Quick ccw question

Bad324

Based on this, I would say no.

www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Condensed_Guide_to_Ohio_CCW.pdf

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

Note that you must be armed for the notification requirement to apply. Many mistakenly believe that mere possession of the license means that you must notify, but that is not true. You must also be stopped for a law enforcement purpose. Simply saying hello or engaging a police officer in a conversation, even about legal topics, does not activate the notification requirement. Being stopped for a law enforcement purpose means that there is a criminal act or investigation ongoing that you are a party to, not necessarily the perpetrator. You may simply be a potential witness or innocent bystander caught up in a crime scene. In certain circumstances, officers may also sometimes question citizens to determine if a crime has been committed. That also would be a law enforcement purpose. However, simple casual encounters with law enforcement officers do not equate to being stopped for a law enforcement purpose. But, if in doubt, you may certainly notify to be on the safe side if you so desire. Many concealed carriers notify regularly simply as what they deem a matter of courtesy, and to prevent misunderstandings.

Edited by Tpoppa

Long story short is I'll be in the presence of a county Sherrif on my company property for an hour or so. Am I required to notify that I'm carrying?

Is he there on 'official' business? Yes. Is he coming over for beers, no.

Edited by Tonik

If you interact with them, tell them. If not, you are not required to run up and tell them. 

FYI, because this comes up to me often, if you are NOT CARRYING and interact with LOE, you are NOT "REQUIRED" to inform them you have a CCL. I encourage people to inform for any interaction, other than casual conversation.

I informed him. He had no issue and even seemed surprised I mentioned it at all

I asked since I'd rather know the right thing to do instead of claim ignorance and have to deal with anymore bullshit today

• Upvote 1

I've always interpreted the rule that it is if you are being questioned/accused. I've had my car broken into and felt no obligation to say anything while giving my report in front of my house. I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

I've always interpreted the rule that it is if you are being questioned/accused. I've had my car broken into and felt no obligation to say anything while giving my report in front of my house. I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

It's not that you're wrong; anything to do with civilians with a gun and LEO, it's just best practice to err on the side of caution. 

This doesn't apply to the OP, but down here the chl is handled by the state rather than the county. There isn't a law here to notify and I never have. I've been pulled over a handful of times and Do I have my firearm on me is always one of their first three questions.

The time or two I've been going home from work and pulled over and my response was no, his immediate response was why not, then followed with lock it in the glove box, there's no reason for it not to be with you.

I've been let off with a warning each time as well. Cops down here seem to be much more tolerant and expect one to carry if the chl is present. They become quite friendly even. I was pulled over for running a red light and had been out for dinner and beer awhile back. Cop had asked if I'd been drinking and if I was carrying. To which I answered yes and no. He went ahead and did the sobriety test for official purposes and let me go on my way.

It's nice to not have to worry about notifying or if the cop is gonna be a dick about the chl or anything of the sort. It almost feels like a free pass to push the limits of the law within reason.

Sent while riding