What will you next bike be?

Tpoppa

I sat on the new Monster today. It is a nice but I couldn't buy one unless I budgeted for new rear sets right off the bat. The stock rear sets have castings to support the pillion pegs & these castings occupy the space that should be allotted to my size 12 heels. I couldn't ride the bike unless I lift my heels abnormally high or sit in a very pigeon toed position. This is a shame because I really liked the longish reach to the wide bars & the published engine torque figures. Looking forward to the bike show. I'm not a serious buyer yet but that could change.

Probably a relatively cheap $1500-2500 600 or 750 for the track and a trailer to go with it. Down the road, probably a sport tourer like an FJR-1300, Concours 14, Triumph Trophy, BMW R12000 RT, etc, but I'm not anticipating that for at least a good 2-5+ years, pretty happy with the 919 as a street bike still.

I don't... know..!

In all seriousness, probably another liter-engined sport-standard, or a sport-tourer.

There is a ZZR-1200C at a local dealership that I've been meaning to check out again, and I've been seeing a few Triumph Trophy 1200s pop up from time to time. 

I'm in a quandary--- advice appreciated.

I'm between:

2008 Suzuki S83 (Intruder 1400), 88 miles, up in Michigan. $3980. I'd have to go pick it up. It's at a dealership so I'd likely have to haggle them down on extra fees, etc. 

But, yeah -- 88 miles. I don't think it was ever titled. And it's exactly the way I'd customize it -- drag bars, sissy bar removal, stainless brake lines.

2005 Yamaha FZ1 -- 18000 miles, $3500.00 about 3 towns south of me. Still below blue book, but it's a private sale and I've been burned on those before. Little hesitant.

Advice?

I'm in a quandary--- advice appreciated.

I'm between:

2008 Suzuki S83 (Intruder 1400), 88 miles, up in Michigan. $3980. I'd have to go pick it up. It's at a dealership so I'd likely have to haggle them down on extra fees, etc.

But, yeah -- 88 miles. I don't think it was ever titled. And it's exactly the way I'd customize it -- drag bars, sissy bar removal, stainless brake lines.

2005 Yamaha FZ1 -- 18000 miles, $3500.00 about 3 towns south of me. Still below blue book, but it's a private sale and I've been burned on those before. Little hesitant.

Advice?

What kind of riding do you do most is what will answer this ?

What kind of riding do you do most is what will answer this ?

Well. In the summer, I commute most days, run short errands. Cruise around. Not many twisties where I live.

I'd also be doing trips with my dad at some point, which wouldn't be much farther away than upstate New York. The capacity to carry at least a weekend's clothing would be ideal -- pretty sure both bikes could handle what I had to throw at it.

So, we'll say around-town for the most part, with intermittent moderate length trips to visit family in other towns and states.

I believe they are. But it would make the perfect track bike. Not to slow in the straight and fast in the corners.

This is the bike you describe. This is the 390 but if KTM would do the same with their 690, it would be a winner. There was some dude up at Grattan on a 690 Duke making peeps look silly.

KTM-RC-390-2014.jpg

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'd buy the FZ1 without a second thought over the Suzuki. It's more versatile and capable. You can do anything on the FZ that the Suzuki can, and not the other way around.

That's my personal opinion. I don't have an unbiased opinion. The FZ has that cruiser beat in spades.

That's about what I'm thinking -- plus, cheaper... and it's been used, not sitting around a showroom for several years without being ridden.

Good call, sir.

Anything I should look for in terms of points of failure/common issues with them?

Well. In the summer, I commute most days, run short errands. Cruise around. Not many twisties where I live.

I'd also be doing trips with my dad at some point, which wouldn't be much farther away than upstate New York. The capacity to carry at least a weekend's clothing would be ideal -- pretty sure both bikes could handle what I had to throw at it.

So, we'll say around-town for the most part, with intermittent moderate length trips to visit family in other towns and states.

Although I absolutely agree with Pauly...what you would be using it for seems more crusier centric unless you're gonna use the excuse of getting the FZ1 to make it on down to SEO and the like. If you do end up with the cruiser...send me the ad on that fz1 :D