Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

Certainly better than the 36HP and 46HP that the 750 Shadow and Yamaha Bolt make..I'm surprised they went with a SOHC design instead of a double. Probably a cost move. I know they plan on selling and building some these overseas.

Edited by Kritz

yeah, at $7k, they are making HD's accessible to a lot more riders.  I think it's a good marketing move. I know the purists will not like the liquid cooled engine, but it's so much more efficient...

I appreciate the simplicity of an air-cooled motor, and I understand that radiators are ugly, but they're so worth it (this from the guy with an oil-cooled bike now... :D)

What kind of oil should I pull the trigger on when I wave or don't wave to other riders while wearing my novelty, "no shroom" helmet, assfull chaps (Not assLESS), fingerless gloves, and SOA vest while simultaneously wondering if others see me as a poseur or a biker considering I don't remember where I put my gas cap at the last stop?

• Upvote 1

What kind of oil should I pull the trigger on when I wave or don't wave to other riders while wearing my novelty, "no shroom" helmet, assfull chaps (Not assLESS), fingerless gloves, and SOA vest while simultaneously wondering if others see me as a poseur or a biker considering I don't remember where I put my gas cap at the last stop?

I wave at everyone... if they look stupid I give them the "Jbot wave"

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly better than the 36HP and 46HP that the 750 Shadow and Yamaha Bolt make..I'm surprised they went with a SOHC design instead of a double. Probably a cost move. I know they plan on selling and building some these overseas.

Doesn't matter one bit. The Bolt is still a better bike. The Bolt makes far more power and torque at the speeds that most riders are going to be using 99% of the time. The 750 only has it beat at the top end and that is only in HP. The 750 needs to lose a lot of weight to be able to do anything with that low of a torque figure which is surprising since HD's are usually stump-pullers.

Haterz. Haterz, everywhere! :eek:

Were not H8TRS ... just riders that don't enjoy fisting from stealerships supplying black assless chaps and substandard overpriced vehicles.

Generally pretty good, but your comment about mods isn't really accurate imo.

I've got 20+ years on a motorcycle now, and I could easily find the cornering, and top speed limits of a stock harley.

a stock rr, or zx, probably not, but mods aren't always about raising top speed either. my mods were to give my bike capability it didn't really have as stock.

Edited by magley64

Generally pretty good, but your comment about mods isn't really accurate imo.

I've got 20+ years on a motorcycle now, and I could easily find the cornering, and top speed limits of a stock harley.

a stock rr, or zx, probably not, but mods aren't always about raising top speed either. my mods were to give my bike capability it didn't really have as stock.

I agree with the guy.... I don't know how many times I hear "I bought my first gun, I'm going to add xyz mods to it" or "what mods should I add?". Same with bikes. Change what you don't like, but when you list your mods when you sell it, please know that I don't give a fuck and think the modderer is a tool. "Power commander to squeeze out ten more HP than the 20 I never will use"...."blah blah blah....".... Comfy seat? Sure. Fender eliminator? Ok, I dig that look. Heated shit and luggage? Ok, I'll play. Other speedy chromey skully crossbones gayness? Nope. And Mohawks on helmets also gay (not in the derogatory homosexual sense, but more like you're a fag sense).

Long week. Been drinking. Cheers.

• Upvote 2

And Mohawks on helmets also gay (not in the derogatory homosexual sense, but more like you're a fag sense).

My secretary has pig tails on her helmet, they are very cool. But Mohawks are certainly gay.

Heard and experienced rider bashing some new ones and it got me to thinking. After 45 years in the saddle, if I was sitting on a barstool next to you here is what I would tell you:

1. Glad you took up riding! Changed my life way back when and hope you get a passion for it too.

2. Forget the image thing. Popular culture is kind of like music you know. From swing to twist to disco to pop to whatever the hell you kids do these days! A rider in Boot Hill Saloon on Main Street in 1975 would probably be incarcerated pretty quickly today. In the old days, if you rode a Harley in the wrong part of town, you were an automatic hoodlum. Now most Harley customers probably live in better sections of towns to be able to afford them.

3. Get great gear that lasts. It will be cheaper and more functional in the long run. A great leather jacket that will last you 40 years is worth $600. If it serves a purpose, wear it. If it doesn't, its extra gear to carry.

4. Its ok to be an idiot. We've all been there. Just learn to be safe. If you want to sit at a stop light and blip your throttle, you'll get over it eventually. Of course, these days you might get a ticket.

5. It’s not a horsepower competition. Unless you've really been taught, your ability will never come close to matching a newer bikes capability. So don't waste your money on "mods" unless something really bugs you.

6. Last, go on road trips. Longer the better. I don't mean on a trailer. Become a motorcycle enthusiast. The road is really what being a biker is about. New places, new roads, new friends. Won’t matter if they ride Bmw, Honda or Harley. People who ride for the road appreciate motorcycles regardless of the brand and will strike up friendships and share experiences.

Well said.  Its not -what- you ride, but that you ride.  I cannot stand the bashing, either way.  Riles me quickly.  I read what is said here on OR about Harley's and their riders, and I read whats said about sportsbike riders over on a Harley site I go to and it sickens me.  There are total tools both places and there I light into them defending sportbike riders.  But the difference is here the bashing continues and I believe with a many its a serious feeling but on the other site most HD riders will admit its all about just getting out and riding so, here,  I just let the bashing fly without getting involved.  Why bother? That's too bad because for those of us who just love to ride there is enough to be wary of.  All those 4 wheelers don't pick and choose who they cut off, who they fail to yield to or who they just plain disregard on the road yet the hatred some like to toss out about 'the other style' of bike is ridiculous and unnecessary, imho.

Edited by ohiomike
  • Upvote 3

I have no animosity towards harley riders themselves, I don't understand why anyone would want to limit themselves by choosing such a slow and poorly handling machine, especially for the money. But hell if it makes them happy, more power to them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1