whats the deal with central ohio motorcycle dealers?

Hoblick

i have tried, tried, tried to give my business to central ohio dealers but they just absolutely will not work with customers.

when i bought my multistrada, motohio didnt want to budge on price, i called northern ohio and got the price i wanted OTD over the phone within 10 min.

when i bought my new hypermotard SP, same situation, i called motohio to see if they wanted my business, again they wouldnt budge off retail.  called northern ohio ducati and within 10 min I'm at the OTD price i was wanting.

now i look at a 2nd bike, and Marysville honda and iron pony both have the exact same bike.  go to  marysville first, and no go.. they have even had the bike for 527 days.  and they wont budge.

iron pony, not even close to what i wanted to pay for the bike

i call a place in michigan, and again over the phone they agree to my OTD price.

what gives?

Central Ohio Dealers need to be competitive or they are gonna run themselves out of business.

When I bought my 2011 vstrom Ohio Motorcycle refused to budge off the MSRP telling me that the indian ocean tsunami had made them rare.  They offered me $50 off a jacket if I bought the bike BUT wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars for dealer prep on top of MSRP, then tax etc..  MSRP 7299.  Their OTD price was about $8300-ish if I remember right.

I knew I could get out the door for $7300 if I went to nerthern ohio for it.  On the off-chance I could get a deal I went to ASK on the east side.  Flat out said "If you can get me OTD for 7299 then I'll pay cash right now.  They took it.  Done deal.  All I paid was was 7299 plus the cost of the 30-day tag.

The bike had been there for 527 days?  At what point is it no longer a "new" bike?  It's like storing a car - the tires/seals rubber components all age even when it is not being ridden.

lol honda marysville... the same place that was selling a 10 year old F4i with like 30K on it for $7000 or something retarded this summer....

that right there should be a clear sign to stay far far away from that place forever.

Edited by John

I stopped by Thiels Wheels three months ago when I was shopping for a Speed Triple. I was told by a buddy that they had a new 2011 that I could probably get cheap. They were were firm on the 12k+ MSRP! WTF!? Fuck those guys. I went and bought a used 2011 with 2k miles for $8500...

lol honda marysville... the same place that was selling a 10 year old F4i with like 30K on it for $7000 or something retarded this summer....

that right there should be a clear sign to stay far far away from that place forever.

My stop in Honda Marysville last month was similarly lol'sy.

Brought some tires in to get mounted and pick up a few OEM parts. Im greeted by Johnny Necktatoo and a couple of other people emplyed by the service department, if their work shirts were to be believed. By greeted I mean ignored while I stare at them for the better part of a minute.

"Sup."

"I brought some tires I need mounted/balanced."

"Ok bring them in."

So I roll up my sleeves, put on some gloves and carry in said tires one at a time with my 6-month-old daughter in my free hand while the honda marysville service department continues their convo. Thanks for the help bros!

While Im walking around the show room waiting I wasnt acknowledged by any salespeople. Which was actually nice, but doesnt seem like a great way to make money...

Parts guy got the job done, and seeing my daughter lets me know he's trying to get visitation rights to see his. Cool story, working on father of the year, and we're just 2 peas in a pod!

The whole place just had a skeazy vibe. If this is the public-facing side of Honda, friggin HONDA, no wonder the motorcycle industry is dying in the US.

Sorry for the threadjack Hoblick, just felt like venting.

You can add John Hinderer to the list of Central Ohio dealers that suck. I came back to buy an overstock VTX 1800 that I had looked at the day before. They claimed to have "mismarked" the price. I took it off the bike, and showed it to the sales rep, and told them it had been on there at least a week. They begrudgingly sold me the bike at that price with dealer prep fees added on. The more frustrating thing was they kept making errors on accessory purchases.

You can add John Hinderer to the list of Central Ohio dealers that suck. I came back to buy an overstock VTX 1800 that I had looked at the day before. They claimed to have "mismarked" the price. I took it off the bike, and showed it to the sales rep, and told them it had been on there at least a week. They begrudgingly sold me the bike at that price with dealer prep fees added on. The more frustrating thing was they kept making errors on accessory purchases.

if I'm not mistaken the manufacutures forbid dealerships from charging prep fees because it's part of the deal to sell their bikes.

I know for a fact that's the situation for Yamaha as told by a salesman of all people

Edited by serpentracer

dac you talking to me?  this place is in toledo selling a 2013 R6 for $8599  says they have 2 in stock.  I'm finding it very hard not to go get it.

A couple people mentioning "northern Ohio" and that is the one I've seen on Cycle Trader with some pretty good pricing. I'm looking at picking up a CB11 this spring and was wondering.

what are you trying to buy?

I have had so many horrible experiences in mcy shops and even biycle shops that when I find one I like, I support it. I am always amazed how i can walk into a shop, show interest in a particular bike and walk out without even so much as a, " hi, how are you doing" or starting up a convo. I guess, they get burnt out with every tire kicker sucking up their websurfing or counter girl flirting time.

I am a huge fan of Commonwealth in Lousville. A bit of a jaunt but worth the trip. KTM, MV, Suzuki, Triumph, Ducati all supported - give them a call if you are interested in one of those brands.

Motohio- been there ready to buy, but as stated... Won't move off of MSRP. Tried with a 2yo leftover Rocket III and again with a 696.

Ask- bought my FZ6 there.... Bait and switch, shitty assembly of the bike... Crooked bolts, scratched, etc...

Hinderer- bunch of dick-bag 17 year olds. Really turned me off from even considering a Honda.

Iron Pony... Very satisfied. Deal was easy, came way down from sticker, courteous, easy/low financing.... Very likely to buy there again.

My purchase from Ask on the east side was really easy.  They had to wait for the next bike fro the distributor and told me it would be a couple of weeks.  Right on cue the bike arrived, the color I wanted.  They helped me load it up on my trailer.  Doesn't get any easier.

my Experience with Ask was good.  i delt with Sandy at the grove city store.  i will shop there again if need be.

but i was looking at a used bike.  and just so happens iron pony, and marysville honda both had the exact same bike, milage, year, color etc.   but like i stated neither wanted to deal.  so i took my business michigan.  will be picking the bike up saturday.

i would have bought from private owner, but couldnt find one for sale from a private owner.

I always wonder if there types of threads ever open any eyes? I mean we have sponsers on here that this applies to and I'm sure word of mouth gets around and other places of these types will read these post. Do they really care that they are loosing our business and taking our money elsewhere, or are they just thinking FU I don't need you? We here on OR have to represent the A typical customer for these types of places and honestly I feel their business practices are doing nothing but pushing us away. Im not naming names but there are places in the heart of C-bus that many of us have complained about the customer service or their over inflamed prices but nothing seems to ever get addressed. I don't like sending my money out of town or out of state but when it comes to saving my bottom dollar you be your ass I will. Im in no way a heavy hitter when it comes to purchasing things but in just the last 18 months I bet ive dropped $2500 in (bike)gear, tires, parts, and accessories and 98% of that was out of state or internet business because our local brick and mortar stores prices are non competitive. And I would gladly pay a little more for the local convenience but im not going to take it up the tail pipe either.

• Upvote 2