ATV brake issue

max power

I have replaced the rear brake pads on my Wolverine every 3 rides since I got it.

I have tried every different type of pad and replaced the caliper slide pins. The sintered pads are shot after probably 100 miles. The warrior has always been nearly as bad and I removed the parking brake on it years ago, but it didn't make much difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Stop ridin' with your right foot on the lever? There should be a footpeg directly behind it to rest your hoof on.

Sorry, I dont have much input other than that. If it were problematic on the Wolverine ONLY, I'd say maybe bent/warped rotor or maybe a bad caliper dragging? I honestly dont know since you've experienced it on 2 machines:dunno:

I never use it. Ever. Brand new rotor, just replaced the caliper slides.

The piston side wears down quicker than the outside, which was only half gone.

It sure sounds like something is keeping the caliper from sliding, or it's off center of the rotor. In reality, you're likely to have more wear on the pad on the piston side, but not half of the pad difference!

It sure sounds like something is keeping the caliper from sliding, or it's off center of the rotor. In reality, you're likely to have more wear on the pad on the piston side, but not half of the pad difference!

This is why I installed new caliper slide pins when I changed the pads a few weeks ago. The old ones were stuck. I guess I need to start buying pads by the case. The fronts never wear out.

Is youre ebrake still connected? We've got an 06 Wolvie and don't have that problem (even with ebrake connected), but had a Z400 that liked to eat pads. Removed the ebrake assembly from the handebar back, and solved the problem. Common.

This is why I installed new caliper slide pins when I changed the pads a few weeks ago. The old ones were stuck. I guess I need to start buying pads by the case. The fronts never wear out.

I thought you were smart enough to figure that much out, it never hurts to have an occasional reminder of the basics!

How well does the piston push back? Maybe the hydraulics are holding some pressure on them, but not enough to feel the difference?

Is youre ebrake still connected? We've got an 06 Wolvie and don't have that problem (even with ebrake connected), but had a Z400 that liked to eat pads. Removed the ebrake assembly from the handebar back, and solved the problem. Common.

yup the z's will do that on the black one i had i already had a block off plate on it, im keeping an eye on my white one

That's crazy, unless you never use the front brake! I got 2 years out of my fronts on my Honda, and have yet to look at the rears. At least you only have to change one set, since it's rears only!

I thought you were smart enough to figure that much out, it never hurts to have an occasional reminder of the basics!

How well does the piston push back? Maybe the hydraulics are holding some pressure on them, but not enough to feel the difference?

Seems to be fine. Pushed back easy.

yup the z's will do that on the black one i had i already had a block off plate on it, im keeping an eye on my white one

I have one on the warrior. Still eats pads.

That's crazy, unless you never use the front brake! I got 2 years out of my fronts on my Honda, and have yet to look at the rears. At least you only have to change one set, since it's rears only!

I never touch the rears.

I installed some EBC red pads last night. @ $30, I hope they last longer than 3 rides.