No More Saturday Mail...Unless It's a Package

BadTrainDriver

Who gets paid with a live check?

Advertising is the only legitimate use of regular mail.

1/3 of our customers payments still come via snail mail. Almost all the our vendor invoices come through snail mail as well

Really??? You guys are complaining that letter carriers are over paid??? Are you really that jealous?

Has nothing to do with jealousy. I make more than most letter carriers.

They're still overpaid, over-pensioned, and over-benefitted for the work they do...and that's from a "skill and value" viewpoint as well as "relative to the company's bottom line".

The USPS is burdened by the cost of their employees. Yes they're wasteful, but that's not the albatross.

Has nothing to do with jealousy. I make more than most letter carriers.

They're still overpaid, over-pensioned, and over-benefitted for the work they do...and that's from a "skill and value" viewpoint as well as "relative to the company's bottom line".

The USPS is burdened by the cost of their employees. Yes they're wasteful, but that's not the albatross.

That is the perks that come with landing a government job. Good for them

The constitution is outdated and needs to be changed to fit modern life.

Sound familiar to you gun guys?

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 7

This is another constitutional discussion that isn't an inalienable right just like the 2nd amendment isn't, therefore subject to change. Be leery of a majority shift in the minds and hearts of those indoctrinated into the new political correctness we are currently seeing. A majority of states would be needed to change things but the constitution has been changed before.

Heck they even get little cool cars like pocket rockets in my area, and thats GROVEPORT, our subdivisions are lots of about 50-75 feet total frontage, yet they have a little car.

That is probably considered a rural route which means that a rural carrier owns that car and contracts with the post office to deliver mail.

The Retirement packages are a bit ridiculous.

The retirement system is a 1% of base pay that is put in. You can save more out of your pay if you like. If you do, the post office will match the next 2% and 1/2 of the next 1% you want to put in. It all goes into the market according to how you decide, through the Thrift Savings Plan. I think the Military has a similar plan. You can throw more in if you like.

The USPS is burdened by the cost of their employees.

The pay scale has been restructured for new employees entering the Post Office, to reduce that burden.

That bottom line is that the Post Office is not to be a profitable enterprise. It's to serve the public good at what it costs to do so.

Payroll is one of the most expensive costs of any business. That's why there are so many machines to do the different jobs that it used to take several people much longer to do. I work on those machines and keep them running. There are few I haven't worked on. Drive by 2323 Citygate Dr. in Columbus. It's over 800,000 sq ft of processing space that opened in 2001. I wish I could walk you through when it is in full swing, which is all night long.

Here's something you don't think about: Fuel Costs. I picked this up on some website:

A one-cent movement in fuel prices increases national costs for the post office by $8 million annually, or $667,000 a month, according to Greg Frey, a Postal Service spokesman. So if prices rose $1.50 per gallon, from, say, $3.50 to $5, fuel costs for the post office would increase by $100 million per month. A sustained period at $10 a gallon for gas would add billions in fuel costs. Frey says another risk also would be inevitable: "During the recent recession, the USPS experienced significant declines in mail volume and revenue. Should the U.S. economy slip significantly again due to spikes in fuel prices, it would certainly again adversely impact our revenue and cost base."

Mail volume is affected very much by the economy. Businesses don't want to waste money on postage by sending out ads if there is little chance of sales.

And how much have fuel prices raised since Chairman "O" has been in office?

Sounds like a good use for electric vehicles if you ask me.

I won't mind missing Saturdays, all I get amounts to paper spam anyway. And I'd have no problem going to the local PO to pick up any packages going USPS.

Really??? You guys are complaining that letter carriers are over paid??? Are you really that jealous?

You haven't noticed that complaining about what other people make is a constant theme around here?

A lot of people aren't making what they think they are worth.That tells me that...A)The whole lie that non-union bosses will reward great effort is,of course,a lie...or B)These people that complain aren't as shit hot as they think they are.

Sounds like a good use for electric vehicles if you ask me.

How about this?segway-mail.jpg

In the past, electric vehicles have been tried and used:

http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/electric-vehicles.pdf

You haven't noticed that complaining about what other people make is a constant theme around here?

A lot of people aren't making what they think they are worth.That tells me that...A)The whole lie that non-union bosses will reward great effort is,of course,a lie...or B)These people that complain aren't as shit hot as they think they are.

Everywhere that I have worked, those who have cried the loudest about their workload did the least work and put the most effort into getting someone else to do half of their job.

Not sure why people seem to be making a big deal out of this, its all over facebook.

Who really cares, except maybe a postal carrier that's gonna get less hours. The only thing that

comes in the mail nowadays are bills and junk mail. Most people, myself included, probably don't

even check their mailbox on Saturday.

Carrier's hours will not be reduced unless it's to lessen overtime expenses. What will be reduced is the number of people required to do the same amount of work.

From what I understand, the largest fit is being thrown by the postal unions and maybe a little from businesses that need to mail out merchandise or receive deliveries from the post office.

Who gets paid with a live check?

Advertising is the only legitimate use of regular mail.

Common practice for businesses to withhold paying suppliers till the day its due or to get terms discounts, it needs to be there on time not early, not late. No biggie.

I don't think I would carry mail for any amount of money.

1. Dog bites
  2. Extreme weather
  3. Leg and foot problems
  4. Back problems
  5. Hand and arm injuries
  6. Violence
  7. Upset customers
  8. Steps
  9. Rusty mailboxes with sharp edges
  10. Toys, tools, extension cords or hoses in the grass
  11. Dog piles – they’re slippery

Read it for yourself: http://www.nalc-branch78.org/pdf/articles/The_Hazards_of_Door_to_Door_Mail_Delivery.pdf

Its about time to put a tourniquet on and stop the bleeding. The USPS has been gushing money out for years while providing crap service. There's a good reason why they call it 'snail mail'. But we're probably the only country in the world with such a system that, basically, still works.

Our PO here in town will not take a credit card unless its signed on the back, even though I wrote on the space -ask for ID. So they will take one that is signed, but never ask for ID. Its policies like this that make it a losing proposition, profits wise.

It's not that they really give a crap. It's more like they have had problems with credit card companies when they have accepted cards not signed, that may have been stolen from mailboxes, or that since they handle the delivery of these cards to credit card customers, it would be a legal conflict of interest issue if they couldn't demonstrate that they were actually possessed by a customer before they were used for postal services. The signature of the customer would be adequate to show that they were actually delivered to the customer's address and not stolen by a postal employee when the item was in the mail stream.

Actually I called the bank where the card was issued and they said its not a requirement to have the card signed. Its only a requirement if the merchant says it is. The bank said as long as it is written on the card to 'check ID' everything is covered, as long as the merchant checks your ID. Like I said though, they do not check IDs even if the card is signed. :wtf:

Personally I do sign any of my cards. Makes it harder to be used by a thief. Not impossible, but more difficult. The bank said that's a better idea too. By putting 'check ID' in place of the signature I have nearly everyone who takes the card ask for my ID. I would rather have that anyway. So, unless I have cash I do not send packages via the USPS.

This has been long overdue.....now they just need to demand privatization and off of the federal tit.

They don't use tax dollars. It's self supporting. But, since congress controls the post office, they can't change their prices like UPS or FEDEX can without an act of congress, and we all know what it's like to get them to act in a timely fashion.

However' date=' ditching Saturday deliveries works for me. Brewser hates the mailman, and Saturday is the only day he gets to scare the shit out of me by jumping off the couch with his fangs in attack position.

Little bastard hates that goddamn mailman. :eek:[/quote']

Be thankful you live on a quiet street. That little bastard hated anyone that came to the door or walked past his sights lol

My father was a letter carrier, now retired. His retirement is not very good and he doesnt qualify for SS due to government employees do not pay into it. So now he has a part time job.

The letter carriers are worked so hard and in all types of weather. I have a lot of respect for the people who walk in those shoes.

• Upvote 1

They don't use tax dollars. It's self supporting. But, since congress controls the post office, they can't change their prices like UPS or FEDEX can without an act of congress, and we all know what it's like to get them to act in a timely fashion.

But, the Treasury loans them money - it's the same damn thing. And privatization would allow them to bypass Congress to become competitive.

But, hey, let's not interject common sense into the discussion.

• Upvote 1

But, the Treasury loans them money - it's the same damn thing. And privatization would allow them to bypass Congress to become competitive.

But, hey, let's not interject common sense into the discussion.

Maybe so. I don't know how all that works.

As far as privatization, I think it would all just crumble away. They would sell it off, piece by piece. If they had to pay taxes like a real business, they wouldn't know what to do.

All the truck driver's jobs are gone. They are all working at other postal jobs and truck driving has been contracted out. Piece by piece, little by little, it is getting slimmer and trimmer. Wanna buy a part of it? Make an offer to do the custodial work. I'm sure it will go as soon as they can get rid of it.

The people in charge wouldn't know how to run a real business and couldn't stay competitive. The big package handling businesses are years ahead of the USPS. Their volume is massive and they have an infrastructure in place to absorb all of the package business of the USPS, probably without a blink. The catch is, they don't want to go to every door, every day. There are days when the postman stops at every door.

So, there are deals made between the USPS and the others to deliver in exchange for cargo space on planes, etc.

One day, it will all be gone. Perhaps the USPS will just end up delivering for the others. Who knows. I just hope they last another 15 years.

1. Dog bites
  2. Extreme weather
  3. Leg and foot problems
  4. Back problems
  5. Hand and arm injuries
  6. Violence
  7. Upset customers
  8. Steps

Read it for yourself: http://www.nalc-branch78.org/pdf/articles/The_Hazards_of_Door_to_Door_Mail_Delivery.pdf

Get the fuck out of here, they are glorified paper boys.

Get the fuck out of here, they are glorified paper boys.

It's always easy to say that of a job that you've never done. I know enough about the job that I wouldn't want to do it. Expectations of management and how carriers are treated is enough to make the job undesirable. The internet is full of stories about postal management and how employees are treated.

I also know enough about supervision to not go into it unless my health becomes such that I can no longer do the job I do now. I'm often asked to think about it but I refer to their office as a snake pit where they are always stabbing each other in the back.

Some jobs are not worth the money.

1. Dog bites
  2. Extreme weather
  3. Leg and foot problems
  4. Back problems
  5. Hand and arm injuries
  6. Violence
  7. Upset customers
  8. Steps

Pizza delivery faces most of those too...and gets shit wages. Being a mailman isn't rocket surgery or a skilled trade.

They're overpaid, because anyone can do it.

Not all jobs pay well because they're a pain in the ass. Septic tank cleaners and auto salvage monkeys would make big bucks if that was the case. Most times a job is worth what someone else will take your job for, and no more. In the case of postal workers, they have an artificial pay structure based on union and civil service entry, and it does not adequately reflect the value of their employees.

• Upvote 1