Picked up a new bike!

bigd

So, 5 years ago a guy in my neighborhood had a garage sale..there was a 1977 Suzuki GS750 for sale for $300..didn't run. I was on the fence then, but didn't end up buying it.

It's been sitting in his driveway under a cover ever since, and everytime I pass it...it's been killing me. So, the wife organized a father's day / birthday gift of a project bike. Amazingly, changed oil / fluids, new battery, gassed it up, and after leaning on the starter for a while to pull fuel in the carbs...black smoke, and she fired up! A $275 investment, and I have a fun UJM to dick around with. Idle's a little low, still needs some other routine ignored maintenance, but very pleased. 

0614141608.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think the only "cafe-ish" thing I'll do is lose the enormous jap 70's turn signals / brake light, recover/change the seat, and lose the tail section.

Edited by bigd

You have a Ducati, a Mustang and now this? What are you trying to do hoard all the toys for yourself?

Lol.

The Mustang is an old sign. 

I replaced it with my old man Mark VIII...but, I guess it does have a cobra motor! 

Remove the rack and sell it, keep the tail, change the seat, swap out/in for some dual front disk brakes.

Yes, dump the turn signals for something more modern.

Fresh tires and fluids.  Lube cables and stuff (probably axles and bearings need it).

Get rid of points and breaker if it's got one and install fresh plugs and check all wiring.

Lighten up with a 4 to one exhaust, and probably jet up one or two. Clean carbs.

Add a cafe headlight fairing and paint all to something you like.

Consider painting or anodizing engine parts.

Don't mess with guts of engine unless necessary.

Lots of ideas here: UK Suzuki StreetFighters

Lots of pics here: Google picture search

gs7502009004.jpg

http://rigid750.tripod.com/

• Upvote 2

Remove the rack and sell it, keep the tail, change the seat, swap out/in for some dual front disk brakes.

Yes, dump the turn signals for something more modern.

Fresh tires and fluids.  Lube cables and stuff (probably axles and bearings need it).

Get rid of points and breaker if it's got one and install fresh plugs and check all wiring.

Lighten up with a 4 to one exhaust, and probably jet up one or two. Clean carbs.

Add a cafe headlight fairing and paint all to something you like.

Consider painting or anodizing engine parts.

Don't mess with guts of engine unless necessary.

Lots of ideas here: UK Suzuki StreetFighters

Lots of pics here: Google picture search

gs7502009004.jpg

http://rigid750.tripod.com/

Interesting...great call on all the maintenance stuff.  Had planned to / have now done most of that at this point. Ridiculous rack was gone shortly after the post, and I will need to figure out the seat for sure.

I'm going to troll some forums and see how much this thing will go for in bone stock condition, it's only got 17k miles on it at this point. Running really nice now actually after some better gas in there and what/not.

I'd go with Recon's suggestion. Dont flip it to make a little cash, hard find to get one that nice for THAT price. Congrats on the best DadDay/BDay gift ever, and big props to your wife for making the call on getting it for ya.....she's keeper material

• Upvote 1

I have a funky, period correct Tracy fairing I took off mine if you are interested.

See what your VIN is, this is Suzukis first 4 stroke motorcycle. Mine is 0069.

http://thegsresources.com/  ....Great model specific website, everything you need to know about your GS is there.

They tried to make a four stroke back in the fifties, but no one counts that. The GS was released in other countries in 76, but waited until 77 to bring it out in the US.

tracy2_zps66dcffdd.jpg

Edited by SCQTT
  • Upvote 1

I have a funky, period correct Tracy fairing I took off mine if you are interested.

See what your VIN is, this is Suzukis first 4 stroke motorcycle. Mine is 0069.

http://thegsresources.com/  ....Great model specific website, everything you need to know about your GS is there.

They tried to make a four stroke back in the fifties, but no one counts that. The GS was released in other countries in 76, but waited until 77 to bring it out in the US.

tracy2_zps66dcffdd.jpg

Nice! My vin is much later than that. I think I saw yours this weekend at the pony. Great looking bike. Signed up for gsresources as well. Their site is a little wonky, but I'm sure I'll find some good info there. Thanks man.

I will pass on the fairing though.

• 1 month later...

So, anyone wanna try to troubleshoot what I think might be a carb problem? 

It was running really great for a while, and still does intermittently...then all of a sudden feels like someone's choking it. It'll all of sudden have a hard time keeping idle, and need a ton more throttle to keep the same revs it had just a minute prior. 

At this point, there's almost zero throttle response...and feels like it's making 1/4 of the power it actually has. (not getting enough fuel through?) I can keep it running...but it's definitely not easy.

It has then, intermittently, jumped back out of this state, and all returns to normal all of a sudden. The only thing I know that has induced this condition was a couple days ago I twisted the throttle to the lock, and it hasn't "snapped out of it" since. 

I really have no idea what I'm doing with carburetors...any thoughts could prove very helpful. Thanks for any help you might have.

Admittedly, I haven't cleaned the carbs - I've just run some carb cleaner through it with the gas. I was hoping to avoid diving into that mess...and if it can run as "normal" without this system...has plenty of power for a bike of this age.

Typically step one is to put fresh fuel in it if you haven't already, and add a generous dose of seafoam to it to help clean out lacquer.  Also check for inline fuel filters that could be choking the supply at higher revs.  Check the temps of your pipes to make sure all are firing and sync the carbs with a manometer.  Failing all that, pull the carbs, remove the rubber parts and inspect them (replacing as necessary) and soak the metal in 50% pine sol solution overnight, then blasting them out with carb cleaner.  Reassemble and see what you get.

Check your air cleaner first. Make sure it's not clogged or has a mouse nest in it. Sounds like a lack of air to me. Running lean? Run it for a little while in a dark garage turn off the lights and see if the pipes are bright red.

Sudden loss of power? That can come back? -> running on two cylinders - electrical

two coils, right? Each runs two cylinders - one of them isn't firing for whatever reason

it will feel like a funky 25% - 50% power, but will still make it home

edit: two of the header pipes will be cold

if it is all four pipes, it's probably a fuel problem or battery or whatever

I had the spark plug wires rot off my coils, I went to NAPA and got replacements

and replaced stock coils with Blue Goose hot firing coils - don't think those are available any more

Edited by ReconRat