More government intervention, mandatory back up cams?

chevysoldier

Not a fan of the back up cams, especially when they're on the radio display.  That adds another place to look when backing up.  They're also installed at weird angle (for aesthetics) that makes it tougher to judge distances.  When they're in the rear view mirror, at least that's somewhere that you should already be looking anyway.  

The parking sensors that come on a lot of vehicles do a pretty good job of letting you know that something is behind you.

I'm really tired of being told what I can and can't do in so many aspects of my own life.

http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Will-back-up-cameras-soon-be-required-White-House-to-decide/1715-560809-2209.aspx

I don't have the same "I wanna do anything I wanna do" thing that a lot of guys here have - to me it comes down to scale, cause and effect. I don't see how 100 deaths/yr would be worth the billions of dollars it would cost to mandate backup cameras when there are far larger causes of death that could more effectively benefit from the same spend.

• Upvote 1

Whoopty doo.... Mandate something that is already becoming a standard in the market...

If this comes to fruition it will be for manufacturers, not individuals... A camera and a screen will add a whopping $50 to that new car you just spent $18,000 to $75,000 dollars on... Who cares?

what a waste. If you can't back up they you shouldn't be allowed to drive. Now, for delivery vans and other vehicles that have obstructed views, I can see the advantage.

Rather have a no tolerance for imparied drivers law in that if they get you once, loss of liscense for a year. If they catch you twice, no driving for life.

Whoopty doo.... Mandate something that is already becoming a standard in the market...

If this comes to fruition it will be for manufacturers, not individuals... A camera and a screen will add a whopping $50 to that new car you just spent $18,000 to $75,000 dollars on... Who cares?

It will cost the manufacturer $50, maybe.  They're going to add several hundred dollars to the price of the vehicle for it though.  Of course they need to recoup the engineering and design costs as well.

It will cost the manufacturer $50, maybe. They're going to add several hundred dollars to the price of the vehicle for it though. Of course they need to recoup the engineering and design costs as well.

No, that's retail price for one of these units... after engineering, components, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and profits...

Edited by magley64

No, that's retail price for one of these units... after engineering, components, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and profits...

That's why the dealer cost price on last one I changed was a LOT more than that for just the camera...  I'm thinking it was around $200.

I love it when new tech comes out for cars and all the sheep flock to the dealerships because they feel the just have to have it. Then that floods the used market with nice trade ins for people like me that will never ever buy a brand new car because of the depreciation. As far as being mandatory, yes it's BS but I think it would be standard equipment eventually anyways.

• Upvote 1

Pardon me, but whatever happened to walking around/behind your vehicle first, to check for obstructions?

Has the entire world gone clueless? Or just lazy?

Or are we simply "entitled" to just jump into a "deadly device" and drive away?

• Upvote 3

That's why the dealer cost price on last one I changed was a LOT more than that for just the camera... I'm thinking it was around $200.

That's fine if you want to spend that much, but there are already several on the market sub $50 so it can be done...

That's fine if you want to spend that much, but there are already several on the market sub $50 so it can be done...

So, if a customer has a $60,000 suburban and the rear camera goes out, they should just replace it with a $50 add on system?  I'll try that one the next time.  :nono:

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FACTORY INSTALLED, NOT ADD-ON!

This topic seems dumb, my 09 Tacoma has it. When u back up to a trailer it makes it a 1 man operation with out getting out to check, easy as hell. Mine is in the review mirror. I mean who cares.........before ya know it there gonna be on every newer vehicle before ya know it. Chevy doesn't you're tundra have one?? I don't see the big deal really I like having mine for the little stuff haha and no I'm not lazy.

So, if a customer has a $60,000 suburban and the rear camera goes out, they should just replace it with a $50 add on system? I'll try that one the next time. :nono:

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FACTORY INSTALLED, NOT ADD-ON!

No, what I'm saying is that the technology is cheap... it doesn't have to cost the factory that much to make one. If it becomes mandatory, they can get it done for $50.

But even if it is $200, that's a drop in the bucket on a new car...

Edited by magley64

This topic seems dumb, my 09 Tacoma has it. When u back up to a trailer it makes it a 1 man operation with out getting out to check, easy as hell. Mine is in the review mirror. I mean who cares.........before ya know it there gonna be on every newer vehicle before ya know it. Chevy doesn't you're tundra have one?? I don't see the big deal really I like having mine for the little stuff haha and no I'm not lazy.

No actually mine doesn't but I'm looking into getting one, it's wired from the factory for it.

I'm not saying I don't want one and they aren't helpful especially for trailers, my problem is we are being mandated for every stinking thing anymore. I'm tired of the government "looking out for my best interests"

• Upvote 1

Why not let the consumer decide if they want it or not? I won't own another motorcycle without ABS, but I dont think it should be mandated on all motorcycles.

I feel the same about obamacare. But we don't know what's best for us, good thing we have big government to tell us how to do everything and keep us safe :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

Mandating coverage is the exact same thing, Duane.

no, it isn't, because if you go to a car dealer, they don't have to sell you a vehicle...or if you already have a vehicle... repair your water pump

if you walk into an emergency room with a life threatening injury, they HAVE to treat you...

I'm not pleased about the situation either, but i'm not going to pretend it's the same thing when it clearly is not.

Edited by magley64

Wait..so are backup cameras and radar disabled during the license exam? It seems as though this would reward the 'tarded with a license having demonstrated less skill than I did to pass the same test. Shouldn't testing be getting more difficult instead of easier?