Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

I enjoy cruising back roads with the wind in my face, jamming to music, but that's only a small part of the riding I do... I can do that on my bike, it's quite capable and quite comfortable for that purpose. Now when I want to get up and go somewhere in a hurry, I can flip my face shield down, snap the shifter a few times crack the throttle and snap up through the gears...

I can enter a corner carrying a fair amount of speed and not have to worry about dragging hard parts at apex. I can take it to a track day and spend a couple hours railing it through corners as fast as I dare, or even hop on it and travel across the country on a whim. I've taken it out on adventure rides where most of the roads were unpaved, and crossed a huge mud puddle to reach the northeast corner of the state. It does all those things, and anything I've ever needed it to do.

That's the reason harleys never really appealed to me, they are limited to a small minority of the actual riding I enjoy. I don't find them particularly comfortable, particularly nimble, or particularly powerful. They make noise that some people like, but so does the stereo on my bike.They are fine if all the riding you want to do is limited to cruising relatively slow down roads that are generally paved and dry, but there are so many other bikes that can do that and much more. If "look at me" is your thing and you want lots of people to see you sitting on a lot of chrome and nostalgia, then harleys are great. If you're actually looking for the best ride for the money, then harleys probably aren't it.

I see your point- thats why most HD guys who ride have mulitple bikes. I did until last month- sold my speed triple. On the hunt again!

There isn't a Harley on the planet that will perform that way I want a bike to perform, except for a Buell Uly. I've ridden modern Harleys. They're very nice and if I were to buy a cruiser, HD would be on my list of brands to entertain. The likelihood of me buying a cruiser is damn near zero. The few I have ridden, I've ridden the way I like to ride, and dragging exhaust and foot rests all over god's creation isn't my idea of "the right tool for the job".

That's why I ride the ugliest bike ever made. Anything I get from here is an upgrade in styling. Even if it's a BMW. ( :eek: )

I agree- my bike has olhins in the back and Racetech up front and my underside stil  looks like a cheese grader. - the point is you were comparing a high end sport adventure platform bike to a 800+ lb sled as if they were part of the same disipline, they are not - my posts are to replies I read over this year old post were in defense of sigle sided arguments. I don't disagree with any point any of you made about HD inability- but dude its a cruiser-

Not all of them go putt-putt-putt and have fringe and flags.

I have shown many of poser squid with chicken strips  a wheel mid corner, just as you have pasted many of parade groups holding up traffic,  blocking you mid apex . Each their own, we just  look at it from different angles. - BTW nothing wrong with BMW's!

J_T

Welcome to the forum now there are at least 4 of us HD owners on the site. Don't let these guys scare you off no matter what you hear they are all just a little too adventurous for a harley, and some day most of them will grow old and buy an old mans bike. Once you get past the Harley razzing you will see they are all a pretty good bunch of guys and to be truthful I think none of them really care what anyone rides

As far as reliability goes I have owned 3 Harleys since 1995 and averaged over 50 thousand miles on each and the only problem I have had was with rear spokes on one of them but not a single other problem with any of them so the reliability talk is all BS your bike is only as reliable as you let it be.

Again Welcome Rick.

FIFY... lol

Ohlins on a Harley kinds of seems like putting lipstick on a pig, or tits on a bull.

But if you like it then good for you.

I agree, it doesn't seem particularly helpful.  lipstick and tits not withstanding, A more fitting analogy might be a bicycle with Z rated tires, you're never going to pedal fast enough to need the tires to handle 100+ mph, and youre not likely to flog a harley hard enough to notice the suspension upgrade.

This thread reminds me of the time...

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horspower and deep pockets, I had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of another of America's best bikes.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle...
  • Upvote 1

Don't let these guys scare you off no matter what you hear they are all just a little jealous and some day most of them will grow up and buy a real mans bike.

I can't wait until MJ and TallTracy grow up so they can get a real man's bike too.

And whomever said the HD XR1200 class was "entertaining, but slow" (or something to that effect) needs to look at the lap times.  I am quite confident that only a handful of the most skilled riders on this forum can match the XR1200 lap times at Mid-Ohio on their modern supersport 600, or hell, even on a 1000.

And whomever said the HD XR1200 class was "entertaining, but slow" (or something to that effect) needs to look at the lap times.  I am quite confident that only a handful of the most skilled riders on this forum can match the XR1200 lap times at Mid-Ohio on their modern supersport 600, or hell, even on a 1000.

The riders in that class are top notch, but you should read their comments on the XR1200.  The ones I have seen are not complimentary.

After watching those same riders in the other classes, the XR1200 class looks like it's in slow motion.

Also, the XR1200s don't always run the same course.  It's usually shortened, so the lap times may be misleading.

Sorry Pokey, but they look just like "other bikes" made by "another" brand. Tech aside , which I said was better on some bikes, a bolt is a dead ringer for a sportster (and was the target says yamaha) , and a stratoline is a street glide or cross country any day of the week. The raider is a strech to call a softail, but some could make the argument. Can't beat them, so join them seems to fit, making the big 4 dumb down their bikes to gain sales .It's not my fault , its just the way it is.  

Not a lifestyle guy pokey, I too am a rider, not a biker.  thats why I joined here. I am in the process of adding a sport tourer to my stable. Just not one to let other peoples views make me agree with nonsense. This is a sport based forum so I didint think I would gain much support. Just trying to help see there is more to HD than bandanas, beer and chaps. I read your other post- Vstrom guys keep there stuff for ever! resale doesnt matter to you !

Never said "you" were a lifestyle rider kind of guy, sorry if I came across that way. Open face helmet huh, guess that would explain the wind in my face comment. :) This is my 2nd V-Strom and had an 05 previously, just love the damn bikes. 2TallTims C14 is my previous bike, we made a swap last year and are both happy as can be. The C14 is a bad ass bike "owned one for 4 years", but it is a hand full for most of how and where I love to ride. On the slab it will get you into trouble, it is smooth as glass and is laughing and taunting you at 100 MPH. I find the ADV style of bikes to be my kind of machine, they are all about versatility and a major smile factor. You fully have my appreciation for whatever you ride, and there are not many motorcycles that I honestly do not like, I just would never own them. Star and Victory's offerings are far from dumbed down Harley clones, many ex Harley riders are owners of them now, and I am sure for various reasons. My dream bike is probably the latest 1200GS Adventure from BMW, but I am a Strom owner and I am cheap. ;) The stereotyping that many Harley owners have is well deserved, that is why it is called stereotyping........statistics and blatantly obvious. Glad you are not a poser or a lifestyle guy, you will no doubt be a great addition to the forum.  :riding:

Edited by Pokey

Ohlins on a Harley kinds of seems like putting lipstick on a pig, or tits on a bull.

But if you like it then good for you.

I like that reply! They were the best shock for the money that would hold my 245lbs without being hard as a rock. Lots of guys out them on the touring rigs to gain ride height and drop the horrible factory oil over air shocks. Don't worry their not chrome!

Never said "you" were a lifestyle rider kind of guy, sorry if I came across that way. Open face helmet huh, guess that would explain the wind in my face comment. :) This is my 2nd V-Strom and had an 05 previously, just love the damn bikes. 2TallTims C14 is my previous bike, we made a swap last year and are both happy as can be. The C14 is a bad ass bike "owned one for 4 years", but it is a hand full for most of how and where I love to ride. On the slab it will get you into trouble, it is smooth as glass and is laughing and taunting you at 100 MPH. I find the ADV style of bikes to be my kind of machine, they are all about versatility and a major smile factor. You fully have my appreciation for whatever you ride, and there are not many motorcycles that I honestly do not like, I just would never own them. Star and Victory's offerings are far from dumbed down Harley clones, many ex Harley riders are owners of them now, and I am sure for various reasons. My dream bike is probably the latest 1200GS Adventure from BMW, but I am a Strom owner and I am cheap. ;) The stereotyping that many Harley owners have is well deserved, that is why it is called stereotyping........statistics and blatantly obvious. Glad you are not a poser or a lifestyle guy, you will no doubt be a great addition to the forum.  :riding:

Sweet pokey , thanks . I never rode a DL 1000 but have had the mill in my 03 SV 1000-love that motor. Surprised you don't want the new Vstrom. The BMW is great but you pay for it! Thanks for the advice on the Connie- I demoed on in Vegas last fall and decided I needed one. Fits me well and the wife seemed ok on it.

I agree, it doesn't seem particularly helpful.  lipstick and tits not withstanding, A more fitting analogy might be a bicycle with Z rated tires, you're never going to pedal fast enough to need the tires to handle 100+ mph, and youre not likely to flog a harley hard enough to notice the suspension upgrade.

Not the case Duane , ride height is gained as well as composure at speed. Your from Bula so this season I will me you half way in lake county , and let you blow mine down 307 . Then you can tell me how this bike ain't bad for a big pig. The new frame and tire sizes introduced in 09 really helped the touring class HD's - better legs on that big girl really help her out. Haven't found any other makes in the cruiser world with a stock set up even come close . -the new moto guzzi is close but I don't fit on it. Stock to stock the Victory wins hands down over any HD but we are not talking stock !

My wife rides her own bike. If she didn't, we wouldn't be married. I don't own a bike to ride bitches around.

Your lucky, my " bitch" wanted nothing to do with the bandit 400 I bought her a few years back . Just not her bag . I sure hope I meet you this season on a ride , I'm sure we could find something to talk about . I work in Hiram so I'm sure I can find the only guy in Ravenna on a multi-strata .

Not the case Duane , ride height is gained as well as composure at speed. Your from Bula so this season I will me you half way in lake county , and let you blow mine down 307 . Then you can tell me how this bike ain't bad for a big pig. The new frame and tire sizes introduced in 09 really helped the touring class HD's - better legs on that big girl really help her out. Haven't found any other makes in the cruiser world with a stock set up even come close . -the new moto guzzi is close but I don't fit on it. Stock to stock the Victory wins hands down over any HD but we are not talking stock !

i won't turn down a joyride on any bike, look forward to meeting you...
  • Upvote 1

Sweet pokey , thanks . I never rode a DL 1000 but have had the mill in my 03 SV 1000-love that motor. Surprised you don't want the new Vstrom. The BMW is great but you pay for it! Thanks for the advice on the Connie- I demoed on in Vegas last fall and decided I needed one. Fits me well and the wife seemed ok on it.

Oh I am liking what I am seeing "allot" concerning the new 1000 V2, it is just that I like my well equipped 06 so damn much. I tend to have this thing about only keeping a bike for 4 years, and that new V2 is for sure whispering bad things to me. The latest 1200GS is so bad ass and that new water cooled boxer is amazing, they are not unreliable bikes at all, just that there are certain things you need to stay up and aware on. I have ridden a ton of different Hogs by the way, enjoyed every one of them for what they were. Rented a heritage soft tail classic several years ago out in Vegas "was a nice machine", and that was a very enjoyable 8 hours of incredible scenic riding.

I don't compare any other make to Harley because, like you said, there's no comparison.   Other makes are selling the same, or better, bikes for far less.   Although the lifestyle membership isn't part of the deal with other makes, I can't see how HD justifies tacking on 4-6k for that name plate.   

As for HD being the target since the late 90's??   Nah, HD has been the target here since the inception of the big 4 and the American market place for motorcycles....period. 

I don't discount the fact that HD has something for the industry, but to say EVERY other make out there has bandwagoned behind them is blatanly untrue.   The ONLY thing HD has done in comparison to all others is that they haven't changed much at all with the trends ( to a point ) and did stick to their guns with their styling.   I also appreciate the AMA XR1200 class. It's fun to watch, albeit a bit slow, it's still impressive for the weightclass......after some substantial upgrading of course :D

Not sure I meant to discount all brands helmutt, just the start line . The price difference is closer too . $21,000 for their touring rig is getting real close to a Electra glide and the bolt is $9200. That's more than a 883 iron. The stratoliner is $16800 and a road king is 19,899- things are getting closer. He'll I bought my roadie because it was cheaper than the cross country and vision from polaris. There are $25-35,000 HD units but the base models are lower. Sorry if I implied other makes are inferior . They just need to do their own thing like triumph , Ducati and guzzi have. Otherwise they will always be tagged as " just likes" . They have other options but they know what sells.

Oh I am liking what I am seeing "allot" concerning the new 1000 V2, it is just that I like my well equipped 06 so damn much. I tend to have this thing about only keeping a bike for 4 years, and that new V2 is for sure whispering bad things to me. The latest 1200GS is so bad ass and that new water cooled boxer is amazing, they are not unreliable bikes at all, just that there are certain things you need to stay up and aware on. I have ridden a ton of different Hogs by the way, enjoyed every one of them for what they were. Rented a heritage soft tail classic several years ago out in Vegas "was a nice machine", and that was a very enjoyable 8 hours of incredible scenic riding.

I sat on the v2 at the bike show - got yelled at for going up on the riser to do it! Felt great- very KTM like. Before the Connie I was really considering the adventure class bikes, love the tiger 1050 and the strom . The new tigers are nice too but I will go down to one bike if I buy the Connie . It can do it all- slap, tour, sport ect. Good luck on your hunt for the BMW, like those too- wanted a gt 1300 but can't see giving what they ask for a 7 yr old model. I guess you get what you pay for.

i won't turn down a joyride on any bike, look forward to meeting you...

Not a lot of black birds around - are you a Thompson drag raceway guy? I think I already know you. That's like 12 min. From my house. I spent a lot of Wednesday Nights there in my years!

I enjoyed the strom but it didn't thrill me, but I was 100% street on it cause that's the only thing I ride, and that's not what those bikes are built for. But the Connie is everything I've ever wanted in a bike for my size and my riding style. So now I look to ride every chance I possibly can.

• Upvote 1

The riders in that class are top notch, but you should read their comments on the XR1200. The ones I have seen are not complimentary.

After watching those same riders in the other classes, the XR1200 class looks like it's in slow motion.

Also, the XR1200s don't always run the same course. It's usually shortened, so the lap times may be misleading.

They have run the same configuration at mid Ohio both times I've been there for AMA rounds.

I wasn't defending the bikes so much as pointing how how capable a bad bike can be in the right hands. It is anything but slow. If anything, the fact that they're dragging pegs and chattering the front en in every turn makes it look faster than it is.

They have run the same configuration at mid Ohio both times I've been there for AMA rounds.

I wasn't defending the bikes so much as pointing how how capable a bad bike can be in the right hands. It is anything but slow. If anything, the fact that they're dragging pegs and chattering the front en in every turn makes it look faster than it is.

Yeah, I've seen them run at MidO too. And my statement was in comparison to the DSB and SBK class machines. I never implied they were minutes apart on lap times , or the riders were hacks, or the bikes were shit and incompetent, or I could outride any of them, or anything of the sort. Purely about physics. Heavier is obviously gonna be slower, but comparably upgraded they still perform for what they are.