Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

My '07 zx14 was supposedly "factory rated" @ 208mph but there was no way in hell I'd ever hit 208mph not even on a perfect day.... not sure where they got that number from because Brock's had to make several mods just to break 200mph

And if you changed your gearing, you changed the speedo reading.

Not trying to pick a fight. I actually owned a 95 FZR 1000. Just pointing out that you weren't going as fast as your thought.

Still, it's fast enough to die pretty quickly if you make a mistake.

My '07 zx14 was supposedly "factory rated" @ 208mph but there was no way in hell I'd ever hit 208mph not even on a perfect day.... not sure where they got that number from because Brock's had to make several mods just to break 200mph

My speedo was able to go up to 195 if I remember right. It never would have done that either. Never took the time to ask the cop how fast I was going. :cool:

This ^

You would have to be going downhill in a straight line and weight about 50 lbs soaking wet to hit most manufacturers top speed claims.

I like to joke about Harley's sucking, but I AM joking.

There are a lot of legitimate gripes to make about them when compared to other makes, but HD's marketing department has done a good job of making people not care. I think that's silly, but it's not my call, nor my problem.

I do think people should back off ripping on Harley's if they haven't actually ridden one, let alone owned one.

I haven't owned one. I've ridden Harleys on a handful of occasions, but never for any extended period of time. It's not my thing. But the Yamahar Raider I rode wasn't my thing either. 1800cc's, and it was BARELY faster (in a straight line) than the EX500 I rode to the demo event. It braked like shit (heavier, but still only a single disk up front), handled like the wheelbase was 9 feet (it was probably close to that...), and I just am not a foot-forward controls guy.

I like that HD is made in the USA, and that the XR1200 series is close racing. That's about all I really feel strongly about with harleys. The rest is just jokes.

• Upvote 1

With those Ape Hangers it wouldn't take much speed to start worrying lol

It's not the speed that gets ya, it's the bumps. The wobble is horrible when you hit. Speed seems to be okay. I regularly ride the highway around 80... might be 70 if my speedo still lies.... :rolleyes:

I just bought an M109R. One of my best friends rides a Harley so I turned the keys over to him a few hours ago and we hit 90. One of the first things he said was 'I hit 130 and it didnt wobble'.

I guess I did t realize HD was marketing wobble as a selling point.

I like to joke about Harley's sucking, but I AM joking.

There are a lot of legitimate gripes to make about them when compared to other makes, but HD's marketing department has done a good job of making people not care. I think that's silly, but it's not my call, nor my problem.

I do think people should back off ripping on Harley's if they haven't actually ridden one, let alone owned one.

I haven't owned one. I've ridden Harleys on a handful of occasions, but never for any extended period of time. It's not my thing. But the Yamahar Raider I rode wasn't my thing either. 1800cc's, and it was BARELY faster (in a straight line) than the EX500 I rode to the demo event. It braked like shit (heavier, but still only a single disk up front), handled like the wheelbase was 9 feet (it was probably close to that...), and I just am not a foot-forward controls guy.

I like that HD is made in the USA, and that the XR1200 series is close racing. That's about all I really feel strongly about with harleys. The rest is just jokes.

Are you sure you rode a Raider? It definitely isn't a sport bike, but it does pretty good for a 700# bike. 12 second 1/4 mile aint bad for a pig of a bike. Single disk up front? Must have modded for that.

Come on you can do better than that. Any bike will do that if a wheel weight comes off. But I understand You guys just can’t help yourself can you LOL

I’ve been riding a long time so let me stir the pot here and make a prediction. 20 to 25 years from now 60 to 65% of the sport bike members on this forum will no longer be riding for any number of reasons of the members that still ride I would bet more than 50% of you will own a Harley.

I hope I’m still around to say it but just in case I TOLD YOU SO :lol:

I’ve been riding a long time so let me stir the pot here and make a prediction. 20 to 25 years from now 60 to 65% of the sport bike members on this forum will no longer be riding for any number of reasons of the members that still ride I would bet more than 50% of you will own a Harley.

I hope I’m still around to say it but just in case I TOLD YOU SO :lol:

Why a Harley? Why not 'something more comfortable' or 'insert different cruiser here'? Just curious.

I'll probably never own another supersport' date=' but I'll always be on something Japanese or European. Americans don't build anything that interests me. The Ulysses was cool, but that fantasy was smashed. Harley doesn't want to sell quality sport bikes. They'd rather cram their showrooms with "American bikes" built from Chinese parts, or, as of late, they're all about stocking shitbox Taiwanese/Chinese alternatives.

[b']They missed the opportunity to have my dollars when they closed the books on Buell. That was the only interesting motorcycle they had in their deck. The rest are cookie-cutter, over-priced, over-weight cruisers. Now, they're damn nice cruisers, but "slow and go" just ain't my scene.

THIS. HD doesn't offer anything but an image. I refuse to pay 2013 prices for 1980's technology. The Buell debacle was the last straw in my mind. If you want a Harley..have at it. To each his own. I prefer to spend my money on a bike based on something other than image. Again, if Joe Blow wants to spend his money to 'belong' to a certain group, more power to him.

I hear you on time changing minds. There was a time when I loved riding my GSX-R and my 748. Those days are long behind me' date=' now. :)[/quote']

This is what I was getting at. It's a preference thing...not a 'I wanna ride a Harley now' thing. I just bought a cruiser (M109R) because I love riding, but I refuse to ride the Ninja for recreation any more. My joints can't deal with it on a daily basis. So preferences change...but don't assume that because a preference changes...HD is the defacto destination.

In 20 to 25 years I'll be 75 or 80. Can't say what I'll be riding but it won't be anything with forward pegs & tassels on the handlebars. I've got a friend that still rides at 88 years old. He's got a couple BMWs.

So you are in your mid 50s think back when you were in your 20s how many of the people that you road with back then still ride my guess is not many. I was referring to the riders that are in their 20s things happen in life Marriage home kids and almost always the first thing to go is the bike. I managed to hold on to my 77 KZ 1000 all these years but mostly ride the Harley now. Of the 17 friends I use to ride with back then only 3 of us still ride 1 rides a Harley 1 a Gold Wing Iam wondering what brand of bike is the first pick for riders that are getting back in to riding after 30 years of being out of it. Iam just having a little fun here stirring the pot.

Edited by HeavyDuty

So you are in your mid 50s think back when you were in your 20s how many of the people that you road with back then still ride my guess is not many. I was referring to the riders that are in their 20s things happen in life Marriage home kids and almost always the first thing to go is the bike. I managed to hold on to my 77 KZ 1000 all these years but mostly ride the Harley now. Of the 17 friends I use to ride with back then only 3 of us still ride 1 rides a Harley 1 a Gold Wing Iam wondering what brand of bike is the first pick for riders that are getting back in to riding after 30 years of being out of it. Iam just having a little fun here stirring the pot.

VFR - but I was only 25 years off bike.