A/V experts: need advice

max power

So my piece of crap LG surroundsound BluRay DVD combo took a shit on me recently. It was a cheap piece of crap that I picked up when I bought the TV and I've never been real happy with it. 

Looking for a new unit, preferably with wireless satellite speakers, that won't break the bank. Needs to sound good but does not need to blow the roof off the place.

suggestions?

If you need it now you'll pay a little more but I think I got mine for $230-$250ish when it went on sale which I've seen it do multiple times. I got mine through amazon but I'd bet if you don't have Prime you can find it cheaper elsewhere

Edited by Bad324

Just now, Tonik said:

Also remember that the suggestions so far don't include a replacement dvd/blue ray player.  But you really should separate those functions anyway.

I agree.  My only issue with that is ONE MORE FUCKING REMOTE!!!!!

sorry about the yelling and cursing  n shit. 

9 minutes ago, max power said:

sorry about the yelling and cursing  n shit. 

logitech harmony 650. $40. best thing I did when we moved. Touch one button and it turns on everything to the right input

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Also remember that the suggestions so far don't include a replacement dvd/blue ray player.  But you really should separate those functions anyway.

Bingo. Should be a separate unit and are cheap so I wouldn't even worry about that

1 minute ago, Bad324 said:

logitech harmony 650. $40. best thing I did when we moved. Touch one button and it turns on everything to the right input

Yea, even Penny on Bing Bang Theory knows about those.

I think the HTIB Onkyo receivers are considered low to mid level.Although I've had two issues with mine taking a shit, Onkyo customer service has been fantastic and fixed them for free. Sent me a box, shipping label and everything. Didn't have to spend a dime and it was only down about a week

have a denon with polk center and towers and energy surrounds and sub that's probably too big for what we use it for (had an 8" that was nice but it started crapping out).  it's ok, it's basically a soundbar more or less that i cobbled together from leftover.  downstairs theater room has a old but nice pioneer receiver with JBL everything (good or bad, i dunno. it came with the house) and a 12" sub that is more than adequate.

pain in the ass to setup the first time.  but once it's set, you barely have to touch anything, especially if your TV can turn on your HDMI connected stuff and change the settings by itself (my "decent value" vizio can).  Most of the modern stuff works together pretty seamlessly once it's setup and recognizing each other.  i would be surprised if a soundbar + sub setup sounded better than even my POS frankenstein cobble job in my living room although, to be fair, just the speakers alone would cost more than a soundbar.

56 minutes ago, max power said:

You lost me at downstairs theatre. 

Damn rich Asians!

well, it came with the house, which was built by some formerly rich (probably bankrupt now) whities.

• Upvote 2

I've got Sonos set up with a soundbar and two rear speakers. 

Good quality speakers and the sound is great. It's all I need for as little as I watch TV.

Also great because it has streaming music. And can add an infinite number of speakers throughout the house. All can be playing different things at the same time. 

Check out Sonos, pretty cool stuff with great sound quality.

18 hours ago, max power said:

18 hours ago, Bad324 said:

This is by far one of the better things you can purchase if you have alot of electronics with a remote control. I believe the 650 will work with up to 5 devices. There are some high model remotes that will do more, but you get into the $200 range at that point.
A plus for you is that you don't have to program it. It's all done through a web interface. Just pick the device you want, and pick the button you want to pair it too.
You can also set to power on more than one device at a time. So your TV, sound and blu ray come one with one button press.

Initial setup will take you roughly 30 minutes.