Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

I had a DRZ for awhile...I'll be impressed if your ass can do the whole ride - literally. I tried the gel seat and a seat concepts seat and I couldn't take more than a few hours seat time without getting super uncomfortable. But, it depends on your weight/build too...some people have no issues. Worst case you can take a more direct route on some parts to cut off time so you can give your bum a rest :)

1 hour ago, CBBaron said:

I'm a little concerned about keeping up, but much more so about my ability to endure riding an unfaired bike with a narrow seat for that many hours. 

Ibuprofen. 600 mg starting first thing Saturday, then every 6 hours for the rest of the trip.

Bicycle shorts under your stuff.  The extra padding and compression helps a TON. 

Move around as much as you can.  I know your options are limited but even little movements help a ton.  Move foward and back on the seat, move your feet...heels on the pegs..toes.  Do it often, every 15 minutes or so.  Also stand up on your pegs if you can.......

We won't be going that fast on the freeway Saturday. That stretch of 81 is HIGH enforcement.  I will be surprised if you can't keep up with me on 2 lane, I am fast but that bike of yours will move along real well.  Dan was able to keep up with me with his China bike and that is a 250. I had him on the straights but he could carry way more speed in the corners.

Depending on the size of the group the range of bikes, we could end up with a few packs with their own pace. Jim would you say the pace we did last year was medium to medium fast? I know there were a few times Timmy went on ahead to blast out some of his favorite roads. I was perfectly fine with the pace we did.

Just now, ScubaCinci said:

Depending on the size of the group the range of bikes, we could end up with a few packs with their own pace. Jim would you say the pace we did last year was medium to medium fast? I know there were a few times Timmy went on ahead to blast out some of his favorite roads. I was perfectly fine with the pace we did.

Yea, medium to medium fast...but a tiny bit slower on the really tight corners due to my limited lean.

Just now, Danimal said:

I'll be on the SV for this gig Jim

Yep, was just giving Craig a point of reference.  His bike is faster than your China bike, and you were obviously fine for that short rune we had together up 28 in the spring.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Ibuprofen. 600 mg starting first thing Saturday, then every 6 hours for the rest of the trip.

Bicycle shorts under your stuff.  The extra padding and compression helps a TON. 

Move around as much as you can.  I know your options are limited but even little movements help a ton.  Move foward and back on the seat, move your feet...heels on the pegs..toes.  Do it often, every 15 minutes or so.  Also stand up on your pegs if you can.......

We won't be going that fast on the freeway Saturday. That stretch of 81 is HIGH enforcement.  I will be surprised if you can't keep up with me on 2 lane, I am fast but that bike of yours will move along real well.  Dan was able to keep up with me with his China bike and that is a 250. I had him on the straights but he could carry way more speed in the corners.

I'll add the Ibuprofen to the tank bag.

I have the bicycle shorts covered, I cycle regularly so have a good supply, and they do help.

Moving is much easier on a dual sport, there is no "one" spot for sitting. Standing is easy on this style of bike. I'm usually out of the seat when hitting dirt roads.

I think the DRZ has about 10 (50%) more hp than the China bike and sticky road rubber. If Dan can hang with the China bike the only reason I couldn't hang with the DRZ is rider skill :(

Time to reserve the hotel rooms and order that Seat Concepts seat :D

Craig  

Moving the thread to the Gap folder.  Some dumbass started the thread in the wrong spot.  Also, attached are Sygic routes for each day.  Sunday and Monday are split into two parts.

Mon Part 1 2016 Gap Trip.itf

Mon Part 2 2016 Fall Gap Trip v2.itf

Sat 2016 Fall Gap Trip.itf

Sun Part 1 2016 Fall Gap Trip.itf

Sun Part 2 2016 Fall Gap Trip v2.itf

You probably mentioned this and I missed it but; the meet up spot is at the BP(I believe it is) there off exit 42 on 16 in Beckley? That's where your maps put it but don't remember anyone actually saying "at the BP". And Noon is still the time correct?

@Danimal & @blue72beetle were you two guys going to share a room? If so one of you need to book them. That way myself and @JustinNck1 can split the ones I have booked. Don't want any miscommunication and someone not having a bed.

Edited by 2talltim

10 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

It's in the middle of the thread, maybe a mod can add it to the OP ;)

Done! All us mods have the powers, only some of us have the brains, I was blessed with the good looks so I did think of that. Good suggestion. I'm still learning.

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

@Danimal & @blue72beetle were you two guys going to share a room? If so one of you need to book them. That way myself and @JustinNck1 can split the ones I have booked. Don't want any miscommunication and someone not having a bed.

I'm in Utah right now for work. I'll probably have time tonight to make the calls and get rooms.

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Moving the thread to the Gap folder.  Some dumbass started the thread in the wrong spot.  Also, attached are Sygic routes for each day.  Sunday and Monday are split into two parts.

Mon Part 1 2016 Gap Trip.itf

Mon Part 2 2016 Fall Gap Trip v2.itf

Sat 2016 Fall Gap Trip.itf

Sun Part 1 2016 Fall Gap Trip.itf

Sun Part 2 2016 Fall Gap Trip v2.itf

Loaded these up to my phone and everything looks good.

• Tonik unpinned this topic