What Is The Grippiest Tires For A Cbr1000rr?

OhioBob

Hi, I am looking at getting new tires while the end of season tire sales are going on and wondering what to try next. Currently, I have Michelin PP2CT on my 2006 CBR1000RR that have about 1,300 miles on them. I don't ride in the rain or on wet roads. I am not planning any track days at the moment but still want the stickiest tires for country twisty back roads. I don't care about longevity (mileage). I just want grip for my 2006 CBR1000RR. What would you recommend? Dunlop Q2's? Dunlop Q3's? Michelin PP3's? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

OhioBob

If you just want pure grip with no thought of longevity or practicality, get yourself some racing slicks, and a set of warmers and stands (front and back) to carry around with you so every time you go ripping up the back roads, dragging elbows and knees, you'll know that you're on the stickiest shit in the whole wide woooooorld

Seriously though, you can get a set of Pirelli slicks that don't need warmers, and are supposed to wear pretty well and are presumably very sticky. I don't remember what they're called though. Not to be confused with actual racing slicks.

red stripe/superbike pro? dont think u can run them legally on the street....I've heard they don't have the same traction as DOT's.

I love q2's.....if it wasn't for racing and wanting to get the most out of each session I'd still have them on my track bike.

DOT race tires are called that because they are technically street legal.

That said, they will harden up after enough heat cycles, and they don't offer full grip unless/until they're up to temp.

That is why street tires are designed the way they are... They're INTENDED as a compromise between all out performance, longevity, and practicality. In real-world riding, you're almost never going to GET tires up to racing temp, let alone keep them there.

Stick with the pilot powers if that's what you like. Just drop your pressures to 30/30 if you're going out for a ride you know is going to be "spirited."

Dude!  We need more background to this story!!!  I gotta know!!!!!

As I understand it, some cruiser riders will duct tape their tires to increase longevity on worn tires (sort of a redneck retread).

Either in a pinch on a trip, or just to delay buying new tires.

As I understand it, some cruiser riders will duct tape their tires to increase longevity on worn tires (sort of a redneck retread).

Either in a pinch on a trip, or just to delay buying new tires.

would this be the biker bar Harley guys who ride and drink with no helmet also?

34/36 max if you ask me

I might start off even as low as 30/30, but I'd agree that is a good "max" cold pressure for harder riding.  Less pressure means more flexing, and thus more heat in the tire.  hard acceleration and hard braking cause the tire to flex (weaving like an F1 driver does NOT.  That shit pisses me off on the warmup lap of races...)

That's the problem with street riding though - you can't escape stretches of road where you are held to a constant speed.   That will always allow your tires to cool down.  On a race track, you are either accelerating or braking at all times.  That's what keeps the tires warm. Changes of speed and direction (often at the same time).