Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

A pirate costume is a ridiculous outfit to go play 1960s biker when you get off work.  People wear them because they (incorrectly) think it makes them look cool.  But how else are you supposed to let people know that you rode nearly 800 miles last summer unless every-fucking-thing-you-own-has-a-HD-logo-on-it???

A power ranger suit is a riciulous outfit that could actually save your skin.  I don't know anyone that wears one because they think it makes them look cool. 

NO the big difference is the power rangers know they are going to crash and the cruiser groups do everything they can not to I did a search of crashes by bike category here is what I came up with.

Insurance Stats

Cruise.5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles

Touring.6.5 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles

Sport.33.2 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles

Cruise - fatalities are unlikely when you're standing next to a motorcycle, plus you have tons of safety bandanas.

Sport - squids don't usually wear power ranger suits, or much gear except for maybe a mohawk glued on a helmet. 

Seriously though, I've seen more crashed cruisers than crashed sportbikes.  I only ride with people that wear gear and I've never had someone I was riding with get injured. 

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

It would seem many of you have never heard of the Iron Rocket MC. From their FAQ:

•Who can join the Iron Rockets?
If you are male, 18 years of age, law abiding with no felony
convictions.  Have a sport bike of at least 600cc......

From their photo album:

post-10994-0-92103100-1393265288_thumb.j

The only gear I wear when I ride is a helmet, gloves, boots and a leather coat if it’s not too hot. Otherwise I’m totally naked

Wear whatever gear you like, it's your ass, Cochise.

NO the big difference is the power rangers know they are going to crash and the cruiser groups do everything they can not to I did a search of crashes by bike category here is what I came up with.

Insurance Stats

My point was that power ranger suits actually serve a functional purpose... as opposed to pirate suits.

Those are crash deaths, not crashes...

So Sport bikes are more likely to cause death in a crash per capita than cruisers, no surprise... I bet corvettes cause death during a crash way more often than minivans do as well... people make mistakes, mistakes get multiplied when high speeds are involved.

Edited by magley64

Also, for those that actually ride their bikes (whatever style floats your boat), keep on keepin' on. Good on ya' for enjoying your bike. Cruising speed isn't my bag, baby. Neither is dragging pieces of my over-priced, two-wheeled barge across the pavement at every corner.

But see how cool we look when we crash. Off the bike and still walking cool ;)

• Upvote 3

It would seem many of you have never heard of the Iron Rocket MC. From their FAQ:

•Who can join the Iron Rockets?

If you are male, 18 years of age, law abiding with no felony

convictions.  Have a sport bike of at least 600cc......

From their photo album:

Is it my poor eyesight or is the guy on the left wearing Kahki shorts? :crazy:  Kinda kills the tough biker look...

This argument is really comparing apples to oranges, Harleys can be great bikes and may be less reliable then metric bikes and are usually purchased by fat old posers however there are exceptions, they are meant to be loud and look cool. While sportbikes are usually purchased by young dumb squids who brag about performance figures they can not personally exploit also with a few exceptions, In the end who cares just ride what you like.

• Upvote 2

I do not know where you get your information from but I put 585 miles a week on my bike during the summer just back and forth to work I also ride with about 30 other HD riders from the American Legion in Ravenna And we have a pool every year the rider with the most miles at the end of the summer takes the prize the lowest miles for the group was a little over 3500 I ended up with over 9000 and still did not win. And yes we do stop at a lot of bars but we do know how to have a lot of fun. As far as safety goes we had 0 accidents last year on every one of our rides can this group say the same. On resale values I currently have a 2012 Softail Classic that is paid for I am looking at up grading to a new bike a 2014 Street glide Special for a difference of about $4500 counting upgrades Exhaust intake and supper tuner so the way I look at it I’m only paying $4500 of a brand new $22.000 bike. I like all the lame attempts at flaming HD and their riders thanks I find it funny but if you guys really want to learn how to do it right go to some of the big HD forums and do a search on something like power rangers

Group rides of how many typically, and do you honestly enjoy group rides? To me a group ride is about 4 of us MAX....and that includes me, is about as big a group that I like. The secret is "who rides with you", skill level and experience goes a long way towards safety for all. I am not happy when a group of HOGS are severely slowing me down with their parade when I am also out trying to enjoy myself "and oh the God awful noise", and I am not out averaging much above the speed limit either. You would rarely see me or any of the guys I ride with parking under a bridge or overpass during inclement weather, we just keep on trucking down the road. Of course good gear allows that, otherwise rain on sunburned skin hurts like a bitch. Sounds like you actually ride, and that is what matters regardless of what your choice of bike is.

• Upvote 1

I don't pass on the shoulder. If a parade of pirates won't allow me to pass on the left, I just split 'me right down the center. Apparently, they like their bikes more than I like mine. They move. Every time.

true story, I've seen it

• Upvote 1

Insurance Stats

don't break it down by bike type, break it down by owner profile.

Young people make bad decisions more often.  Those bad decisions likely include buying a sport bike as their first ride.  Combine that with the greater performance potential of sport bikes, and that stat is not at all surprising - it IS irrelevant when you're trying to use it as a claim to justify not wearing safety gear.

I would further add that "registered motorcycles" does not take into account how much (or how little) they are ridden.  If my 60 yr old uncle has a cruiser registered, but only rides it once a year, obviously his risk of crashing is far lower than a sportbike rider in his 20's who is commuting to work or school daily.

The day I can find a less than 5 year old, less than 10k mile Street Glide in pristine condition for less than $9000 is the day an HD will be in my stable

You can find one- but it will have a salvage title !

A pirate costume is a ridiculous outfit to go play 1960s biker when you get off work.  People wear them because they (incorrectly) think it makes them look cool.  But how else are you supposed to let people know that you rode nearly 800 miles last summer unless every-fucking-thing-you-own-has-a-HD-logo-on-it???

A power ranger suit is a riciulous outfit that could actually save your skin.  I don't know anyone that wears one because they think it makes them look cool.

Tpoppa, this why we get H-D gear. Once your family knows you have a HD it's over. Gift cards every birthday, x-mas or anniversary .

post-17529-0-63577200-1393348177_thumb.j

Resale doesn't mean much to anyone, but HD riders. I couldnt care less what my bike is worth, I plan to ride it til it falls apart. Stereotypically, HD owners ride to and from the bar, only putting 300-500 miles a year before moving to the next shiny pile of chrome.I don't mind the bikes, they are decent enough and though it's taken 60 years, they finally have a reliable powerplant. Sent while riding

Dustin you should browse eBay , Craigslist , ect. And look at the miles on most sport bikes . There is a lot more low miles sport bikes than any other type. I have been looking for a sport tourer hardcore and have noticed this daily. Other than the sport touring rides most 3-5 yr old sport bikes in the north have less than 7k on them. I average that every year. Just saying !

I have Ducati swag, but I wear it under my safety gear. That's the difference. It's cool, though. I need to laugh at something.

HD actually has a line of gear that's good, it's called the FXR line. Waterproof, reflective , and armored. Some are heated to. Made by hein Gerike ( spelling?) no different than wearing a euro brand leather, but we do. Ring a lot of heat on ourselves . The pirate shit is out of control.

• Upvote 1