(another) Nitrous Question

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235

well, if i get this job, im planning on getting a nitrous kit for my slow ass civic. what shot could it handle without blowing anything? i was thinking either 50-75 shot. what kind too, wet/dry? and what "brand" is a good one?

and i also heard that if you get nitrous, you need to retard your timing so much per shot or something like that :confused:

Any good nitrous websites (Q & A) ones that i can just read to learn about nitrous too would help too, thanks graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest Paint-stripper
For your Civic I would go with the Zex kit. It's pretty much fool proof. With less than 50 shots, you don't really have to worry retard your timing. The rule of thump is 2 degree for every 50 shots after the first 50. So it's 2 degree retard for 100, and 4 degree for 150, and go on. Hope this will help.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Paint-stripper:

For your Civic I would go with the Zex kit. It's pretty much fool proof. With less than 50 shots, you don't really have to worry retard your timing. The rule of thump is 2 degree for every 50 shots after the first 50. So it's 2 degree retard for 100, and 4 degree for 150, and go on. Hope this will help.

thanks graemlins/thumb.gif what shot do you recommend for a D16? 75? 100?

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by i'll never be fast:

thanks graemlins/thumb.gif what shot do you recommend for a D16? 75? 100?

You need to consider the condition of the motor first. How many miles on the engine? Does it burn any oil? Start low and work up. Changing to a bigger jet is easier than fixing a blowd apart motor. I'm sure one of the Honda guys will post a reccomended max for that motor.

On your D16 I wouldn't put anything over 75, depending on miles I'd go with the 75. If you want to keep driving the car I wouldn't go more then 8 seconds on the bottle, trust me. Damn 1/16 of an inch piston rings. Honda needs to address that.

I've heard bad things about ZEX.... but to each their own... I have an NX kit, and I know allot of people with NX kits..... NX is one of the best on the market..... I would go with either that, or NOS, but personally, myself, NOS = Fast and the Furious assholes..... :D

on the shot, start out on a 35, then maybe try a 50.... rule of thumb I heard was you can be safe with 20 shot per cyl.

Originally posted by YMN:

I've heard bad things about ZEX.... but to each their own... I have an NX kit, and I know allot of people with NX kits..... NX is one of the best on the market..... I would go with either that, or NOS, but personally, myself, NOS = Fast and the Furious assholes..... :D

on the shot, start out on a 35, then maybe try a 50.... rule of thumb I heard was you can be safe with 20 shot per cyl.

That's ok, they used NX kits in the sequal. :D

Spraying anymore than a 50-60 shot on a D16 is asking for it IMO.

Nx is the best stuff out there IMO. I got a nos wet kit and this winter I am goin with a NX kit. Everything on a NX kit is bigger i.e. the solenoids are 2x bigger then the NOS brand. That means that you get the most out of your jets.

Guest gs-rpower95
Originally posted by CR's King of Racing C5:

Nx is the best stuff out there IMO. I got a nos wet kit and this winter I am goin with a NX kit. Everything on a NX kit is bigger i.e. the solenoids are 2x bigger then the NOS brand. That means that you get the most out of your jets.

(this is, i'll never be fast)

definitley going to get the NX kit, probbaly start out at 50, then move up later.

Sam, i like your setup you have on your 'vette (the switch, button, and gauge) graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest infamous me 235
well i think im gonna get a ZEX kit (because i can get a good deal on them), is that a good one? probbaly the 50 shot. how hard is it to change out the jets to up it higher to say a 75? do i have to buy all new ones or what? how much they run?

While you might think this as far as NOS, they have been in business for a long time and deal with all markets from little import power adders like wqhat we are talking about here to 1000+ HP systems that a custom one offs. Experience rules.

My sugestion for what it's worth is call all three, tell em what you got as far as motor and the mods to it. See what the support people are like and what they have to say in general. Then you will know who you will want to talk to later when you want more power and what it will take to get it, or if you have installation or support questions.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by i'll never be fast:

well i think im gonna get a ZEX kit (because i can get a good deal on them), are they pretty good? I'm probably the 50 shot. how hard is it to change out the jets to up it higher to say a 75? do i have to buy all new ones or what? how much they run?

im with the NX crowd.. currently im just running a 50 shot but i will be upping to 75 once i get a bottle heater. my bottle pressure is a little low even when its full and i dont want to risk it. at any rate NX and Zex were around the same price when i was looking into getting a kit. With Zex you run the chance of running lean because its a nitrous only jet, where NX has a nitrous and a fuel jet to prevent you from leaning out too much.

Im unfamiliar with hondas but what car is the D16 in? is that the EX motor?

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Tiburon Tuner:

im with the NX crowd.. currently im just running a 50 shot but i will be upping to 75 once i get a bottle heater. my bottle pressure is a little low even when its full and i dont want to risk it. at any rate NX and Zex were around the same price when i was looking into getting a kit. With Zex you run the chance of running lean because its a nitrous only jet, where NX has a nitrous and a fuel jet to prevent you from leaning out too much.

Im unfamiliar with hondas but what car is the D16 in? is that the EX motor?

yeah its the EX motor, D16. im just tired of going sloooow all the time and just want some fun for once :D and to kick my friends asses too ;)graemlins/bubbrubb.gif

From my experience with small motors and spray. I would go with a Zex. HOWEVER , With a "Zex 50 shot", I would expect a 30 horsepower increase at the wheels. With a 75 shot, somewhere near a 50 hp increase PROVIDING there is enough fuel there to be burn with the increase oxygen content from Nitrous. I dont normally come on here solicitng dyno business. But if you are going to spray, you need to consider getting on a dyno with a wide band o2 sensor. I charge $85.00 for three pulls with O2 and $100.00 to tune. I have quite a bit of hands on with dry kits and I do installs as well. My number is in the sig if you have any questions.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Mobile Chassis Dyno:

From my experience with small motors and spray. I would go with a Zex. HOWEVER , With a "Zex 50 shot", I would expect a 30 horsepower increase at the wheels. With a 75 shot, somewhere near a 50 hp increase PROVIDING there is enough fuel there to be burn with the increase oxygen content from Nitrous. I dont normally come on here solicitng dyno business. But if you are going to spray, you need to consider getting on a dyno with a wide band o2 sensor. I charge $85.00 for three pulls with O2 and $100.00 to tune. I have quite a bit of hands on with dry kits and I do installs as well. My number is in the sig if you have any questions.

def. give you a call if i get it.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by CR's King of Racing C5:

Brian, isnt the rule for nitrous is jet it until the motor blows then back down 2 jets.

*This is only a joke, do not take this personally, do not blow your motor up*

Naw bitch. Real men don't use jets. We just stick the bottle right in the airbox and open it remotely. Get all the good stuff at once.