Abandoned bike question

undr_psi

A friend of mine works for a campus housing owner, and picked up a bike left in the lot for well over 3 years. He ran the vin and the previous owner is long gone but the bike doesn't come up as stolen and was last tagged in 09. How hard is it to get a title and what all is involved?

A friend of mine works for a campus housing owner, and picked up a bike left in the lot for well over 3 years. He ran the vin and the previous owner is long gone but the bike doesn't come up as stolen and was last tagged in 09. How hard is it to get a title and what all is involved?

So a worker just took it from the lot? Like stole it? '09 there for three years. I bet it has a lien on it and the bank is looking for it.

It was abandoned. The owner of the lot files a police report and files an abandoned vehicle report with the BMV. Shortly later the owner of the lot gets a title.

But now that you have moved it off the lot I have no idea. I would put it back and follow the proper procedure.

I would put it back and follow the proper procedure.

This. Theft is theft - you don't have to know who the owner of the property is to steal something from them

Ideas: Check vin with the police. Check with the title office and see if they can help you get in touch with the owner. They will also tell you if there are are any liens.

The titled owner is first in line to the bike. Any lienholders are second. Finally, if you cannot trace the owners or lienholders then there IS a process to claim abandoned vehicles - but.... Thinks of this... Would YOU leave a perfectly good bike behind when you move out? No? Nobody would! What is wrong with it? Bad engine? Won't start? Fried ECU? You may find yourself going through a bunch of time and paperwork just to inherit a bike that only worth scrap value.

Easiest: Track down the previous owner and buy the bike from them for an appropriately low amount. Have them get a duplicate title and sign it over to you.

Harder: Track down the previous owner and have them to get a duplicate title and sign it over to you.

Hardest: There IS a process to claim the bike through the BMV but you will have to talk with them directly.

Either way, beware there is 99% chance the bike is junk.

Free bike?!?! If it starts/runs, I'd take steps to acquire a title legally then go from there. If there's no way to title it, maybe turn it in to the police or transform it into a tracker since it's blatantly apparent the p.o. doesn't want it :D

Ok - if the owner of the property has a legal claim to it, for example, the camp area has a strict "vehicles left over xx hours will incur fees or be impounded" policy, it's POSSIBLE to get the title. Not at all easy. Abandoned vehicle does not exist in Ohio, mechanic's lien does not exist in Ohio. Ohio has what is referred to as an "Unclaimed Vehicle Affidavit." You file this with the BMV, and send the current owner a registered letter telling them to retrieve the vehicle and pay the fees or it will be possessed under the Ohio UVA laws. If they don't claim after the specified period (I believe it's two weeks), the rightful claimant can file for title, pay some fees (which can be as little as a few bucks, or as much as the entire fair market value of the vehicle) and get a title, free and clear.

Here's the kicker - it's almost impossible for a private party to do, and it's difficult for a repair shop to do, even if they have a reasonable case. You are almost required to have the vehicle impounded by a tow company and have them file. And of course the State itself or a City/Municipality can file under the same code.

Good luck, I'd look elsewhere for a bike...

(Incidentally, I've done this process several times successfully, but it was always through a shop. My recommendation, call the owner or send him a letter. Offer him $50 to go to the BMV, burn another title, and send it to you notarized. If he's left it there that long, he may just do that to get the bike off his records.)

How old is the bike? If its over 15 years old getting it plated in vermont is easy. Print out a few forms from their website and mail them a check. Plates come in less than 2 weeks. Vermont doesn't title anything over 15 years old, as long as it doesn't come back as stolen you're good to go. You can then transfer that registration to ohio and get a title. I did it with a CB200 that was abandoned, last registered in 88.

When I was the manager of a body shop we had to file with the DMV to get a title on abandoned vehicles. It takes a period of several weeks. They send the original owner a notice, and if they do not reply within a certain period of time, they issue you ownership. That was a few years ago, but it should still be the same process.

How old is the bike? If its over 15 years old getting it plated in vermont is easy. Print out a few forms from their website and mail them a check. Plates come in less than 2 weeks. Vermont doesn't title anything over 15 years old, as long as it doesn't come back as stolen you're good to go. You can then transfer that registration to ohio and get a title. I did it with a CB200 that was abandoned, last registered in 88.

The OP's friend took this bike from a lot. Technically he stole it. You are now helping him wash the title. You are both going to PMITA prison. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPcql4FuCK0

Thanks, and just FYI the vin was ran before the bike was ever moved that's how they got the owners name, they ran that name in there computer system and the previous owner Of the bike moved out in aug of 2008. I gave him your advise an told him to try to track down the owner of the bike and go from there