YATT (Yet Another Tire Thread)

Casper

17 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'll spoon on a set of Shinkos and give you cunts a head start. 

:lol:

I just don't want to slide in the rain anymore. Scares the shit out of me, and I'm getting too old for that crap. 

10 hours ago, Casper said:

You're talking about 84 HP vs 144 HP. I don't doubt they were great for the 599, but they were scary on the ZX10. Accelerating out of a turn too quickly led to slipping. That's not my favorite feeling in the world to say the least. The Daytona has 125 HP. I don't think they'd be great on it either. I currently have Diablo Super Corsa SP's on it, and they're terrifying in the wet/cold. Phenomenal in the hot/dry though. 

Yeah, I am not a fan of the SPs. Those are what came on my 848 and I am not impressed with them. Going to swap them for Rosso Corsa IIs this season. You might like those, but not sure what your touring mileage would be. 

2 minutes ago, Casper said:

I just don't want to slide in the rain anymore. Scares the shit out of me, and I'm getting too old for that crap. 

I did that last year going down in the fall on 16.  God it sucked, first time in a long long time.  Tim about shit his pants.

4 minutes ago, Casper said:

I'd say just don't ride in the rain and problem solved but I'm well aware the rain just finds you even if its not in the forecast

:trollface:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

I'd say just don't ride in the rain and problem solved but I'm well aware the rain just finds you even if its not in the forecast

:trollface:

We're going to see just how powerful this dome of hate thing is... :)

I like my Q2's and Q3's. I came from being a 2CT guy. Dont know how I was riding on those after I switched.

I've run PR4's before but (I think because of the siping) they felt a little loose while on the edge. I dont like squirming around. But they did hold, I just never got used to the feeling after being planted with the Dunlop Qx's.

But faster guys than I have endorsed PR4's so there ya go lol. 

I need to spoon some another set of Q3's on here soon...

1 minute ago, mango_sv said:

How many rear tires can roll 10k and still have tread left? The price point is high, but offset by the life of the PR4.

I agree with you on that they are a great tire. But mileage greatly depends on the bike, rider and riding style. Ill say this with my big heavy pig planting over 150 HP at the wheel and my hard and heavy throttle riding style I will never see that kind of mileage. Now I do believe the PR4 will give me more than I'm getting now.  Now if you putt around on a 60Hp machine hell you might even see 20k  out of one. Way too many variables.

Let's be honest with ourselves. The feeling of new tires is awesome, so why wait 10k miles to get that feeling again. :) I understand they aren't cheap, but i'd rather have a better performing tire than a longer lasting tire that might not perform as well.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

but i'd rather have a better performing tire than a longer lasting tire that might not perform as well.

If you are meaning a SS tire over an ST...I would argue that at street operating temps, 97% of riders would never exceed the grip of a ST tire.  I've gotten an Angel GT to slip in a corner a couple times...and I was purposely trying do it.  It required an extreme lean angle and WOT, which probably isn't on the menu for the majority of riders.

In fact there are many cased where a modern ST tire will have more grip.  Cold weather, cold tires, wet, less than perfect road conditions, etc.   

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

If you are meaning a SS tire over an ST...I would argue that at street operating temps, 97% of riders would never exceed the grip of a ST tire.  I've gotten an Angel GT to slip in a corner a couple times...and I was purposely trying do it.  It required an extreme lean angle and WOT, which probably isn't on the menu for the majority of riders.

In fact there are many cased where a modern ST tire will have more grip.  Cold weather, cold tires, wet, less than perfect road conditions, etc.   

No, I was comparing ST to ST. SS tires are for light sport bikes/track days IMO. My heavy bike would destroy SS tires due to their not made for that kind of weight. I've chattered the rear with Angel GTs on my BMW and the FJR, but mainly due to stupidity.

• Upvote 1