new rider - first bike advice

Steve Butters

OK, the gf wants to get a bike....shes looking at a 2006 ninja 500r ...1100 miles, not perfect but well maintained.... $2200.....seem like a fair deal?

would this be a good bike for her to learn and begin on? shes never rode a bike before, just been a passenger with me....i would be teaching her from the start, and she will take the MSF class in arizona asap (its $240 out there :eek:)

anybody have any opinions on these? im assuming theyre good bikes...but everyone always says to start on a 250....but it seems like a good deal to me, and i think she would get bored of the 250 pretty quickly

I learned on a 600RR... if you're worried about her going too fast, teach her to not open the throttle too much! ;)

Seriously though, I think a 600 is fine.

its a 500, not a 600....im not worried about her going too fast, she seems to have a decent head on her shoulders and i dont think she will overdue it when shes learning....but at the same time, people in AZ all drive so fast on the highways, i like the idea of a 500 better than a 250 becasue it has a little more power to help with highway speeds, and i feel like she wont outgrow it as fast as a 250

its a 500, not a 600....im not worried about her going too fast, she seems to have a decent head on her shoulders and i dont think she will overdue it when shes learning....but at the same time, people in AZ all drive so fast on the highways, i like the idea of a 500 better than a 250 becasue it has a little more power to help with highway speeds, and i feel like she wont outgrow it as fast as a 250

I think that sounds right.

Good luck to you guys! Hope she likes it :)

price didnt seem too awful? book is 3k, and he was offered 1700 on trade in....its listed at 2600, but i think 2200 is the lowest hes willing to go....maybe ill try to talk him to 2k, but its a close friend of hers, so i dont wanna beat him up too bad lol

Depends on her natural riding abilities, coordination and capacity to learn - this is true of anyone regardless of gender. Some people are natural riders and some really need to start slowly. Has she ever piloted any type of motorcycle? How about a std transmission car? I'd say a 250 would be a better starter bike but it all depends on the above.

IMO find something without a ton of plastic for less damage when she drops it. Virtually all noobs drop the bike at least once.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the dropping bike thing. I was pretty thankful that my bike wasn't pretty to start with when I got it. I was already beating myself up over the damage that i did when to it when I dropped it, I'm sure it would have been worse if it actually looked nice to start with.

Also, I would say one really important, often overlooked, thing to teach her is how to pick the bike up by herself. I was fortunate that I happened to watch a video on how to do it, then one day I f'ed up on the road (and also once in a parking lot :p) and my bike ended up on its side with nobody there to help me pick it up :) Not that you were asking for advice on what/how to teach her.

The one most important piece of information nobody has asked or mentioned is how tall is she? The Ninja 500 is a great first bike, but not if you're 4-11 and weigh 90 pounds.

ScubaCinci was asking the right questions. Does she even know how to use a clutch in a car? Or is she starting from scratch? And what's her general aptitude for such things?

If the answers to those questions are positive, then it's probably a good choice. If not, then maybe something smaller and lighter, and just stay off highways for now.

Experienced riders almost always overemphasize the "she'll get bored with it" aspect because we're thinking about ourselves, not a brand new rider. The far more common scenario is someone tries to start out with too much bike and gets intimidated or frustrated and quits riding because it's no fun to struggle.

No one wants a "cherry" 2006 EX500 with only 1100 miles...

They're all the same from 1994 on, so find a mid-to-late 90's model with higher mileage for $1500 and you won't feel nearly as bad when it falls over, nor will it depreciate as much.

My first bike was a '97 EX500, and I'd never ridden a motorcycle prior to throwing a leg over it. My daily driver was a 5 speed manual though, so I was familiar with how a clutch worked. I think that helped a lot.

The EX500 is a great bike for what it is. With a good tune and a hole drilled in the air box, they're good for a little over 50hp, and will do 115+ with stock gearing. I did plenty of trips from Cleveland to Dayton and back on mine, doing 75+ the whole way, and getting 58mpg.

I also did 5 trackdays on mine before buying my F2. The EX is still a great value for a new rider.

I'd actually consider picking up another one, but the late 90's 600's are getting to be so cheap now that I can have 40 more horsepower for the same money.

I never got ambitious to really do much in-depth work on my EX, but some things to consider if you're one who likes to DIY:

Pros:

- it's a pretty reliable engine. There were some transmission issues on the pre 1994 models that were corrected in the update.

- mileage is pretty decent, although not as good as you might expect in mixed riding. Figure on mid-40's. Although as noted, I did get 58 on longer trips.

- Center stand makes most routine maintenance easier.

Cons:

- No external preload adjustment. You have to pop the bars off, compress the caps, and then remove the circlamps (which I found to be very irritating). Preload is adjusted by putting in longer PVC spacers.

- No rev limiter. The bike just loses timing above 11,000 RPM or so. Don't go there.

- Tire options are limited. It's a 110 front and a 130 rear. You can fit up to a 150 rear without rubbing the chain. The second gen has 17" wheels, which helps. Avoid the first gen with 16" wheels.

- Ugly. 90's styling ain't for me. That said, I have seen some cool street-fighter EX500's

- the speedometer cable likes to vibrate loose and can get destroyed by the front wheel. (comes undone under the gauges, not at the base) Put some loctite on that yourself!

No one wants a "cherry" 2006 EX500 with only 1100 miles...

They're all the same from 1994 on, so find a mid-to-late 90's model with higher mileage for $1500 and you won't feel nearly as bad when it falls over, nor will it depreciate as much.

My first bike was a '97 EX500, and I'd never ridden a motorcycle prior to throwing a leg over it. My daily driver was a 5 speed manual though, so I was familiar with how a clutch worked. I think that helped a lot.

The EX500 is a great bike for what it is. With a good tune and a hole drilled in the air box, they're good for a little over 50hp, and will do 115+ with stock gearing. I did plenty of trips from Cleveland to Dayton and back on mine, doing 75+ the whole way, and getting 58mpg.

I also did 5 trackdays on mine before buying my F2. The EX is still a great value for a new rider.

I'd actually consider picking up another one, but the late 90's 600's are getting to be so cheap now that I can have 40 more horsepower for the same money.

My first bike was a Bandit 600. I don't think it was "too much" for a beginners bike at all and I'm guessing it's pretty similar to the EX500.

I'd never used a manual transmission anything before deciding to get a bike. My brother in law had me learn on his dirt bike, just how to shift, then my other brother in law let me take his GSF500 to a parking lot and get familiar with it there.

I actually got my first manual car about 3-3.5 month ago, and I have to say, learning manual on a bike was easier for me. I find it a lot easier to manipulate the clutch with you hand instead of you foot, especially if a car has a light clutch. I think going from a car to a bike would probably be easier.

I have to say, learning manual on a bike was easier for me. I find it a lot easier to manipulate the clutch with you hand instead of your foot

QFT.

I also had a bike before a manual car. If a 250 is out of the options, and a 600 is too much, I'd vote 650. Or a dual sport, that can take some abuse. Happy hunting! And remember, she has to like it to ride it. It'll be her new purse.

• 1 month later...

Bump... Now that we're settled and have a car, she's interested again... If this job goes through that she's applying for, she can probably afford something a bit nicer

Any opinions on a new cbr500r? She's learning to drive a manual transmission car right now and pretty good on it.. And I took her around the neighborhood at low speed (helmets off so it's easy to communicate) and explained some basic handling such as pressing in the direction you want to go etc... I'd hate to see her drop a new bike, but I think the 500 would be a great bike for her... I hear it's only got like 47hp too, which I like lol