be made mean, it isn't exclusively a pit bull issue. All of the pit bulls I have been exposed to were total sweethearts though because my friends that had them are all responsible dog owners. The only mean dogs I have ever been around for any length of time were my buddies Chow who was super aggressive to everyone but him and my old Black Lab/Rottweiler mix who was slightly aggressive toward other dogs and was a bit of a people chaser...but I fixed that by going through dog training with her.

My point was the assumption that it is bad owners that make bad dogs while that is most certainly one of the ways to end up with a bad dog it isn't the only one. Genetics from poor breeding lead to poor dogs regardless of good or bad owners with or without proper training. Bad dogs can be managed but they are not usually stable social dogs.

Lets get some facts here because all I see are people throwing around opinions and we all know what those are like......

You are making a generalization that doesn't include all of us.

Pit Bulls that were not used for fighting were considered ideal family pets—affectionate, loyal and gentle with children.

Even dogs used for fighting were kept as ideal family pets.

Serious problems started when these dogs gained the attention of people looking for a macho dog—and to meet their demands, unscrupulous and uncaring breeders are producing puppies that were not only aggressive to other dogs, but also to people.

Cliffs: There is factual arguements for both sides, that mostly points to poor ownership choices and improper/lack of training of the dog.

Don’t these two quotes cancel each other out?

pit bulls (215) and rottweilers (81) and their mixes accounted for 64% of the total recorded fatal attacks (466).

Using the C.D.C. numbers or any other numbers for bite statistics is unreliable because identifying a pit bull is very unreliable. Believing in bad statistics and using then in a debate leads to poor conclusions. Does it matter the actual volume of dogs when using statistics or just the numbers? Putting pit bulls and rottweilers into the same category is proof that people don’t understand the subject matter.