Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

Ok, I agree, definitely get what you want, especially if you've always wanted one and have the money. I am not a hater at all, I just really like my bike. And please, if you get one, try not to be that Harley snob that is ever so popular. We all ride because we love it. Good luck, and thank you for your service!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No vest or bandana. It really doesn’t matter what anyone rides to me we are all out there for the same reason I would ride with any of you. As far as the haters go the only ones I have run in to are always the squirrely kids that have not learned respect for the road Harley or Metric

That's hilarious.

The haters I have met are all middle aged and old guys draped in brand new leather with HD stamped all over them who all started on Japanese machinery years ago and now look at any non HD bike as if its a piece of shit.

These are the same guys who only do poker runs from bar to bar or ride from one HD dealer to another collecting t shirts. We call these individuals posers and we all laugh at them.

Edited by max power

I've got a Harley. I bought it because I've wanted one for a long time. I found it on CL for only slightly more than what I had recently sold my metric cruiser. I've enjoyed nearly every minute of ownership of my Sporty. The thing is dead simple, the aftermarket is HUGE, and if I'm out on the road somewhere, there are few occasions in which a dealer or at least half competent shop is more than 75 miles away. When I found it, I was specifically looking for a Sportster 883 that had a 1200 or 1250 conversion, and it just happened that the guy I bought from did a lot of other supporting mods too. Frankly, I couldn't duplicate the mods on another bike for what I paid for this one already done. I like to ride it, and at the end of the day, isn't that what really matters?

Ok, I agree, definitely get what you want, especially if you've always wanted one and have the money. I am not a hater at all, I just really like my bike. And please, if you get one, try not to be that Harley snob that is ever so popular. We all ride because we love it. Good luck, and thank you for your service!

You mean the kind that even though your bike is better built, faster, has less maintenance is better in the twisties. And thinks you’re just jealous of his bike but still feels sorry for you because you don’t ride a Harley? Ive been riding for over 40 years and I hate to say it but every Harley owner I’ve talked to feels this way even though they may not admit it to you. And that is the reason Harleys are the most sought after bike in the world. None of the performance stuff matters except between other Harley owners. As long as Harleys are on the road that will never change. If you like to work on your bike Harley is the way to go every part on a Harley has at least 100 different styles so you will never run out of ways to change the look and style of your bike.

Edited by HeavyDuty

I've been riding now for over 42 years and getting on motorcycle forums & websites maybe the last dozen or so. Most of my friends ride Harleys and I respect their choice. No doubt the most popular brand cruiser there is. I have never owned or even ridden a Harley Davidson and that doesn't bother me, but I don't bash their bikes. I have seen this dead horse subject kicked to death on many forums only to anger the participants. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to stir the trouble pot. Buy what you want, ride and enjoy it. It's your money and your time.

I've been riding now for over 42 years and getting on motorcycle forums & websites maybe the last dozen or so. Most of my friends ride Harleys and I respect their choice. No doubt the most popular brand cruiser there is. I have never owned or even ridden a Harley Davidson and that doesn't bother me, but I don't bash their bikes. I have seen this dead horse subject kicked to death on many forums only to anger the participants. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to stir the trouble pot. Buy what you want, ride and enjoy it. It's your money and your time.

Victory > Harley

Victory > Harley
Couldn't find a single model that I liked. They all have rather odd details which seemed to be incorporated just to differentiate them from an HD. IMO. I do however love the look of the engines.;) Edited by Kritz

I see you're only 10 miles away.;)

If you like to work on your bike Harley is the way to go every part on a Harley has at least 100 different styles so you will never run out of ways to change the look and style of your bike.

You may be surprised at the amount of aftermarket items for metrics these days. There isn't much that you can do to a Harley that you can't do to any other bike anymore.

In response to Kritz, yes Fostoria is only 10 miles or so on Route 12 but I usually go the back way on Route 613 to County Road 18. That's also the quickest way to American Powersports where I bought my Victory last September. It might be 3 or 4 miles more going that way.

I own both types of bikes so I hear it from both sides but 99.99 % of the time it’s all in fun. And you’re right it is just beating a dead horse

That's hilarious.

The haters I have met are all middle aged and old guys draped in brand new leather with HD stamped all over them who all started on Japanese machinery years ago and now look at any non HD bike as if its a piece of shit.

These are the same guys who only do poker runs from bar to bar or ride from one HD dealer to another collecting t shirts. We call these individuals posers and we all laugh at them.

To set the record straight I do not own anything leather that has Harley on it only because it a waste of money. I do have a few Harley shirts they were all bought for me as gifts. I have never been on a poker run I just do not trust other bikers around me that I have not ridden with in small groups to many weekend warriors ride in them and the most important thing is I never Drink and Ride thats just nature’s way of weeding out the stupid. If I do have a taste for a beer I drink something like O’Douls .

Edited by HeavyDuty

To set the record straight I do not own anything leather that has Harley on it only because it a waste of money. I do have a few Harley shirts they were all bought for me as gifts. I have never been on a poker run I just do not trust other bikers around me that I have not ridden with in small groups to many weekend warriors ride in them and the most important thing is I never Drink and Ride thats just nature’s way of weeding out the stupid. If I do have a taste for a beer I drink something like O’Douls .

I said haters. You must be the exception. Not all HD riders act like drunken douchebag pirates, just most of them. That's why they have the reputation of being drunken douchebag pirates and why awful shows like Sons of Anarchy are so popular. The majority ride so they can pretend they are ass kicking bikers.

You may be surprised at the amount of aftermarket items for metrics these days. There isn't much that you can do to a Harley that you can't do to any other bike anymore.
But can you dress up Fido at the local Honda dealer?:p

harleydog.jpg

I've owned both sport bikes and Harley. Back when I would ride sport bikes, I could never imagine owning a Harley and used to laugh at them for spending so much on an overpriced/slow bike. Once I switched, I couldn't believe I ever felt that way. Only problem I really have with it is the price of parts. HD parts are so extremely overpriced and I personally feel like Kuryakyn parts look like shit.

Bikes in order were:

'89 Kawasaki Ninja 600R

'94 Suzuki Katana 600

'95 Yamaha FZR 1000

'05 Harley Road King

I think a lot of it has to do with mind set. Only thing I don't like about riding with sport bikes has been tons of lane splitting, wheelies, etc. I'm not into all of that. Most that have sport bikes are into it one way or another. I also think that's part of why I left sport bikes and went to cruisers in the first place. I wasn't into when I owned them. Worst I ever did was a lot of speeding, including running from the cops on several occasions. One of the last ones came on because of my buddy riding wheelies down the highway. He took off and I followed, had me pegged in the 170's (I think 174mph). I got away, my buddy got caught. That was close to the time I switched.

I still like the looks and still think they're neat, but have no desire to go back to them.

I don't think a '95 fzr 1000 would even hit 170 you have to take into account that speedos are off

Factory was rated at 'top speed of over 167 mph'. Not saying it isn't possible that a speedo is a little off on any vehicle, but if stock was suggesting over 167, with upgrades I can't see 174 as being unfathomable. All I know is I was going faster than the cop and the gauge read 174 and it took a few miles to get there.