Welp, sold the bike today...

Josh1234

Owned it for 1 year and 2 weeks! I sold my 2004 YZF-600R. It had 19K miles and I got 3K for it. I was asking 3500, but since it's so late in the season, I figured beggars can't be choosers, and I still made profit.

I was pretty torn about keeping vs selling, since I know it's a solid bike with plenty of power I could continue to grow into. A YZF-600R is comfortable, reliable, and has a plenty big community, but I just bought an engagement ring for my GF, I don't make as much money as I did when I bought the bike, etc etc.

I'll definitely buy another bike (I've already been on craigslist browsing, LOL) but I don't know what it'll be. Honestly, it might be smaller. I really don't need as much power as a 600cc sportbike (or sport touring bike) can make, and it's way more fun to ride the piss outta something than to get halfway through second gear before you have to start braking :D

So, all in all, I've been riding 2 years... A different bike for each year. Started on a 500cc Buell Blast for 1 year, then had a 600cc YZF-600R for the second year. Personally, I think both were great for what I used them for. The blast was a fantastic bike to start on, and the YZF-600 was great to see a little more middle-range of what riding is all about. I sold each of them for more than I paid for them (Although I about broke even on money with the YZF, since I bought some new tires & if you count taxes paid on purchase price). Buying a bike, riding it for a year, and then selling it for profit is a good way to gain experience on different types of bikes, although there IS something to be said for familiarity.

I was looking into trading it for something smaller + cash, since my GF has expressed interest in learning to ride, but nothing came through and I was pretty lazy about advertising... A craigslist ad, bumped once a week. Someone had the cash and was ready, so I jumped at the opportunity.

I'm sad I missed the big yearly ride, but the time was right to sell... And now to find my next bike!

p.s... I'm sure I'll hang around the forums just as much, although it wasn't as much this year as last year.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations on your engagement Josh!! Wish you both the best. Been wondering were you have been. Missed seeing you this year. It may take a few more buy and sells but one day you will hit on the bike that suits your style. Congrats again from the elderly gentleman.

Congratulations on your engagement Josh!! Wish you both the best. Been wondering were you have been. Missed seeing you this year. It may take a few more buy and sells but one day you will hit on the bike that suits your style. Congrats again from the elderly gentleman.

I'm not elderly yet, But I will agree with mr. Heimer. I have been through 3 bikes in 4 years to finally get one that fits me well. Also Congrats on the engagement! :D

I just got married and I'm probably going to be getting out of riding for a bit. I might get into the dirt side of things, but I'm under a lot of pressure to get rid of the bikes.

See that would drive me nuts and would cause too many issues. Luckily for me, she loves riding and knows I love it too and would never be without a bike. Problem is just finding the time to enjoy it as much as I would like

See that would drive me nuts and would cause too many issues. Luckily for me, she loves riding and knows I love it too and would never be without a bike. Problem is just finding the time to enjoy it as much as I would like

My wife was fine with the bike (her dad rides) until we had the kids. That was the end of riding for this guy.

Let me elaborate on not getting married, after this disclaimer.

I did get married. My wife has not made me sell a single thing or get rid of anything I like.

She doesn't even guilt trip me when I go for all day rides on Wednesdays when she works til like 2 and I'm off all day.

Prior to my current wife, I was in a 3 year relationship with this BITCH... I was mentally abused by her the entire time. I did everything for her she asked. I sold half the things I owned so I could get her what she wanted. I bought a revolver for myself and jebus oh lord, She told me to take it back to the store.

Well I know a lot of it had to be with me being young and stupid and infatuated. But really, if you had to sell something to buy an engagement ring this is obviously not the girl for you. I'd highly recommend asking for it back (legally she has to in Ohio) and return it and buy another bike.

Really, don't get married to her.

Seriously, don't get married to someone you had to sell your bike to buy an engagement ring.

DON'T FREAKING DO IT.

Seriously, there is no sarcasm in this post.

JUST DON'T FREAKING DO IT.

Seriously, brah.. Don't do it.

The OP didn't sell the bike because she made him for a ring, he did it for better affordability and financial position at the current time. At least knowing Josh a little I'm pretty sure that is the case

I got engaged August '11 and in August '12 sold my bike. It had nothing to do with my financial situation or my new fiance. I switched locations for my job and haven't been able to ride as much. I decided I would rather have the money than the bike just sitting there. I will own another one some day and my fiance/future wife will not care in the least. Congrats on the engagement sir and good luck finding another bike if that is what you decide to do!

The OP didn't sell the bike because she made him for a ring, he did it for better affordability and financial position at the current time. At least knowing Josh a little I'm pretty sure that is the case

I'm just a bitter bastard.

Listen' date=' Motherfucker... next June isn't turning into "bring your broad to NC" ride. :mad:[/quote']

HELL NO it isnt! She wants to go down there sometime with me but that would be an entirely different weekend. She knows damn well I won't let her tag along for that one

Yep! Haha, the first thing I did when I got home from selling the bike (after posting on here) was browse craigslist for a new bike :)

I proposed tonight (she said yes, haha!).

It's only a matter of time until I own another bike.... Kristina fully supports this & all my hobbies... she'd NEVER ask me to give up anything I love.

I hear all sorts of stories about bitches & hoes, and all I can say is that a lot of guys are dating the wrong kind of girl... because Kristina is awesome :) LOL she's in the other room on the phone with her friend spreading the good news... We're between episodes of Revolution and How I met your mother... Yep, after dinner & the proposal, a nice quiet night of leftovers, TV, and sex. Life is good. And even better because I don't have to worry about storing a bike for the winter! I live in a condo & don't have a garage, so it'd be awkward anyway. Who knows, if things go well, I might even buy a bike 1st thing in the spring.