For you cheap backpackers/campers

speedytriple

Ok so I know there are a few on here who like to backpack/camp. And I don't mean the camping in a 30 foot trailer type of camping. For those of you who tent camp/backpack and need to carry a light weight fast camp stove. I found this little idea on a blog somewhere and have been making them since. It is a teracycle stove. It is made of reused metal cans and cardboard that is soaked in paraffin wax It works very well and boils water very quick. It is also almost free to make them. Once you have some used cans(i use tuna cans for the fuel cells, and a bigger bean can for the stove) Get some corrugated cardboard, some paraffin wax, a old school can opener with the point to punch triangle holes in the cans. Make a double boiler, I use a old can so it is easy to keep unused wax for later use. Melt the wax, while you are waiting for the wax to melt cut strips of cardboard the height of the can roll them tightly and fill the tuna can with it. Char the top of the rolled up cardboard a little, it makes it easier to light later. When the wax melts pour it over the cardboard, soak it evenly until it is just under the lip of the can. Next punch air hole around the side of the bigger can, I did eight one on each side. Next punch holes on the top of the can to let heat come up. You light the fuel can then set the bigger can over the fuel can for a instant stove. For around a dollar in wax and some reused household items it makes a great cheapo stove for backpacking. Some pics of the process and stove lit.

Wax I used:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17534

Can with rolled cardboard charred a little then filled with wax:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17536

Bigger can with holes in top to release heat:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17535

Fuel can lit:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17537

Bigger can set over the fuel can ready to use for heating:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17538

You can store two fuel cans in the stove and that should last for a weekend hike or more. I have burned one can for over 1 1/2 hours and it still was burning but almost out. I keep one of these in a zip lock bag with some water proof matches.

Edited by speedytriple
  • Upvote 1

I run a WhisperLite Universal Hybrid Stove.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/simple-cooking/whisperlite-universal/product

The hybrid-fuel WhisperLite Universal stove delivers the ease and simmering capabilities of canister fuel, and switches easily over to liquid fuels for longer trips, cold-weather, and international use. Our patent-pending AirControl™ technology is what really makes it unique, delivering outstanding performance with all compatible fuels. It’s also the lightest stove in its class, offering excellent stability and easy maintenance, adding to the reasons this could be the only stove you’ll ever need.

Hybrid-Fuel Performance: Patent pending AirControl™ technology creates the optimal fuel/air mix for top-notch performance with canister fuel, white gas, kerosene and unleaded gasoline.

Canister Liquid Feed: Delivers better cold weather and low-fuel performance with a more consistent output over the life of each canister. Canister stand Included.

Lightweight: Aluminum mixer tube, extra-stable stainless steel legs and refined design keep weight to a minimum.

Easy Transitions: Liquid and canister fuel couplers pair with fuel-specific jets for quick and easy transitions.

Field Maintainable: Self-cleaning Shaker Jet™ technology and redesigned leg assembly facilitate fast cleaning and even easier maintenance in the field.

Includes: Fuel pump, windscreen, heat reflector, small-parts kit, instructions, and stuff sack. (Fuel bottle not included)

Those are nice and all, BUT $139 is steep. As mine cost $.25 to make and work just as well, and pack just as small if not smaller if I cut the can down some. Yes there are excellent products out there you can buy for lots of money. There are also alternatives out there that can be made for next to nothing..Oh and not that I think it will happen, BUT if the end of the world as we know it happens what is easier to find paper/wax or a msr fuel canister? Gas/kero?

Edited by speedytriple

Do you think it would work to use old candles instead of the paraffin?

I have a bunch of candles that the wife didn't want or didn't use after buying them and they were shuffled to the garage for storage.

For backpacking, it often comes down to the total amount of weight for the trip or event.

There are a couple of website charts that compare all of the parameters. I found one, but I remember the other specifically compared the home-made paraffin stoves as well. Maybe I found one of those as well. Total weights carried for 3 to 7 day camping trips tend to favor the small gas stoves.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Efficiency.htm

http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

I use a Snow Peak similar to Flounder, and also a Coleman white gas/unleaded fuel stove that is about the same size. That's for with the bike, since there's a source of fuel.

Your other considerations should be performance at cold temperatures, and performance in a wind. Making a small wind screen is a good idea, as well as a small rack to hold the pans and pots. Which probably wouldn't be needed on the home-made tall can.

I would assume that candles would work? Try it and let us know how it does. The paraffin stove has a good wind cover with the outer can over the fuel cell. I have not tested one in cold weather yet. I plan to take a couple to deer camp this year and test them out when I am tent camping. I have had issues with my coleman propane stove in the cold at deer camp not wanting to work well. The bottles tent to freeze up and not flow enough gas. Not saying this will be my main source for cooking at camp this year but it will be tested out for sure. The camp fire still will be the main source of cooking heat.

Those are nice and all, BUT $139 is steep. As mine cost $.25 to make and work just as well, and pack just as small if not smaller if I cut the can down some. Yes there are excellent products out there you can buy for lots of money. There are also alternatives out there that can be made for next to nothing..Oh and not that I think it will happen, BUT if the end of the world as we know it happens what is easier to find paper/wax or a msr fuel canister? Gas/kero?

And if I ever need to resort to that, Im sure there will be plenty of cans, cardboard, and wax around. Until then, there is no way in hell your little can will boil water as fast as a regular cam stove. Just saying. They are cool and all and I have made them as well but when Im camping/hunting, I want something quick.

Do you think it would work to use old candles instead of the paraffin?

I have a bunch of candles that the wife didn't want or didn't use after buying them and they were shuffled to the garage for storage.

Old candles would work well. Just don't let any perfumed smoke

from the candle get into your food or it might taste like it smells.

I made me a pop can stove. 1 oz. plus 3 oz of alcohol per day.

?di=12134921729916

?di=1134921729814

This is very cool.

...an old school can opener with the point to punch triangle holes in the cans.

Bigger can set over the fuel can ready to use for heating:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17538

A few holes punched around the lower rim of the larger

can may improve air flow, a bit.

The old school can opener that makes holes like that is know as

a churchkey.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7tTecp21TCBq0lOPMN9t49R6Bfx0VSOdxtHTtHJghNRQhN7m6sg

And if I ever need to resort to that, Im sure there will be plenty of cans, cardboard, and wax around. Until then, there is no way in hell your little can will boil water as fast as a regular cam stove. Just saying. They are cool and all and I have made them as well but when Im camping/hunting, I want something quick.

With out a doubt your right. But these are super cheap to make, they will store well also. I'm not gonna replace a camp stove with these for everyday use while hunting or camping. But it's nice to have a bunch around as back ups.

Old candles would work well. Just don't let any perfumed smoke

from the candle get into your food or it might taste like it smells .

That's actually what I was thinking, I'm betting that most of the ones on hand were for the smelly factor when they were bought.