Riding in the RAIN!!

Strictly Street

After getting back from the UN-official, cancelled or not cancelled Epic ride.

And after pouring the water out of my boots, getting a hot shower and some dry clothes on.

I went right out and got a rain suite. Wally World, $20, fits over gear, all good.

But another thing I noticed was the rain on the face shield coming over the top and running down the inside.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

I thought maybe putting a bead of silicone sealer on the top edge of the helmet might help the shield seal better.

Or maybe it's just my cheesy Vega helmet?

Anybody else?

With my Bell helmet I seem to get the best results by closing the vents & opening the face shield about 1/16" in the rain. Different helmets, different tactics though. You may get a little sweaty in that $20 rain suit. If you plan to ride in the rain more than about once a year you might want to invest in something that is waterproof yet breathable. My (non-motorcycle specific) gear was maybe $100 from REI. When I got home yesterday I was still reasonably dry despite riding through torrential downpours. I also recommend the overmitts that Aerostitch sells. They keep my hands dry & the left one even has a squeegee built into the thumb so I can see when I get stuck behind a car or truck for a bit.

I got a few droplets in behind the visor on my Bell but only at interstate speeds, so it's likely wind pressure pushing the water past the upper visor seal. With how infrequently we wet ride, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Yes rain gear more useful than just In the rain. Chilly morning or late night ride, doubles as a wind proof layer. It even fits in a tank bag or tail bag and doesn't take up much if any room. I always have it with me.

Be leary of the cheap ones they will shred themselves quickly at highway speeds.

Close vents, I think... Weird, I've never had rain run inside. Also never gotten very wet wearing leather gear. I have a Frogg Togg motorcycle suit anyway, just in case. Wondering if the Walmart gear was motorcycle oriented.

I don't mind getting wet. I run rainx on my face shield, and a simple turn of the head from side to side every 10 to 30 seconds keeps it clear when traveling at speed. Stopping is a problem on my bike as the water runs down the plastic directly onto the exhaust pipe and creates an instant steam sauna. Fogs up the face shield, the glasses, the gauges.

Close vents, I think... Weird, I've never had rain run inside. Also never gotten very wet wearing leather gear. I have a Frogg Togg motorcycle suit anyway, just in case. Wondering if the Walmart gear was motorcycle oriented.

Yep, Frog Togg $20 FTW

I had the same problem with rain running down the inside of my fly helmet shield. I did as many already mentioned on here and opened the shield about a 16th and it did help.

I bought a set of the $20 frog togs from Meijer.  They worked well at my son's soccer games but I haven't tried them on the bike yet.  I don't know if the top will fit over my armored jacket. 

I've got some cheap Coleman ones I got from Walmart years ago for my first trip to the gap. Work well the only 2x I had to use them. There definitely better options but I don't make it a habit to ride in rain so never really needed anything better

Frogg Toggs Road Toad (the motorcycle item), yes, for a usable low cost pack it and take it along occasional solution. Dark blue, black, gray, lime green and silver, lime green and black. Some colors are hard to find. Some colors are discounted.

Pants are all black? My old set is Dark Blue for both jacket and pants. Cheapest set I could find.

Edited by ReconRat