Tire Technology

Lawrence1

5 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Alotta wrecked bikes I see getting parted out still have contimotinos mounted.

I've seen first hand what can be done on Contimotions...it ain't the tire 

• Upvote 1

I've been on Pilot Roads for the last decade. According to their test, the cycle mags say there's even better tires out there and the PR4's don't rate as well as some of the others tested. From what I've read one area they did rate high in was the wet. I got caught in the rain a few weeks ago while scrubbing them in and they seemed  to be just as good. 

51° lean angles, sticky and if they do break loose they hook right back up, special silicas for riding in the rain, computer aided tread design, dual compounds, etc. It feels good down there!

14 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I'm on my 4th set of Angel GTs.  Never seen them cup.

I run the front at 36psi on the VFR .

Did you go A spec on your GTs?   I mounted a set last week on my 590 pound Sprint, but they're NOT the A spec.  So far so good, but I haven't really pushed corners much since I'm still feeling out how well this new-to-me bike handles.   According to Pirelli, A spec tires are more for 400kg loads ( 880 lbs ) or more.   Hoping I don't run into any handling issues, or premature wear

12 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Did you go A spec on your GTs?   I mounted a set last week on my 590 pound Sprint, but they're NOT the A spec.  So far so good, but I haven't really pushed corners much since I'm still feeling out how well this new-to-me bike handles.   According to Pirelli, A spec tires are more for 400kg loads ( 880 lbs ) or more.   Hoping I don't run into any handling issues, or premature wear

I am running an A Spec rear right now. Mounted it up a week or two ago. I really couldn't tell a difference other that maybe a stiffer sidewall. They claim it is an extra ply. My bike is 640 wet weight, so i figured I should try the A Spec.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

I am running an A Spec rear right now. Mounted it up a week or two ago. I really couldn't tell a difference other that maybe a stiffer sidewall. They claim it is an extra ply. My bike is 640 wet weight, so i figured I should try the A Spec.

My VFR12 is right around 600lbs.  I run an A spec rear and a regular front.  When I bought it it had a new set of regular GTs mounted.  

I run the A spec with 2 less psi and it feels pretty much the same to me...ymmv

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

From what I've found online, the bigger touring bike owners ( FJR, C14, K16 ) were having issues with the sidewall flex affecting handling....bike wanted to snake back and forth a bit, I guess.   So, you're FJR is definitely a candidate for the A spec if there's any truth to the complaints.

47 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

My VFR12 is right around 600lbs.  I run an A spec rear and a regular front.  When I bought it it had a new set of regular GTs mounted.

I run the A spec with 2 less psi and it feels pretty much the same to me...ymmv

My Sprint is about the same stature as your VFR then.  Did you notice any oddities in the way the bike cornered or instability in triple digits?   I've had mine to about 115 with no ill feel, but haven't tossed it around corners too hard yet.   I'm assuming I'll probably be fine since Pirelli states the only difference is the sidewall ply being heavier on the A spec, although some riders complain it does brick up the rear feel a bit

1 minute ago, Hellmutt said:

From what I've found online, the bigger touring bike owners ( FJR, C14, K16 ) were having issues with the sidewall flex affecting handling....bike wanted to snake back and forth a bit, I guess.   So, you're FJR is definitely a candidate for the A spec if there's any truth to the complaints.

My Sprint is about the same stature as your VFR then.  Did you notice any oddities in the way the bike cornered or instability in triple digits?   I've had mine to about 115 with no ill feel, but haven't tossed it around corners too hard yet.   I'm assuming I'll probably be fine since Pirelli states the only difference is the sidewall ply being heavier on the A spec, although some riders complain it does brick up the rear feel a bit

it'll do just fine

19 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

What pressures are you running in yours?   Mine are 34 cold, but I may raise it a bit since the rear profile on these are more blunt

On my lightweight CBR600RR, I ran them at 32f/35r

On the VFR12, I run higher pressure.  36f/40r (I ran the non A spec rear at 42)

• Upvote 1

I'll take them up a few pounds and see how it feels.  Depending on how hard I ride, my tires typically heat up a couple more pounds - but this bike isn't going to get ridden nearly as hard, yet it weighs 75 pounds more than my ZX14 did, so more pressure is surely eminent.

52 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Usually set them at 42 like Kawi recommends

Kaw doesn't know wtf they are talking about.  The peeps that made your tire do, near max pressure on the sidewall is where you should be. Also remember Kaw made that recommendation based on the factory tire not what you are running now.

Kaw doesn't know wtf they are talking about.  The peeps that made your tire do, near max pressure on the sidewall is where you should be. Also remember Kaw made that recommendation based on the factory tire not what you are running now.

99% of the tires that fit my bike say 42max too. So Kawi must be doing somthing right.

Anything under 38 on the rear on the street with sport touring tires will reduce tire life considerably.  It will also negativity effect handling and feel.

Sport touring tires are designed to heat quickly at higher pressure than a sport or track tire.

36F and 40R is a good starting point.  If you have a heavy bike or weight over 200 pounds, I would go up from there.

I am 300# with gear and also run a GT spec rear and normal front.  There really is no decernable difference between a "GT" spec or regular tire that I can feel.  My only indication was about 2500 more miles on the "GT" and a much more even wear pattern, kept its profile and did not flat spot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, whaler said:

Sport touring tires are designed to heat quickly at higher pressure than a sport or track tire.

You sure about that?  That's contrary to most of what I've read about ST tires. 

ST tires are designed to run cooler than sport or track tires.  They're also designed to have lots grip at those lower temps.  

15 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

You sure about that?  That's contrary to most of what I've read about ST tires. 

ST tires are designed to run cooler than sport or track tires.  They're also designed to have lots grip at those lower temps.  

They heat to operating temp faster, which is cooler than sport tires, should have added more detail.  Bottom line if you run too low of pressure they will overheat and live a very short life.

Edited by whaler

I used to run 36 in the front and 39 in the back.  Now since I have gained some weight I shifted to 37 in the front and 40 in the rear and noticed a little better handling.  Tire wear is the same.  I loved my Bridgestone BT023s (now the T30) on my first FZ1. Great tires all the way around.  Currently my bike has Pilot Power 2cts.  Not going to get the mileage out of the rear, but that is expected for a more sporty tire.  I purchased a new Pilot Road 2 for the rear and will be keeping the Pilot power on the front.  I have heard it will be a great combo.

I usually just run whatever the recommend pressure for 2 up is. I figure, 220 -230 full gear and loaded bag. 

I figure 2 Asian people would probably weigh that.

Edited by zx3vfr