Your criticism please

JackImpact

Looks like in a few turns you were trying to force it with a lean. Start with a good counter steer and the bike will fall into the lean on its own. I've never taken the MSF BRC, but I'm sure they cover counter steering in detail so you'll learn about it then. It all comes with practice.

As said before, head on a swivel. Defensive driving on a motorcycle will save your skin/life. Almost every-time I'm out, I prevent an accident by seeing it before it happens. Mostly at intersections or stops.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BiggAudi said:

If you get the EJK make sure to message Dobeck Performance. You can get $25 off the price of a new one since you're a member on the fz07 forums

I did! Was thinking of maybe waiting and getting them at the same time. 

38 minutes ago, max power said:

What the FZ's need is the Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator (or FCE)

order it from Ivans 

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fce.htm

apparently the FCE's are no longer available. Shame. Installed on my FZ1 and it made it a much smoother ride. 

Aint that a bitch.

What the FZ's need is the Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator (or FCE)

order it from Ivans 

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fce.htm

apparently the FCE's are no longer available. Shame. Installed on my FZ1 and it made it a much smoother ride. 

There has to be some black market ones out there. The TRE I had on my TL was home made from a guy that got pissed that a company quit making them.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

There has to be some black market ones out there. The TRE I had on my TL was home made from a guy that got pissed that a company quit making them.

I've been studying the dark arts lately and have become somewhat proficient at electronics. I may look into a way to do this. 

Dude - as a newbie rider you have to understand you must develop skills. And for the moment you have zero. Practice, practice,  practice. 

- Lose the damn cell phone, put it in your pocket. You need all your attention on your surroundings. The moment you look at your cell phone could be the moment you need ALL your focus to save your ass. 

- Look where you want to go! I notice several times in the video you fixated on something. Well guess what? The object your fixate on is the object you wlll hit.- Look thru a line in the corners. Imagine it and point the bike exactly on that line. - Look where you want to go!  

- Lastly I saw you purchased a womens jacket. I hope you are not planning to ride your GF on you bike yet. You are way far from being skill enuff to be safe two up. 

Best wishes, you have a long ways to go. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe I have no business saying anything considering I slid my bike out in a slow speed turn on Christmas day. haha I just noticed in the video that you turned wide then wrote that you thought you should have leaned more. That may or may not be true. Just keep this in mind: The LESS you lean the bike, or the less /time/ you lean the bike, the more traction it has and the faster it can go. A racer, for example, leans their body into the turn so that the bike itself can stay a little more upright. (If you consider dragging a knee more upright!)

To avoid running wide, you might just need to turn in a little later and a little quicker. Point the bike and go. If you turn early and slow, you might need to lean more and for longer. Then if you find yourself running wide, you might want to lean it even more. Trust me, you don't want a 90-degree lean angle!

It's worth practising leaning more, but also leaning less. Unless you're on a dirt bike.

I guess there are different opinions about engine braking. My little bike engine brakes hard. (Parallel twin.) Sounds cool and it can be useful on hills, but I have this saying stuck in my head: Brakes are cheap, engines are not! heh I typically slow down using brakes then downshift to match the speed. (It's probably funny seeing me mess up a throttle blip that a slipper clutch can't smooth out.)

Being in the proper gear, just in case, is a good idea!

51 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Dude - as a newbie rider you have to understand you must develop skills. And for the moment you have zero. Practice, practice,  practice. 

- Lose the damn cell phone, put it in your pocket. You need all your attention on your surroundings. The moment you look at your cell phone could be the moment you need ALL your focus to save your ass. 

- Look where you want to go! I notice several times in the video you fixated on something. Well guess what? The object your fixate on is the object you wlll hit.- Look thru a line in the corners. Imagine it and point the bike exactly on that line. - Look where you want to go!  

- Lastly I saw you purchased a womens jacket. I hope you are not planning to ride your GF on you bike yet. You are way far from being skill enuff to be safe two up. 

Best wishes, you have a long ways to go. 

I dont have any interest in someone being on the back of my bike. The jackets for her on her bike. 

Good advice in here Jack.  Glad you opted to expose yourself with the vid and in keeping an open mind so other's could help critique your riding.

And like I said, we can get together and work on some stuff 1on1 to help, but your fundamentals will truly be best learned through the MSF course.  

Your shifts should be quick and crisp, no need to rev the bike up and slide the clutch lever out once you're moving and upshifting from 1st gear.  Just a quick throttle close/open as you pull/release the clutch lever while you upshift, but in time it gets easier.  Remember what I said about developing proper muscle memory?   Will all become 2nd nature once you practice enough.  Just keep that open mind when you take the course, there may be a few bad habits that will need broken with how they're expecting you to ride.

12 hours ago, hiro said:

I guess there are different opinions about engine braking. My little bike engine brakes hard. (Parallel twin.) Sounds cool and it can be useful on hills, but I have this saying stuck in my head: Brakes are cheap, engines are not! heh I typically slow down using brakes then downshift to match the speed. (It's probably funny seeing me mess up a throttle blip that a slipper clutch can't smooth out.)

Being in the proper gear, just in case, is a good idea!

I engine brake with no issues. There are times when I don't but it's rare.

Oh, I have a parallel twin as well.

5 hours ago, snot said:

I engine brake with no issues. There are times when I don't but it's rare.

Oh, I have a parallel twin as well.

Right. My engine is engaged as I slow down using the front brake, then I downshift and engage the engine again. I just don't use the engine to do all of the braking. I might coast when getting close to a complete stop, but I always try to be in the proper gear. My bike is usually in gear, even sitting at a red light.

From what I hear, inline-4 engines don't engine brake as hard as twins. Looking forward to finding out.

Note: I'm a first-year rider talking to another noob, so if I'm wrong, let me know!

The MSF class is pretty good. I took it in May. One downside is that it's hard to get a feel for counter-steering at the lower speeds that they drill at. Just have to get out on the road and zig-zag around.

Counter-steering is weird. It mainly controls the amount of lean. It's possible to lean and not turn. The lean angle mainly keeps the bike from flopping to the outside of the turn. After you counter-steer and /relax/ on the bars, the bike "drops" into the turn and it will just keep moving in an arc.

To turn right, first the front wheel turns left. That causes the bike to lean right. As you /relax/ on the bars, the front wheel will automatically turn itself to the right. If nothing interrupts it, the bike should now keep turning to the right pretty much on its own. (Unless it slows down too much. Then it'll just fall over. heh Give it a little gas.)

Edited by hiro

1 hour ago, JackImpact said:

I have been on some twistier roads up from my house to Urbana and have gotten to feel out counter steering. 

Ah, good. Do you have any round-abouts out there? They're fun. See if you can set the lean angle once and do a 360. ^_^ One time I was going around and a woman in a car drove through. Didn't even look.

Take that bike in to a big parking lot slam three beers don't be  afraid to scratch it  Ride that thing like you stole it take the Ohio motorcycle safety course. I just took the course last year  I rode probably 100,000 miles on street bikes  without the motorcycle license gotten some trouble before I took the course it taught me discipline  course is the easiest thing you ever do

• Downvote 1

GEICO just sent me an answer about the MSF insurance discount. "In the state of Ohio, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation discount will remain on the policy indefinitely unless you are no longer assigned as a principal operator." A $50 discount for a $50 class is pretty good! I'm considering the Advanced class unless I can get to a track or a track school.

I don't want to race, but I want my skills to be beyond what I need for the street.

3 minutes ago, JackImpact said:

Do not get me started on Geico. They filled a claim as an at fault accident and I had to burrow into their assholes like a damn Dugtrio and lay eggs to get them top change it. 

I'm just saying, I thought the discount might only be good for a year. G**** has been OK for car insurance, but I'm overpaying for bike insurance. I'm looking to switch in May unless other changes we're going make lower my premium.

BTW, I did some parking lot training recently, too. Kiss the mirror and point the chin where you want to go. heh

I swapped to Allstate. Saved a bit. Pelkin wont take me because of that "At fault" accident. Once its amended I am going to switch to pekin. All state was the lowest at like 1100 a year, Pekin quoted me like 450.