What do you do with your gear

coolblue

So we are still pretty new to riding and still trying to figure stuff out. What does everyone do with their gear when out and about? We went to Easton today and debated about carrying the gear with us or leaving it with the bikes. Has anyone ever had anything stolen when left with the bike?

And I guess this is only a valid question if you wear gear :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually shove our gloves in the trunk, attach the helmets under the seat, then carry the jackets in, wear the pants/boots. Unless were someplace I feel safe, then I'll drape the coat over the mirrors/windscreen. But that's not too often.

So we are still pretty new to riding and still trying to figure stuff out. What does everyone do with their gear when out and about? We went to Easton today and debated about carrying the gear with us or leaving it with the bikes. Has anyone ever had anything stolen when left with the bike?

And I guess this is only a valid question if you wear gear :D

Leave the helmnet locked to the hooks.

Master lock makes a rope lock, you can run it though one of your jacket sleeves and/or pans and leave the it fixed to the bike's frame.

Never do this at a bar; you don't want some drunk pissing in your helmet (hasn't happened to me but someone else I know)

only time I've ever been to easton on the bike with gear on was to get out of a pop up thunder storm, so we usually just parked the bikes in the garage and wore our gear in but strapped the helmets to the bike.

+1

helmet lock the helmet, wear the jacket...

What I do with my gear depends on where it is I'm going. For a quick trip to the store I lock the helmet to the bike and leave my gloves and glasses in the bag. Walmart sells a cable gun lock that works brilliantly as a helmet lock. The jacket stays on because it looks cool. If I'm going to be indoors for a while (i.e. sitting in classes all day or hanging with friends) I'll bring my helmet with me. I don't like the idea of it baking in the sun all day long.

^ if im goign to be leaving the helmet with the bike for a bit, thats what i use. i got a python bike lock. its about 5 feet long. when i had a grab rail i wrapped it around that. now i just wrap it around the frame. since its long you can put it through the sleeves of your jacket too.

i mean, if someone wants your shit bad enough, they will get it. but for the casual theif, i think its enough of a deterrant. you dont have to make your shit impenetrable. just harder to steal than the guy parked next to you :)

:offtopic:

That reminds of the joke about the two guys running from an angry bear. The one guy stops to put on his tennis shoes and the other guy asks him why the heck he's stopping with a bear chasing them. He responds I've only gotta outrun you, not the bear...

I usually have a pair of saddlebags on my bike and will keep a cable lock in it. Using that and some clevel weave spots I have managed to lock 2 jackets and 2 helmets to my bike rather securely putting the lock in a spot that if you didn't know where it was you wouldn't find it.