Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

Ok...those of you attending or considering attending.

It is getting hard to make this giant circle in 4 days. And we have daylight issues that time of year, it won't be sunny till 9pm.  We need to make some time at some point, and we need to cut some of the usual stuff out.

Are you ok with going down 16 Saturday and having a blast...then 60 miles of freeway after that to get to Johnson City?

Are you ok with skipping the Blood Mtn area and the Skyway?

Doing those two things makes it work. I know it sucks but if we don't we are all looking at a giant slab ride home on Tuesday.

I'm with you Tim. But trying to accommodate the more sporty bikers. I like them and dont want to make them miserable. Compromise...fun for all and all that bullshit.

There will be a pop quiz each morning though on the route. Bastards need to know the route before they take off on their own. Blaming me when they get lost is a real fag move.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I'm good with any route, as long as it's pavement, it's probably good down in that area.

There is like a half a mile of groomed gravel as we cut through a trailer park. It saves us about 10 miles of stop lights.

Gravel is no big deal anymore, Danimal has showed me that. Somtimes you find the coolest stuff off the beaten path. I ran through several miles of gravel roads last year in Virginia and Tennessee mountians. Seen some awsome views and interesting sights. Only negative from last year was I smashed a flat spot on ny head pipe from a rain washout on a forest service road, connie needs more ground clearance..lol

2c4a727913971748cbbf51df902c2b99.jpg
9a17759f4f276d4e21192c6b565afa9c.jpg

I've done it on 2 different bikes, once on the TL and it was dry as hell. The second time on big Vee, it was a little wet but not bad. Took a rental car on it once when it was soupy as shit, was driving a HHR and got passed by a honda fit once I let them go around.

Put me down for a maybe, as long as you don't mind stopping every 100 miles for gas, the DRZ has a tiny tank :)

Also I hate freeway, but will do a few miles to make it work. Will not do a multi hour freeway ride, I can add a travel day to avoid that. :( 

I need a good moto trip this year, committing to this will give me a good excuse to take a few days off. 

Craig

Edited by CBBaron

2 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Put me down for a maybe, as long as you don't mind stopping every 100 miles for gas, the DRZ has a tiny tank :)

Also I hate freeway. :(

That is pretty much when I stop any way. As for the freeway, we all hate it. But sometimes you have to get where you are going to get. :)

Second post updated also with routes and hotels and they are below. I would hold of making reservations for a few days until we are sure there are no changes. 

Take a good look at them, make specific suggestions gang....make them better.  There will be a test each morning on the route for that day.

Saturday Oct 15th
Beckley WV to Johnson City TN  203 miles  4hr 44min
https://goo.gl/maps/KhmLfB4UnJx
Red Roof Inn   $55
210 Broyles Dr, Johnson City, TN 37601
redroof.com

Sunday October 16th
Johnson City to Clayton, GA  316 miles  8hr 37mi
https://goo.gl/maps/LYNFipMat6y
Days Inn Clayton   $55
54 Highway 441 North, Clayton, GA 30525
daysinn.com

Monday October 17th
Clayton, GA to Rocky Top, TN  328 miles  8hr 33min
https://goo.gl/maps/VciyQbmbZEx
Econo Lodge  $59
221 Colonial Ln, Rocky Top, TN 37769
choicehotels.com

Tuesday October 18th
Rocky Top, Tn to home
C-bus area peeps can blast up to Lexington and then 62 to home.
NEO people can do that or cut across 119 to Charleston WV and then up.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

BTW, that section of 116 just before we get to Rocky Top on Monday is 'The Devil's Triangle' that some of you may have heard of.  Oh hell, who am I kidding. You sockfuckers didn't even look at the routes.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Life decided I needed a stiff smack in the balls.  Put me in Casper's group.

Shit, I forgot about that. No, @Casper 's group is for people that suck. You have your own special group now.

Edited by Tonik

Looks like some fun routes and alot of miles. 

I'm thinking it is going to take 2 days to get back to NEO from Rocky Top. To do it in one day would require atleast 4 hours of freeway :( I don't think I am up for that kind of abuse, especially after 4 hard days.

I better order than Seat Concepts seat for the DRZ :D

Craig

1 minute ago, CBBaron said:

Looks like some fun routes and alot of miles. 

I'm thinking it is going to take 2 days to get back to NEO from Rocky Top. To do it in one day would require atleast 4 hours of freeway :( I don't think I am up for that kind of abuse, especially after 4 hard days.

I better order than Seat Concepts seat for the DRZ :D

Craig

Yea, I tried really hard to get us to Lexington Monday, but it would have been tough.  I cut a lot just to get us to Rocky Top.

• Tonik unpinned this topic