The EPIC Ohio Group Ride

NinjaDoc

damn you! I was totally convinced in my head to avoid it then you go ahead and say this and make me reconsider my preconceived notions

Youll be fine. It's not best road in Ohio but I dont see anything wrong with it personally.

The main pro for the first route of 555 is easy to remember and the two big gas station break,

If we can come up with a route fun enuff and long enuff with a good gas station break in between will that be okay for others? , pros for that is risk reduced of crash, cons last minute change and might cause confusion

But like punk said, if no one went as far to memorize the route and stuff we still have opportunity to change

Nothing if you know how to ride.

I know how to ride plenty fine, and 555 is not a good choice most of the time. I have ridden it quite a few times, and each time I wondered why I did and was glad I didnt go down from all the shit in the corners, or run into some farm equipment or an Amish buggy.

I have memorized the route. If we stick to the plan I will adjust speed & line depending on conditions found. In light of the recent rash of crashes I would guess that we have some riders out of the 80 or so going that would not adjust their speed & line appropriately on 555. I would be ok with whatever others decide about the route.

Changing the route this late is a mistake.

Nothing wrong with 555 as long as everyone keeps a cool head.

I'm with Will on this. As long as guys don't try and be macho and pick a group they have no buissness in things will be fine. Not my favorite road but it is ridable. As a leader of the heavy group I vote no change.

i guess we are stuck in a tuff situation here, its like punk said picking the lesser evil. Need more opinion from you guys to see which way to go, either ways i guess we have to decide by tonight

Original 555 Route

Pros

- easy to remember

-already set plan

- Gas station at ideal location

-555 always a hallmark and pride of ohio riding

Cons

-road conditions and prone to mishaps

NEW Route

example below, keeping the time, start and stop the same, even distance almost similar. so only the lead and sweep basically have to be up to date with the change in route.

eg http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Logan,+OH+43138&daddr=OH-93+S+to:OH-56+E+to:39.4485168,-82.2010518+to:Burr+Oak+Blvd+to:7th+St+to:OH-669+W+to:S+Columbus+St+to:E+Hunter+St&hl=en&ll=39.65302,-81.858015&spn=0.02531,0.038495&sll=39.557729,-82.37566&sspn=0.050689,0.07699&geocode=FWNVWwIdRZEW-ynF9NkuV-5HiDHEJP6RoMMUMg%3BFaDfWAIdwrwV-w%3BFUg_WAId2B0Z-w%3BFcTvWQIdJbYZ-ylbwiZGbApIiDEMWITOdcZJlA%3BFcAhWgId-bkZ-w%3BFeEJXQIdcNke-w%3BFZ9UXgIdyxMe-w%3BFTJlXwIdhTkY-w%3BFetYWwIdspcW-w&gl=us&mra=mi&mrsp=8&sz=14&via=3&t=m&z=15

pros

-clean recently paved roads

- almost same length and fun twisty sections

Cons

-last minute plan change

-Gas stop in mcconnelsville might cause confusion

Personally i am okay with anything the majority wants, but my guess is majority would be in favor of minimizing the risk as much as possible. And hence i am leaning more towards a cleaner and newer roads as change in route can be easily learned or put into a gps.

The two choice are new route or every one making sure they ride their own comfortable slower paced ride.

Hope more people would chime in soon,

Edited by NinjaDoc

true like hail and jerry said, if people are true to themself and keep to the slow and medium group this will be perfectly be okay. And those who rode 555 route fast before stick to faster groups.

I'm with Will on this. As long as guys don't try and be macho and pick a group they have no buissness in things will be fine. Not my favorite road but it is ridable. As a leader of the heavy group I vote no change.

Heavy group? You get a new bike?

I'd rather avoid 555 with being rusty but I also know how to dial it way back if I'm nervous about the situation. I've also never been on 555 so I'm down with whatever is easiest to do. I already have the 555 route mapped and in my GPS but the new one would only take me a few mins to do to

That section of 555 is truly shit. Rode it last year end of the summer. But it's not bad enough that someone would get hurt......just bad enough that it definitely sucks to ride on it. Even the fast guys take it slow on it cause its simply shit.

FWIW, I don't mind riding on it if necessary and I don't think someone wiping out is of concern. It's just a few miles of absolutely garbage riding. Like trying to ride a bike on gravel.

Just thought I'd insert some information so whoever needs to decide, can do so.

No new bike. My Wing will be 20 years old this year. She deserves and still is a good ride. Got other plans for the Super Hawk Monday morning.

Ahhhh I never knew about the wing... Only of the super hawk

Jack Flash just went down at 20 mph or less and was his 3rd time running the route, so taking it easy when there is grit, sand, horse shit, rocks, diesel fuel, gravel.....whatever, somebody is still gonna go down regardless of experience. I vote no 555, but I will obviously stay with the group until that intersection, otherwise I will be taking another just as fun and much better pavement route. If some can't make it on gas I totally understand, but I have 5.8 gallons of whip ass that goes 200 plus if I am not being an idiot. Good luck to all and be safe no matter what happens, ride within your comfort zone and don't try to push your luck.