Daytona Bike Week/200 March 14, 2013

redkow97

(mods, move and edit this out if you think this belongs somewhere else - i thought the appeal was wide enough to stick it in daily ride)

Wife wants a vacation. I am not working. Bar exam is over on 2/28. The timing works out for me.

Who has gone before, and who would consider it this year?

I wouldn't spend the whole week in Daytona, but I would like to watch the actual races.

Anything "must-see?" Anything I should explicitly avoid? Any tips for parking near the mayhem without having to deal with miserable traffic? We'll be in a rental car, or my daily driver (depending on what air fare looks like).

We've gone twice. Stayed in St. Augustine once and Orlando the other time. St. Augustine is the oldest city in the US or something like that. About a 45 minute drive. I think Orlando was an hour but there's TONS of stuff to do there.

I don't care for the current state of the AMA so I can't comment on that but even in the stands, viewing the race isn't the best. The Supercross race on the other hand was fantastic.

Lots of loud Harley's and seriously questionable clothing but it did sure make for some interesting people watching.

Mary

I was there in '93.

scan0098.jpg

Not a bad time if you don't actually want to do anything as far as motorcycling goes. It was a zoo back then and I doubt if it's gotten any better since.

Spent a night in the city lockup 'appropriating' this from over Main Street.

scan0096.jpg

Remember, ATGATT all the time!

scan0099.jpg

scan0090.jpg

Spend some time relaxing on the beach.

scan0094.jpg

scan0083.jpg

Take a quiet ride around on some of the deserted rural back roads.

scan0077.jpg

scan0072.jpg

...and for Christ sake, try to fit in with the locals....

scan0085.jpg

scan0086.jpg

Like I said, seriously questionable clothing.

Last time we went was 2009 and it was not that crowded. We only went on Superbike race day so maybe it was just an off day.

The only must see thing for us in Daytona is Hooters. Now that they don't have them up on Cleveland anymore, we seek them out in other states and yes, I realize I am weird.

My husband and I used to own a SeaDoo rental business off the back dock of Hooters back in the flats heydays and we got very acclimated to the food. :)

Mary

(mods, move and edit this out if you think this belongs somewhere else - i thought the appeal was wide enough to stick it in daily ride)

Wife wants a vacation. I am not working. Bar exam is over on 2/28. The timing works out for me.

Who has gone before, and who would consider it this year?

I wouldn't spend the whole week in Daytona, but I would like to watch the actual races.

Anything "must-see?" Anything I should explicitly avoid? Any tips for parking near the mayhem without having to deal with miserable traffic? We'll be in a rental car, or my daily driver (depending on what air fare looks like).

Go to Daytona International Speedway for a shopping day. In front of the speedway is a huge motorcycle flea market (for lack of a better word) of all the manufacturers and many aftermarket suppliers. The manufacturers all offer demo rides and the aftermarket stuff is all on sale. It's worth taking a morning and walking through every tent. They've also always got cool displays like this one from Yamaha several years ago:

img090_zps7e5f611e.jpg

img091_zps84fb77a6.jpg

If you want to see the road racing I recommend you go to the speedway for two days. You'll want to watch the 200 from the grandstands. The other day you'll want to go to the infield. There you can go into the garage area and see everything up close and personal. You'll see all the race teams and some things you otherwise would never see.

Like these:

img860_zpse7922125.jpg

img856_zps254e645d.jpg

img042_zps4accb0a9.jpg

img742.jpg

Edited by 2fat2fly

If you're into the sportbike night life you'll want to hit the Hess station between the speedway and the interstate (I haven't been to bikeweek since 04 so this may have changed). Usually after 10pm that place is packed to the point where you're hard pressed to get another bike in there. Back in the day this was where alot of big money, not-quite-legal drag racers were set up. Some of the Prostar heavy hitters used to head there after the Gainesville Prostar race to make money.

Daytona Municipal Stadium hosts the AMA Flat Track races. If you've never been I recommend you go at least once. It's cool to watch the flat trackers race there.

I always stayed at a hotel within 3 blocks of main street. I did this so I could park the bike at the hotel and walk if I was gonna go drinking. I have never had any interest in how I would do on a sobriety test....

As for getting around, there are times when it will be a parking lot. I-92 (International Speedway Blvd), Sea Breeze and Main Street when you're trying to get to the beach from the Speedway. Use Bellevue Avenue (It runs by Embry Riddle Aeronautical University) to get to the beach. It is much less travelled and most people don't know about it. Take it from the Speedway to South Beach Street and turn onto Silver Beach Avenue. This will get you out to the Beach on the South side of Main Street. Mapquest it. You'll be glad you did.

Nathan - if we end up making it down, I'll hit you up for some t-shirts ;-)

After talking to a few people:

- wife wants me to have a job lined up before we drop a grand on a vacation, so that's the big "if" right now.

- Daytona 200 is probably out. I'm being told that the first 10 laps are awesome, but the rest of the race is pretty boring, and the TV coverage of the pit-stops and such makes it better to watch from the hotel than the grand stands.

- I will definitely try to make it for the supercross and one of the superbike races

- we'll probably stay in Orlando, and drive into Daytona when necessary. I'm not looking to experience bike week, I just want to see some racing at the speedway.

Daytona 200 is probably out. I'm being told that the first 10 laps are awesome, but the rest of the race is pretty boring, and the TV coverage of the pit-stops and such makes it better to watch from the hotel than the grand stands.

Is there even going to BE any TV coverage of the Daytona 200 this year? Or any other AMA Superbike races? Situation looks grim at the moment, unless I've missed some recent news.

- we'll probably stay in Orlando, and drive into Daytona when necessary. I'm not looking to experience bike week, I just want to see some racing at the speedway.

Good move, if your main interest is racing. It's as easy to get to the Speedway from Orlando as it is from Main Street in Daytona. And you don't have to go all the way to Orlando. Plenty of hotels at all price points north of Orlando along I-4, like Altamonte Springs if you want to be close to attractions in Orlando or even further north if you want to split the difference between Orlando and Daytona.

Unfortunately in the worst decision ever they put them at opposite ends of the week.

good looking out. I'll have to plan accordingly. If I'm going to drive 15 hours down to Florida, we'll be spending at least 5 days there, so that may not be a problem.

I'd probably keep my options open for both, and then attend one or the other based on weather conditions. Superbike would be my preference though. I really need to plan on getting back to Mid-Ohio this year.

I was there in '93.

scan0098.jpg

Not a bad time if you don't actually want to do anything as far as motorcycling goes. It was a zoo back then and I doubt if it's gotten any better since.

Spent a night in the city lockup 'appropriating' this from over Main Street.

scan0096.jpg

Remember, ATGATT all the time!

scan0099.jpg

scan0090.jpg

Spend some time relaxing on the beach.

scan0094.jpg

scan0083.jpg

Take a quiet ride around on some of the deserted rural back roads.

scan0077.jpg

scan0072.jpg

...and for Christ sake, try to fit in with the locals....

scan0085.jpg

scan0086.jpg

nice kz's & I

like the ass's:D

I pit crewed on a team back in 2010 and had a great time. Granted I had a lot more to do since I was behind the scenes getting ready for the races so I was pretty busy.

The photos above look like what we had to drive through to get to the track. I was there for the race so the zoo didn't interest me much. The only cute girls were working merch tables at the track, otherwise it was lots of saggy rough skin walking around.

nice kz's & I

like the ass's:D

Yup. Buddy's was a KZ650. Mine was a '73 Z1 900 that I'd done a complete strip down to the frame and redo. Not a restoration 'cause even back then OEM parts were hard to find and stupid expensive. Wish I still had that one... :cry: