Best fuel to use? - a list

ReconRat

Always wondered about where to find high detergent gasoline. Keep the engine clean inside, I suppose. The only one I really knew about was Shell. Here's the list of the top of the line fuel sources. Guess I was doing ok with most of the places I fuel up at.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

I just filled up at Costco today. They're about 50 cents a gallon less than Shell for premium.  The worst gas hands down is at Getgo, I think the chards of dinosaur bones clog the injectors.

Never seen a Getgo, but around here UDF sells absolute shit gas; I think it's hard to get it to light off on a pile of brush!

I worry more about how clean and water-free the gas is.  As far as octane and cleaning I carry a small small metal can of Marvel Mystery Oil mixed with Toulene.  Get the toulene at Homo Depot; use it to promote a slow burn.  MMO from Wally World cleans, lubes a bit and is something of a pre-detonation deterrent.  Why don't I just buy 93 octane at the pump?  Glad you asked.

Next time you're at a pump filling a bike, ask yourself what the person before you pumped.  Probably 87 (or 85 E-15).  There you are...punched the 91 or 93 octane button and paying about $.50 to $.75 a gallon more.  But that hose and its filter holds at least a gallon if not 2 of whatever the guy before you pumped.  Now try to guesstimate size and length of the pipe inside that pump and maybe under it.  Let's assume it's holding another gallon of the cheap shit.  Remember how much you're paying for premium?  Feel a little bit fucked?  I see guys on other bikes buying premium all the time.  I'm a nice guy, I let them go first.   Most times they buy premium.

Now I'm curious.  I ride a Harley and have no idea what most foreign bikes are suppose to be burning.  What octane are you all burning in what you ride?

53 minutes ago, jschaf said:

I just filled up at Costco today. They're about 50 cents a gallon less than Shell for premium.  The worst gas hands down is at Getgo, I think the chards of dinosaur bones clog the injectors.

Damn, I use fuel perks all the time ?

Most of you know that ALL the gas in most of Ohio comes from 2-3 refineries only?  It does not pay to ship gas long distances because of placard cost.

BP - Toledo

Sun - Toledo

BP/Husky - Lima (Jet-A and Diesel)

Marathon - Canton

If you think there is much difference other than marketing, keep believing that.

Extreem southern and eastern Ohio may get fuel from the Mobil refinery in PA.

Gas tank condition and ethanol content will be the biggest factors in fuel quality.

Edited by whaler
  • Upvote 1

Additives are added per the customer destination when the tanker truck leaves the fuel depot. Otherwise, yeah, all fuel is same source, either high or low octane. Well, diesel...

• Upvote 1

Also noticed the fuel down here in Florida isn't the high ethanol stuff. It's still a low percent ethanol. And I know what a tank of water/crap fuel is like, I've hit that 2 or 3 times along freeways between Ohio and Florida. Seems like that's where it will happen, on an interstate freeway. Even got a tank of crap on the bike from a Shell station last year in Georgia. Could feel the bike choking on it, till I got more fuel.

Edited by ReconRat

11 hours ago, ReconRat said:

Additives are added per the customer destination when the tanker truck leaves the fuel depot. Otherwise, yeah, all fuel is same source, either high or low octane. Well, diesel...

This is correct, but accounts for maybe 5-10% of total volume.  Not enough to make or break overall quality.  Unfortunately the higher octane fuels contain the highest amount of ethanol, as it is used to bump octane.  BP Toledo refines at 86 and 90, although this may have changed.

edit:  confirmed they produce 84 and 91.

Edited by whaler

All I know is that if you are using Getgo gas & your vehicle starts running sluggishly that a tank of Shell V-Power or similar Top Tier gas has a good chance of restoring performance.  My firsthand experience with this will not allow me to believe that Getgo gas (at least in the Cleveland area) is not crap.  If you can use it without problems that's great.

My GSXS1000 requires 90. It seems most places in Indiana have 87, 89 and 93, so I go for the 93. The extra price isn't that ridiculous especially when you're only filling a 4.5 gallon bike tank. Plus, like Wandering Soul said above, the 87 in the hose probably evens it out.

Everything else uses 87 except for my New Beetle Turbo S, it takes 91. I could probably piss in the V-Strom's tank and it'd run fine.

On 3/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, Wandering Soul said:

But that hose and its filter holds at least a gallon if not 2 of whatever the guy before you pumped. 

1 hour ago, blue72beetle said:

Plus, like Wandering Soul said above, the 87 in the hose probably evens it out.

The hose may look big on the outside, but it is small on the inside.  The opposite of the TARDIS btw.  About 2/10'ths of a gallon is all you get ripped off for.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

About 2/10'ths of a gallon is all you get ripped off for.

+$ .001 change they never give.

Is the valve on the handle end or the pump end? Top mounted hoses keep dripping after the lever is released. 

Edited by motocat12

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

The hose may look big on the outside, but it is small on the inside.  The opposite of the TARDIS btw.  About 2/10'ths of a gallon is all you get ripped off for.

That is almost 20% of most of my fill ups :D

Luckily the DRZ likes 87 just fine. The advantages of riding modest performing 90s tech. :D

I don't think I have put $5 in a tank yet. The Fall Gap trip had a bunch of $3 charges every day for gas at the pump and another $3 for a drink and/or snack. 

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter what gas you put in it. If it runs rough go back into the gas station and get a bottle of NOS. It’s in a blue bottle with a orange cap, they keep it in the cooler next to the energy drinks because that where the Gixxer riders head first and that's their target audience and it works better when it's chilled. Works like a cold air intake except in the fuel. Pour that into your tank and your all set. If you want a extra boost of Powa pour in 2 bottles and you'll be the fastest mofo on the road.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 4

Most modern day japanese streetbikes ( even with an upfitted aftermarket exhaust on a street tune ) should be fine running 89 mid grade.  Unless it's euro ( like both mine ), then the factory tune likely demands 91+ octane.  I recall a conversation I had with Brock Davidson ( Brocks Performance ) years ago...and if memory serves, he said he tunes all streetbikes he works on to run mid grade 89 octane.  After a lot of dyno/fuel testing, he said they've found that 89 octane has the best atomization rates in injected systems, so for street use that's their go to.